FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 01:44, Wes Hardin <wes.hardin@maxim-ic.com> wrote:
> How about a combination of ktimer and kdialog?
>
> Ktimer is super simple but fulfills the countdown need well. *I don't know
> if "scheduled" breaks would work for your purposes, but you might be able to
> accomplish what you want with cron too.
>
> Kdialog has a lot of uses and options. *Here's some examples:
>
> kdialog --sorry "Sorry to interrupt, but it's time for a break."
>
> kdialog --passivepopup "Sorry to interrupt, but it's time for a break."
>
> Depends on how disruptive you want it to be.
>

That is rather creative! I think that I will stick with workrave,
though, it does seem to be quite specialized for the purpose. Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Steve Lamb
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

On 08/06/2010 01:18 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Please, people, stay on topic.

And winging completely off topic I have always wondered something. Why
is it that KUbuntu-Users has such an active moderator whereas Ubuntu-Users
can't get rid of its resident trolls because there doesn't appear to be any
moderators?

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do
-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:42 AM
Steve Lamb
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

On 08/06/2010 01:41 AM, Steve Lamb wrote:
> And winging completely off topic I have always wondered something. Why
> is it that KUbuntu-Users has such an active moderator whereas Ubuntu-Users
> can't get rid of its resident trolls because there doesn't appear to be any
> moderators?

Sone of a... that was supposed to be a private reply. Dang reply-to
lists. :/

--
Steve C. Lamb | But who can decide what they dream
PGP Key: 1FC01004 | and dream I do
-------------------------------+---------------------------------------------

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:41, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 01:18 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> Please, people, stay on topic.
>
> * * And winging completely off topic I have always wondered something. *Why
> is it that KUbuntu-Users has such an active moderator whereas Ubuntu-Users
> can't get rid of its resident trolls because there doesn't appear to be any
> moderators?
>

Actually, I think that Myriam does a great, important job. I don't
mind the coffee and beer comments as they weren't on a _different_
topic and thus posed no threat of hijack. But that border is certainly
ill-defined and I understand Myriam's position.

As for the ubuntu list, it did take me years to finally killfile KL, I
cannot believe that he is still allowed to confuse and misled noobs
(myself included) as he does. It's the blind leading the blind with
him, often with bad consequences.


--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-06-2010, 08:51 AM
Tomasz Czapiewski
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

I would recommend Workrave. Althrough it's not GTK application but it
works good in KDE 4.x. It's great application for such tasks.

Regards,
Tom

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:51, Tomasz Czapiewski <xeros@irc.pl> wrote:
> I would recommend Workrave. Althrough it's not GTK application but it
> works good in KDE 4.x. It's great application for such tasks.
>

Thank you Tom, I am using workrave now. It is GTK (KDE is Qt), but it is great.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 08-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Gene Heskett
 
Default Application to remind the user to take a break

On Friday, August 06, 2010 08:19:06 am Dotan Cohen did opine:

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:41, Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
> > On 08/06/2010 01:18 AM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> >> Please, people, stay on topic.
> >
> > And winging completely off topic I have always wondered something.
> > Why is it that KUbuntu-Users has such an active moderator whereas
> > Ubuntu-Users can't get rid of its resident trolls because there
> > doesn't appear to be any moderators?
>
> Actually, I think that Myriam does a great, important job. I don't
> mind the coffee and beer comments as they weren't on a _different_
> topic and thus posed no threat of hijack. But that border is certainly
> ill-defined and I understand Myriam's position.
>
> As for the ubuntu list, it did take me years to finally killfile KL, I
> cannot believe that he is still allowed to confuse and misled noobs
> (myself included) as he does. It's the blind leading the blind with
> him, often with bad consequences.

Chuckle about KL, he has been a procmail rule here for at least a year.
Works flawlessly...

--
Cheers, Gene
"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
You can't start worrying about what's going to happen. You get spastic
enough worrying about what's happening now.
-- Lauren Bacall

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:22 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org