Old 08-08-2010, 03:10 AM
"giovanni_re"

Default Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, ... Will this _fix_ wifi? ; jor kubuntu

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:57:00 +0200, "Nils Kassube" <kassube@gmx.net>
said:
> giovanni_re wrote:
> I suggested that you install the gnome nm-applet, did you try that?

What is the correct name? That isn't in the apt-cache.
- See the apt-cache searches at the end of this email.

> extra repositories because there aren't any. All Ubuntu flavours are in
> the same place and all the packages are available in all flavours.
> However, your package manager may not show everything if it is that one
> for KDE (sorry, I don't remember the name because I use synaptic
> instead). To get the gnome package (and remove the KDE packages), you
> can use the command line (konsole) with these commands (but I didn't
> check if this works - it is from memory):
>
> sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
> sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement
> nm-applet &

1) Order reversed? - Did you mean to put the install before the remove?
Shouldn´t the remove be done before the install

2) "nm-applet"? That isn't in apt-cache search

3) Was there a line break problem there? What was to be done with the
nm-applet?

4) What was the "&" after the nm-applet?

5) plasma-widget-networkmanagement isn't installed on my system

> Now you should have the extra icon for the gnome network manager in your
> system tray.

So, this get's the gnome network manager stuff in.
Is it your belief that this should result in properly working _wifi_?

Thanks.

:~/apt# dpkg -l | grep network
ii avahi-autoipd 0.6.25-1ubuntu6
Avahi IPv4LL network address configuration d
ii ifupdown 0.6.8ubuntu29
high level tools to configure network interf
ii iproute 20091226-1
networking and traffic control tools
ii iputils-ping 3:20071127-2ubuntu1
Tools to test the reachability of network ho
ii iputils-tracepath 3:20071127-2ubuntu1
Tools to trace the network path to a remote
ii libnm-glib2 0.8-0ubuntu3
network management framework (GLib shared li
ii libnm-util1 0.8-0ubuntu3
network management framework (shared library
ii libqt4-network 4:4.6.2-0ubuntu5
Qt 4 network module
ii libqtscript4-network 0.1.0-3build1
Qt Script bindings for the Qt 4 Network libr
ii libsolidcontrol4 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
Library for solid based network management
ii libsolidcontrolifaces4 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
Library for solid based network interface ma
ii net-tools 1.60-23ubuntu2
The NET-3 networking toolkit
ii netbase 4.35ubuntu3
Basic TCP/IP networking system
ii network-manager 0.8-0ubuntu3
network management framework daemon
ii network-manager-kde 1:0.9~svn1112085-0ubuntu4
KDE system tray applet for controlling Netwo
ii network-manager-pptp 0.8-0ubuntu3
network management framework (PPTP plugin)
ii network-manager-pptp-gnome 0.8-0ubuntu3
network management framework (PPTP plugin, G
ii python-wicd 1.7.0+ds1-2
wired and wireless network manager - Python
ii tcpdump 4.0.0-6ubuntu3
A powerful tool for network monitoring and d
ii wicd 1.7.0+ds1-2
wired and wireless network manager - metapac
ii wicd-daemon 1.7.0+ds1-2
wired and wireless network manager - daemon
ii wicd-gtk 1.7.0+ds1-2
wired and wireless network manager - GTK+ cl

:~/apt# apt-cache search network-manager
knm-runtime - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
network-manager - network management framework daemon
network-manager-dev - network management framework (development files)
network-manager-gnome - network management framework (GNOME frontend)
network-manager-kde - KDE system tray applet for controlling
NetworkManager
network-manager-pptp - network management framework (PPTP plugin)
network-manager-pptp-gnome - network management framework (PPTP plugin,
GNOME UI)
plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE4
Plasma
gnome-main-menu - GNOME start menu applet
netscript-2.4-upstart - Linux 2.4/2.6 router/firewall/VM host network
config. system.
network-manager-openconnect - network management framework (Openconnect
plugin)
network-manager-openconnect-gnome - network management framework
(Openconnect plugin, GNOME UI)
network-manager-openvpn - network management framework (OpenVPN plugin)
network-manager-openvpn-gnome - network management framework (OpenVPN
plugin, GNOME UI)
network-manager-openvpn-kde - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure
(OpenVPN plugin)
network-manager-pptp-kde - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure (PPTP
plugin)
network-manager-strongswan - network management framework (strongSwan
plugin)
network-manager-vpnc - network management framework (VPNC plugin)
network-manager-vpnc-gnome - network management framework (VPNC plugin,
GNOME UI)
network-manager-vpnc-kde - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure (VPNC
plugin)
strongswan-nm - strongSwan plugin to interact with NetworkManager

