Old 08-09-2010, 07:28 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Default multiple instances of kate?

Perhaps I'm simply inept with google, but I couldn't find an answer to this
seemingly-simple question.

Every time I edit a file with kate (64-bit lucid), it opens the file in a
currently-running instance (if there is one, of course). How do I force a
new instance of kate to be started?

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 08-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Jonas Norlander

2010/8/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Perhaps I'm simply inept with google, but I couldn't find an answer to this
> seemingly-simple question.
>
> Every time I edit a file with kate (64-bit lucid), it opens the file in a
> currently-running instance (if there is one, of course). How do I force a
> new instance of kate to be started?

Hi

There is an option you can use to get a new instance of Kate.
"kate --help" from command lione gives "-n, --new Force start of a
new kate instance (is ignored if start is used and another kate
instance already has the given session opened), forced if no
parameters and no URLs are given at all"

In Systemsettings->Filebindings Choose the filetypes you are using
with Kate and change the options for Kate. For example from "kate -b
%U" to "kate --new %U".

God luck

/ Jonas

Old 08-09-2010, 09:18 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Jonas Norlander said the following at 08/09/2010 01:41 PM :
> 2010/8/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
>> Perhaps I'm simply inept with google, but I couldn't find an answer to this
>> seemingly-simple question.
>>
>> Every time I edit a file with kate (64-bit lucid), it opens the file in a
>> currently-running instance (if there is one, of course). How do I force a
>> new instance of kate to be started?
>>

> Hi
>
> There is an option you can use to get a new instance of Kate.
> "kate --help" from command lione gives "-n, --new Force start of a
> new kate instance (is ignored if start is used and another kate
> instance already has the given session opened), forced if no
> parameters and no URLs are given at all"

Thank you very much.

FWIW, both "--help" and "--new" seem to be missing from the man page, so
it's not obvious how a user is supposed to discern this stuff (apart from
asking here).

(There are pointers on the man page to "further information" and "detailed
user documentation", but one hardly expects valid options to be completely
absent from the man page.

Further, there is a "-u" documented on the man page, which tells kate to
use a currently-running instance... it seems rather odd design to define
and document an option that simply provides the default behaviour, and to
fail to document an option that provides the non-default behaviour.)

Doc

PS The "-b" option you mention is also noticeably absent from the man page.
Perhaps I'm the only person left in the world who goes to man pages to see
how to use a command.

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 08-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Jonas Norlander

2010/8/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
> Jonas Norlander said the following at 08/09/2010 01:41 PM :
>> 2010/8/9 D. R. Evans <doc.evans@gmail.com>:
>>> Perhaps I'm simply inept with google, but I couldn't find an answer to this
>>> seemingly-simple question.
>>>
>>> Every time I edit a file with kate (64-bit lucid), it opens the file in a
>>> currently-running instance (if there is one, of course). How do I force a
>>> new instance of kate to be started?
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> There is an option you can use to get a new instance of Kate.
>> "kate --help" from command lione gives "-n, --new *Force start of a
>> new kate instance (is ignored if start is used and another kate
>> instance already has the given session opened), forced if no
>> parameters and no URLs are given at all"
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> FWIW, both "--help" and "--new" seem to be missing from the man page, so
> it's not obvious how a user is supposed to discern this stuff (apart from
> asking here).
>
> (There are pointers on the man page to "further information" and "detailed
> user documentation", but one hardly expects valid options to be completely
> absent from the man page.
>
> Further, there is a "-u" documented on the man page, which tells kate to
> use a currently-running instance... it seems rather odd design to define
> and document an option that simply provides the default behaviour, and to
> fail to document an option that provides the non-default behaviour.)
>
> *Doc
>
> PS The "-b" option you mention is also noticeably absent from the man page.
> Perhaps I'm the only person left in the world who goes to man pages to see
> how to use a command.

I usually first look in the man and if its missing i try searching for
it on the net then i try the command from the command line with the -h
or --help option.
Did the --new option work for you (haven't tried it)?

/ Jonas

Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Jonas Norlander said the following at 08/10/2010 02:11 PM :

> I usually first look in the man and if its missing i try searching for
> it on the net then i try the command from the command line with the -h
> or --help option.
> Did the --new option work for you (haven't tried it)?

Yes it did, thank you very much.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a man page that doesn't at
least mention every possible option that's intended to be used.

(There have historically been some undocumented options for some commands;
but those weren't really supposed to be used by ordinary users.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 08-10-2010, 10:17 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Tuesday 10 August 2010, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Jonas Norlander said the following at 08/10/2010 02:11 PM :
> > I usually first look in the man and if its missing i try
> > searching for it on the net then i try the command from the
> > command line with the -h or --help option.
> > Did the --new option work for you (haven't tried it)?
>
> Yes it did, thank you very much.
>
> I think this is the first time I've ever seen a man page that
> doesn't at least mention every possible option that's intended to
> be used.

You should read "man tar" then and compare the contents to
"info tar". If you have the texinfo documentation for tar installed,
you should notice a huge difference. Same thing goes for bash.

I've yet to see a proper man page for any KDE program - they often
are just outdated copies of "<program> --help-all".

--Reinhold