Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default 32- or 64-bit

Right,

new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
and what what.

So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
not quite there if I get it?

is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?

Opinions on speed, compatibility issues etc most welcome!

Sinclair

Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 AM

On Friday 06/08/2010 at 4:22 pm, O. Sinclair wrote: Right,

new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
and what what.

So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
not quite there if I get it?

is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?

'Buntu is definitely 64 bit ready.

However flash isn't. If you need flash support in your browser - which is needed for just about any commercial website these days then 64bit will give you a world of headaches, pretty much unusable, either doesn't work, crashes or works very erratically.

Everything else is pretty good. However I doubt you'll notice much speed increase. Unless you have a pressing need for 64bit, such as large amounts of ram, I'd stick with 32bit.

--
Lindsay Mathieson
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home/

*

Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 6 August 2010 07:36, <lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:
> However flash isn't. If you need flash support in your browser - which is
> needed for just about any commercial website these days then 64bit will give
> you a world of headaches, pretty much unusable, either doesn't work, crashes
> or works very erratically.
I am suprised that this FUD still persists. 64 bit ?ubuntu
distributions + flash works perfectly for quite a time.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 06/08/2010 09:26, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 6 August 2010 07:36,<lindsay.mathieson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However flash isn't. If you need flash support in your browser - which is
>> needed for just about any commercial website these days then 64bit will give
>> you a world of headaches, pretty much unusable, either doesn't work, crashes
>> or works very erratically.
> I am suprised that this FUD still persists. 64 bit ?ubuntu
> distributions + flash works perfectly for quite a time.

Point me to some good install instructions as this seems to be the only
tricky part. Adobe are at the moment not supplying 64-bit from their site

Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Alexander Smirnov

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Right,
>
> new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
> and what what.
>
> So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
> future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
> not quite there if I get it?
>
> is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?
>
> Opinions on speed, compatibility issues etc most welcome!

Currently my computer has 4Gb and 64bit KK installed. Since i frequently
execute java-based applications, like Eclipse, Ant, ExecuteQuery, I feel
that it is choking. Probably because these applications consume too much
memory. Earlier, i had 32-bit kubuntu on this computer. I didn't notice
difference when moved to 64-bit .

For my next installation(10.10?), I'm going to move back to 32bit

Old 08-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Tortise

On Friday 06/08/2010 at 4:22 pm, O. Sinclair wrote:
Right,

>>new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
and what what.

>>So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
not quite there if I get it?

>>is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?

>'Buntu is definitely 64 bit ready.

>However flash isn't. If you need flash support in your browser - which is needed for just about any commercial website these days
>then 64bit will give you a world of headaches, pretty much unusable, either doesn't work, crashes or works very erratically.

>Everything else is pretty good. However I doubt you'll notice much speed increase. Unless you have a pressing need for 64bit, such
>as large amounts of ram, I'd stick with 32bit.

Can you show me a flash example that tests 64 bit flash, seems to work ok for me under mythbuntu / ff. Installing is a pain as the
install window gets hidden behind the main window, which if you do not find, then installing fails.

I think the key is that it depends on what you want to do! If you want to do a lot of video work then I've found 64 bit a little
faster, and even bridged some gaps from not possible to possible, e.g. H264 1080i decoding. If you want to do email and write
documents, nothing in it, toss a coin. Also 64bit overcomes the 2G file size limit, which, again depending on what you want to do,
might be relevant. For example emails files >2G probably work(!) on 64 bit files systems.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 05:35:40 pm O. Sinclair wrote:
> Point me to some good install instructions as this seems to be the only
> tricky part. Adobe are at the moment not supplying 64-bit from their site

Adobe have dropped 64bit flash for linux
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 08-06-2010, 10:09 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Friday 06 August 2010, Tortise wrote:
> Also 64bit overcomes the 2G file size limit

What "2G file size limit"?

--Reinhold

Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM
Tortise

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 05:35:40 pm O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Point me to some good install instructions as this seems to be the only
>> tricky part. Adobe are at the moment not supplying 64-bit from their site
>
> Adobe have dropped 64bit flash for linux

Well I suppose so. Thing is I'm still trying to understand what I've just installed in (the last hour, from adobe) 64 bit FF then.
It says 10.1.53.64ubuntu0.10.04.3 flashplugin. Initial testing says its working. Happy to test reference sites. I suppose the
legacy (since 10.04!) flash will disappear soon.... But then I expect there will be further adobe releases....

Lets also not forget the principle thrust of this thread IMO is what the OP expects to / wishes to do.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
"Paul Lemmons"

On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 23:17:39 -0700, O. Sinclair <orion2000za@yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> Right,
>
> new computer on the horizon (next week) and it has 3Gb RAM and iCore 5
> and what what.
>
> So the question is: stay on good-old 32-bit Kubuntu or leap into the
> future of 64-bit? I know the thing about memory addressing but 3Gb is
> not quite there if I get it?
>
> is 64-bit ready? Will I notice improved speed?
>
> Opinions on speed, compatibility issues etc most welcome!
>
> Sinclair

Stick with 32-bit. I have an machine with 18GB RAM and am accessing all of
it using the PAE kernel. Most everything works in 64-bit but all of
everything works 32-bit. Until I can get rid of the "most" in that
statement I will stay with 32-bit.