Old 08-07-2010, 06:42 PM
"giovanni_re"

Default Wifi GNOME network manager version into KUbuntu, Debian "pinning method, etc. ; jor kubuntu

KUbuntu 10.4,

=
Failing to get wifi to connect to access point. It can see APs, but
fails to get dhcp via command mode, & fails connect with wicd.

=
It has been suggested (on KUbuntu list?) to remove the KU network
manager package, & that might get wicd & console command wifi working.

Previously, I was told that there is more networking success if one
installs Ubuntu (not KUbuntu) [to get the Ubuntu/Gnome network manager
sw], then install KDE on top of that.

=
For a system that was installed as KUbuntu:

Might it be possible to use something like Debian "pinning" to hold back
the KU network manager package, & then install the Ubuntu NetworkManager
package? Guess I'd at least have to ad the Ubuntu repositories to
/etc/apt/sources.list.

There might also be another debian method to do this.

=
Being as Ubuntu is Debian based, is there some way to make this work?

=
I ran Debian from about 2000-2005, so haven't done pinning for a long
time.

=
Thanks

== Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture

Old 08-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Nils Kassube

Please don't cross-post to this list AND ubuntu-users. Thanks.

giovanni_re wrote:
> Failing to get wifi to connect to access point. It can see APs, but
> fails to get dhcp via command mode, & fails connect with wicd.

> Previously, I was told that there is more networking success if one
> installs Ubuntu (not KUbuntu) [to get the Ubuntu/Gnome network
> manager sw], then install KDE on top of that.

I suggested that you install the gnome nm-applet, did you try that?

> Might it be possible to use something like Debian "pinning" to hold
> back the KU network manager package, & then install the Ubuntu
> NetworkManager package? Guess I'd at least have to ad the Ubuntu
> repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list.

I don't think that pinning would help in any way. And you don't need
extra repositories because there aren't any. All Ubuntu flavours are in
the same place and all the packages are available in all flavours.
However, your package manager may not show everything if it is that one
for KDE (sorry, I don't remember the name because I use synaptic
instead). To get the gnome package (and remove the KDE packages), you
can use the command line (konsole) with these commands (but I didn't
check if this works - it is from memory):

sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde plasma-widget-networkmanagement
nm-applet &

Now you should have the extra icon for the gnome network manager in your
system tray.

Nils