:~/apt# apt-cache search plasma-widget-networkmanagement
knm-runtime - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE4
Plasma
plasma-widget-networkmanagement-dbg - debugging symbols for KDE Network
Management

:~/apt# dpkg -l | grep plasma
ii kdebase-plasma 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
Transitional package for plasma-widget-folde
ii libplasma-applet-system-monitor4 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
Library for the plasma system monitor
ii libplasma-geolocation-interface4 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
Library for the plasma geolocation
ii libplasma3 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu4
library for the KDE 4 Plasma desktop
ii libplasmaclock4 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
Library for the plasma clock
ii libplasmagenericshell4 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
shared elements for all the plasma shells
ii plasma-dataengines-addons 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
addons for KDE 4 Plasma - data engines
ii plasma-dataengines-workspace 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
KDE 4 base workspace Plasma data engines
ii plasma-desktop 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
The KDE plasma workspace for desktop and lap
ii plasma-scriptengine-javascript 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu4.1
javascript script engine for Plasma
ii plasma-scriptengine-python 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
Python script engine for Plasma
ii plasma-widget-facebook 1.0-0ubuntu1
Plasma Widget for Facebook Updates
ii plasma-widget-folderview 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
Folder View Plasma widget
ii plasma-widget-kimpanel 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
addons for KDE 4 Plasma - universal input me
ii plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
addons for KDE 4 Plasma - universal input me
ii plasma-widget-kubuntu-feedback 0.2-0ubuntu1
Kubuntu feedback plasma widget
ii plasma-widget-message-indicator 0.5.4-0ubuntu1
A Plasma applet to display message indicator
ii plasma-widget-quickaccess 0.8.1-0ubuntu4
An alternate folder display plasma widget
ii plasma-widgets-addons 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu2
addons for KDE 4 Plasma - widgets
ii plasma-widgets-workspace 4:4.4.2-0ubuntu14
KDE 4 base workspace Plasma widgets and cont

:~/apt# apt-cache search plasma-widget
kdebase-plasma - Transitional package for plasma-widget-folderview.
knm-runtime - KDE NetworkManagement infrastructure runtime files
plasma-widget-facebook - Plasma Widget for Facebook Updates
plasma-widget-folderview - Folder View Plasma widget
plasma-widget-ktorrent - KTorrent Plasma widget
plasma-widget-kubuntu-feedback - Kubuntu feedback plasma widget
plasma-widget-message-indicator - A Plasma applet to display message
indicators
plasma-widget-networkmanagement - Network Management widget for KDE4
Plasma
plasma-widget-networkmanagement-dbg - debugging symbols for KDE Network
Management
plasma-widget-quickaccess - An alternate folder display plasma widget
plasma-widgets-workspace - KDE 4 base workspace Plasma widgets and
containments
plasma-widget-adjustableclock - plasma widget clock to show date and
time
plasma-widget-bkodama - Friendly kodama wandering on the desktop
plasma-widget-cpuload - Plasma widget that displays CPU Load
plasma-widget-customizable-weather - a weather plasma widget that is
highly customizable
plasma-widget-daisy - Simple application launcher
plasma-widget-drop2ftp - plasmoid for copy files with every protocol
plasma-widget-droptoimageshack - plasma widget which can upload images
to Imageshack.us
plasma-widget-fancytasks - Plasma widget for representing tasks and
launchers
plasma-widget-flickr - A Flickr Plasma widget for KDE
plasma-widget-fortunoid - plasmoid that shows a quote
plasma-widget-googlecalendar - Plasma Widget for Google calendar
plasma-widget-kbstate - A plasma widget that shows the state of the
modifier keys
plasma-widget-kepas - KDE Easy Publish and Share - Plasmoid
plasma-widget-lastmoid - lastfm widget which displays the weekly artist
chart
plasma-widget-logout - logout button on the desktop or panel
plasma-widget-mail - a Plasma widget that checks for new mail
plasma-widget-makestatus - Plasma widget that shows the status of CMake
builds
plasma-widget-memusage - plasma widget that displays ram and swap usage
plasma-widget-nextwallpaper - plasmoid that changes the current
wallpaper
plasma-widget-pgame - Plasma widget for running games
plasma-widget-playwolf - Controller and a visualizer plasma widget for
Amarok
plasma-widget-runcommand - plasmoid to run commands
plasma-widget-searchmoid - searchbar plasma widget for KDE
plasma-widget-simplemonitor - simple and compact system monitor
plasma-widget-smooth-tasks - alternate task manager Plasma widget
plasma-widget-stockquote - plasma widget which displays stock quotes
plasma-widget-system-status - monitors the average cpu usage
plasma-widget-teacooker - A Teacooker plasma widget for KDE 4
plasma-widget-tictactoe - tic tac toe game for plasma desktop
plasma-widget-toggle-compositing - A plasma widget for toggling desktop
effects
plasma-widget-translatoid - translation widget for KDE Plasma
plasma-widget-tvprogramme - simple XMLTV reader plasma widget
plasma-widget-weatherforecast - weather Plasma widget that shows the
forecast and temperature
plasma-widget-wifi - A Plasma widget that displays WiFi connection
strength
plasma-widget-xbar - Topscreen menubar and simple taskbar Plasma widget
plasma-widget-yawp - Yet Another Weather Plasmoid fetches weather
forecasts for you
plasma-widget-kimpanel - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - universal input
method widget
plasma-widget-kimpanel-backend-ibus - addons for KDE 4 Plasma -
universal input method widget
plasma-widget-lancelot - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - lancelot widget
plasma-widgets-addons - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - widgets
plasma-widget-kdeobservatory - addons for KDE 4 Plasma - KDE development
tracking tool

