Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Ingolf Steinbach

Default Display problems in task bar

Hi,

This is the normal look of my task bar:

http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_normal.png

Sometimes, the bar is displayed darker like in

http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_darker.png

or even

http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_weird.png

In the latter case, the border between black and dark gray background
within the task bar seems to always be at the same place.

Is this intended? Is this a known problem? If your answer is "badly
supported graphics card" (Intel G45/G43 Chipset), then why do the
display problems only show up in the task bar and not also in other
applications?

TIA for your help
Ingolf

Linux helios 2.6.32-24-generic #39-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 28 05:14:15 UTC
2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux
(additional information available if needed -- just ask)

Old 08-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Wes Hardin

In my experience, the difference between the normal and the "darker" one look
like the difference between having compositing on (and transparency enabled) and
compositing off (and no transparency). It's sometimes hard to tell if you have
a semi-transparent panel if you also have a fairly solid background image, but
if you put something with some texture as your background, the difference
between semi-transparent and opaque is more noticeable. Now why it would go
from semi-transparent to opaque is another question. I would conjecture either
because of a low power/power savings condition on a laptop (which may disable
compositing) or a mis-configured Xorg conf (which may disable compositing
altogether). You don't state what events take place between seeing the normal
bar and either of the other two examples, so it's tough to guess what might have
happened.

I have seen the same issue as the "weird" one, but that was during alpha testing
a few releases back. Haven't run into it in recent memory.
--
/* Wes Hardin */

Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Monday, August 09, 2010 03:48:03 pm you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the normal look of my task bar:
>
> http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_normal.png
>
> Sometimes, the bar is displayed darker like in
>
> http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_darker.png
>
> or even
>
> http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_weird.png
>
> In the latter case, the border between black and dark gray background
> within the task bar seems to always be at the same place.

I had a look like "weird" and cured it by installing the Klassic theme. It
gives me a nice even light gray panel.

-Jerry

Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 PM
Ingolf Steinbach

2010/8/9 Wes Hardin <wes.hardin@maxim-ic.com>:
> I would conjecture either because of a low power/power savings
> condition on a laptop (which may disable compositing)

It is a desktop. I do not use power savings functionality (at least
not deliberately).

> or a mis-configured
> Xorg conf (which may disable compositing altogether).

It is the default Xorg config which had been established during the
installation of Kubuntu.

>*You don't state what
> events take place between seeing the normal bar and either of the other two
> examples, so it's tough to guess what might have happened.

Sorry. The problems appear after logging in (after power-on). Logging
out and in again seems to throw the dice again and may lead to a
different scenario. It can happens to any user in the system (not just
me) even for newly created ones (i.e. without any modification of
configuration settings).

> I have seen the same issue as the "weird" one, but that was during alpha
> testing a few releases back. *Haven't run into it in recent memory.

Which release are you using currently? It's Kubuntu 10.04 LTS amd64 here.

Kind regards
Ingolf

Old 10-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Ingolf Steinbach

Hi again.

2010/8/9 Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf.steinbach@googlemail.com>:
> This is the normal look of my task bar:
> * *http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_normal.png
> Sometimes, the bar is displayed darker like in
> * *http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_darker.png
> or even
> * *http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_weird.png

The above problems went away a few weeks later (probably by some
updated package). After about a year of continuous *normal*
appearance, the task bar looks weird again. This seems to be related
to yesterday's update of the xserver. The second update of the xserver
(distributed today, something has been backed out according to the
description of the update) did not change the situation.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards
Ingolf

Kubuntu 10.04.3 LTS
Linux helios 2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 13 19:39:17 UTC
2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Intel G45/G43 Chipset

Old 10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Mark Fraser

On Thursday 20 Oct 2011 19:35:57 Ingolf Steinbach wrote:

> Hi again.

> 2010/8/9 Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf.steinbach@googlemail.com>:

> > This is the normal look of my task bar:

> > * *http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_normal.png

> > Sometimes, the bar is displayed darker like in

> > * *http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_darker.png

> > or even

> > * *http://www.jetzweb.de/ingolf/screendump_weird.png

> The above problems went away a few weeks later (probably by some

> updated package). After about a year of continuous *normal*

> appearance, the task bar looks weird again. This seems to be related

> to yesterday's update of the xserver. The second update of the xserver

> (distributed today, something has been backed out according to the

> description of the update) did not change the situation.

> Any suggestions?

*

That looks exactly the same as what I've been experiencing on and off for a while in that the task bar is normally transparent, but sometimes would turn solid.

*