Old 08-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Brian Lunergan

Default New to the list with a puzzler of a question to ask...

Hi ho all:

Jumped from Ubuntu Heron to Kubuntu Heron a ways back and decided to stay. It
had a nicer interface, put on a better turn of speed, and in general was a more
intuitive fit to my way of computing. It allowed me to control the tool rather
then the other way around.

Over the last couple of weeks I've had the opportunity to try out Kubuntu Lynx,
and frankly, I was SO disappointed I immediately made a new nest for the Heron
and kicked the furball off my system.

Why, you ask? I do not run the latest, greatest, fastest system or connect
through any sort of high-speed internet and I found Lynx to be a resource hog
and a slug on my equipment. I don't need network support (a one machine
household) and I have no need or desire to play with cloud computing, but
pulling these bits off was neither easy or neat. I like to have some control
over the look and feel of my setup, including the desktop, and perhaps I wasn't
looking in the right place but I couldn't find where or how to change the look
of things. I prefer adept for package management on and off. The two part
approach of KDE3 gave much more useful information than the new version.

I know Kubuntu Heron is not LTS so is essentially past its best before date.
Will it disappear from the servers anytime soon or do I have a reasonable
window to keep using it? Is it possible to install a newer version of the OS
but keep the old KDE3 desktop?

Later days, folks...
--
Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario

Old 08-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Isak Enström

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Kde3/Lucid

Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Nils Kassube

Brian Lunergan wrote:
> I know Kubuntu Heron is not LTS so is essentially past its best
> before date. Will it disappear from the servers anytime soon or do I
> have a reasonable window to keep using it?

You can keep using it as long as you want even if it is not on the
server - you just can't get new packages. But I suppose the Hardy
repository will move the server old-releases.ubuntu.com when the support
for the server edition ends.

> Is it possible to install
> a newer version of the OS but keep the old KDE3 desktop?

Have a look at <http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/> (that URL was posted
here a few days ago).

Nils