:~/apt# apt-cache search nm-applet
{nothing}

:~/apt# apt-cache search applet | grep nm
connman-gnome - Intel Connection Manager gnome applet
gnome-inm-forecast - the Spanish weather forecast applet for the GNOME
panel
xfce4-goodies - enhancements for the Xfce4 Desktop Environment

:~/apt# apt-cache search applet | grep network
network-manager-gnome - network management framework (GNOME frontend)
network-manager-kde - KDE system tray applet for controlling
NetworkManager
gpe-mininet - network connectivity monitor for GPE
netapplet - User-friendly network interface control applet
wmifs - WindowMaker dock app for monitoring network traffic

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Nils Kassube

giovanni_re wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 21:57:00 +0200, "Nils Kassube" <kassube@gmx.net>
> said:
> > giovanni_re wrote:
> > I suggested that you install the gnome nm-applet, did you try that?
>
> What is the correct name? That isn't in the apt-cache.
> - See the apt-cache searches at the end of this email.

Sorry about the confusion. The package name is network-manager-gnome and
the command is nm-applet.

> > extra repositories because there aren't any. All Ubuntu flavours
> > are in the same place and all the packages are available in all
> > flavours. However, your package manager may not show everything if
> > it is that one for KDE (sorry, I don't remember the name because I
> > use synaptic instead). To get the gnome package (and remove the
> > KDE packages), you can use the command line (konsole) with these
> > commands (but I didn't check if this works - it is from memory):
> >
> > sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
> > sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde
> > plasma-widget-networkmanagement nm-applet &
>
> 1) Order reversed? - Did you mean to put the install before the
> remove? Shouldn´t the remove be done before the install

If uninstalling the KDE network manager results in loosing the network
it might be better to use the proposed order. Otherwise you can't
download the new packages.

> 2) "nm-applet"? That isn't in apt-cache search
>
> 3) Was there a line break problem there? What was to be done with
> the nm-applet?

In the original mail there was no line break problem but in the quote
above. After installing network-manager-gnome you would start the
command nm-applet because you wouldn't find it in any menu.

> 4) What was the "&" after the nm-applet?

The & starts the command in the background. I added it to make sure you
can close the terminal afterwards without loosing the applet in the
system tray. I'm not sure if it is needed but it sure doesn't hurt. As I
don't have the command installed, I couldn't test if it is needed and
included the & "just in case".

> 5) plasma-widget-networkmanagement isn't installed on my system

That may be - I didn't know what you have on your machine, so I included
both. As an afterthought, you should probably uninstall wicd as well,
because there may be a conflict if both network manager and wicd try to
control the hardware.

> > Now you should have the extra icon for the gnome network manager in
> > your system tray.
>
> So, this get's the gnome network manager stuff in.
> Is it your belief that this should result in properly working
> _wifi_?

The commands I suggested give you the opportunity to try out the gnome
interface to the network manager. I don't know if that _will_ make your
wifi work because there may be other problems, e.g. related to your
hardware. You didn't write if you are still trying to make your Linksys
AE1000 work and if you succeeded. If the hardware isn't properly
supported by the kernel, it wouldn't help to swap the GUI for the
network manager.

Nils