FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default skype on kubuntu?

Knapp wrote:
> > > this list provides
> > > support as would the automatix list. So it is supported.
> >
> > Then, maybe you should point to the Automatix list for support when
> > advertising for Automatix. While Automatix may be supported on the
> > Automatix list it isn't supported here.
>
> I would think you could use Google.

Use Google for what?

> And if you are trying to imply that
> I work of them or am paid in anyway by them then you are way off track
> and starting to sound like a Troll.

I don't think advertising for a free tool implies payment in any form, so
I definitely didn't want to imly that you are paid by the Automatix team.
But thanks for calling me a troll.

> > > Not giving advice because you feel that it is not as good as some
> > > other advice servers no one. Giving advice with the pros and cons
> > > is much better IMHO.
> >
> > But you didn't tell anything about pros and cons when advertising for
> > Automatix.
>
> How old are you anyway?

Sorry, why could my age be relevant here?

> This is getting way passive aggressive.
> You want cons then check out this.

No, I didn't ask for cons. Its just that you wrote about giving advice
with pros and cons. However in your initial mail in this thread you only
advised to use Automatix without mentioning any pros or cons. I think you
are participating on this list and on the ubuntu-users list long enough
to know that many people had problems after using Automatix. Therefore it
might have been wise to include some hint that Automatix is a bit
controversial.


Nils

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default skype on kubuntu?

Knapp wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2007 11:30 AM, Terence Simpson <stdin@stdin.me.uk> wrote:
>
>
> Really all GPL software is used at your own risk and unsupported unless
> you go to some company and buy support. That said, this list provides
> support as would the automatix list.

It might. It's still a damned bad idea to go telling people to use
automatix, when the Ubuntu developers and _almost_ everybody on this list
will tell you not to.

> Not giving advice because you feel that it is not as good as some other
> advice servers no one. Giving advice with the pros and cons is much better

Telling someone to install Automatix "because it worked for me" is
essentially "not giving advice". There are no pros and cons there -
_every_ post I've seen suggesting automatix has conveniently left out the
big con - that it may leave your system in a broken configuration.

Terence, otoh, told the poster why it would be a bad idea.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default skype on kubuntu?

Knapp wrote:

>> But you didn't tell anything about pros and cons when advertising for
>> Automatix.
>
>
> How old are you anyway? This is getting way passive aggressive.

You're the one being childish here.

> There are plenty of places that a person can find a fair and even account
> of what Automatix can and can't do. The Devs even wrote a really nice bit
> about there thoughts. It was not all bad.

Of _course_ it's not all bad. Automatix is a _great_ idea. But it was
designed (if I can use the term very loosely) poorly. Since that point,
and especially since Ubuntu started warning about how bad it could be for
your system, the automatix developers have tried very hard to make it into
a tool that _will_ work safely with Ubuntu.

> I have read that Automatix is also being debated by the Devs for inclusion
> in future releases and liked by more that half of the users. Can it be all
> bad?

And when they get it to the point that it won't interfere with Ubuntu, I'm
sure it _will_ be included. It isn't there yet.

> One more question. Have you ever known of anyone having problems with
> an upgrade with apt-get or the like?

Of course - and _that_ isn't ubuntu-supported, either.

> As to Terence, have you had your system wrecked? Or is this like
> alligators in the NY drains?

Childish again.

> On second thought, I am done with this.

Thank god. Please don't troll anymore.

--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Terence Simpson
 
Default skype on kubuntu?

Knapp wrote:
> <SNIP>
> As to Terence, have you had your system wrecked?
Yep, and some friends have too, not to mention the number of people on
#kubuntu IRC whose systems were wrecked.
> Or is this like alligators
> in the NY drains?
Nope.
> What happened? I have never seen a system wrecked but I
> have seen a few small problems. Was the system backed up?
>
Basically killed apt and dpkg. Nothing could be installed or removed at all.
> On second thought, I am done with this. I have been feeding the trolls
> again. There are lots of posts all over the net about this subject. Why
> waste more time? Read, learn, and help open source grow with good vibes and
> good work.
> Douglas
>
I have learnt not to use it and so have others, I have read about it and
I have looked at what it does in detail. It's far too "generic" in it's
source, it will most definitely NOT work for everyone and it easily
breakable (that's one of the reasons it's not supported by the (K)Ubuntu
community).

All advocating automatix serves is to encourage others to install and
possibly damage their systems, then to ask for help only to be told
"Sorry, nothing we can do for you."
This is not just about us saying "don't use it because *we* don't like
it", we are TRYING to protect naive people from installing some
potentially very dangerous software and then not being able to get any
real support when it breaks.

Also, as to you feeling like you're "feeding the trolls". I had the same
debate as to whether I should reply to your comments in the first place,
knowing that you'd reply with some twisted logic about it.
(If you're wondering what I mean by "twisted logic", I'll show you:
"That said, this list provides support as would the automatix list. So
it is supported." )


Terence


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-26-2007, 12:04 PM
"Scott (angrykeyboarder)"
 
Default skype on kubuntu?

Knapp spake thusly :
> If that does not work for you, you can get it to work using Automatix.

In the time it took someone to download and install Automatix, they
could have downloaded and installed Skype.

Overkill wouldn't you say?


--
Scott
http://angrykeyboarder.com
I've never used an OS I didn't (dis)like.
©2007 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 11-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Alexander Smirnov
 
Default skype on kubuntu?

Aristides Kaponides wrote:
> I am completely newbie on Linux.Can we use skype on Kubuntu.I have
> downloaded it but couldnt open it.Explicit instructions are very welcomed.


you should complete three steps, run the following instructions in your
terminal (konsole for example)

1. import Medibuntu repository:
sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/gutsy.list -O
/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list

2.import the gpg-key and update your package-list:
wget -q http://packages.medibuntu.org/medibuntu-key.gpg -O- | sudo
apt-key add - && sudo apt-get update

3. install skype:
apt-get install skype

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:48 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org