-   -   (Newebie.) Adept, Synaptic and OpenOffice: still unpredictable installation results. (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/41131-newebie-adept-synaptic-openoffice-still-unpredictable-installation-results.html)

Bas Roufs 01-18-2008 08:29 PM

(Newebie.) Adept, Synaptic and OpenOffice: still unpredictable installation results.

Dear everybody

My attempts to install software packages via SYNAPTIC and ADEPT still
have unpredictable results.
On one hand, I did manage to successfully install several language
modules for OpenOffice: dictionaries, spell-checkers, hyphenation tools
and thesauruses for different languages. On the other hand, attempts to
install HELP software for the same OpenOffice suite have failed so far.
According to both SYNAPTIC and ADEPT, five help software packages of
OpenOffice have been installed in my system: openoffice.org-help-nl,
openoffice.org-help-en-gb and help packages in three other languages.
However, I do not manage to access any single version amongst them: not
via one of the OpenOffice applications, also not via the OpenOffice
quick starter or the general K-Menu. Can anybody give me an advise how
to fix this problem?

Thanks and have a good weekend.

Bas.

Donn 01-19-2008 04:08 AM

(Newebie.) Adept, Synaptic and OpenOffice: still unpredictable installation results.

Bas, I don't really use ooo but here are some thoughts.
Go to: [/usr/lib/openoffice/help] and see what's installed. If there are files
there (under dirs like 'en' and 'nl') then it's at least installed.

Next, check your language settings in the system settings - perhaps ooffice
cannot find your locale. If you press F1 in ooo, do you get any help at all?

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. --
Abraham Lincoln

Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/