Old 08-04-2010, 09:35 PM
Larry Alkoff

Default Kubuntu 10.04 How to create an icon on desktop?

On 08/04/2010 03:08 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 04:50:29 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> In previous versions of Kubuntu it was only necessary to right
>> click on the desktop to create an icon with settings in ~/Desktop.
>>
>> I can't seem to do that in 10.04.
>>
>> I'd be grateful if someone told me how to do that.
>>
>> Larry Alkoff
>>

> Drag and drop a menu entry on your desktop. Just be sure you unlock
> your widgets first or nothing will happen.

Where are menu entries kept?
I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?

I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
command line except clicking on program icons to open them.

Larry

Old 08-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 05:35:16 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 03:08 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 04:50:29 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:
> >> In previous versions of Kubuntu it was only necessary to right
> >> click on the desktop to create an icon with settings in ~/Desktop.
> >>
> >> I can't seem to do that in 10.04.
> >>
> >> I'd be grateful if someone told me how to do that.
> >>
> >> Larry Alkoff
> >
> > Drag and drop a menu entry on your desktop. Just be sure you unlock
> > your widgets first or nothing will happen.
>
> Where are menu entries kept?

Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop

> I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?

If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear, right-click
somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'

> I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
> command line except clicking on program icons to open them.
>
> Larry

You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
programs from there (among other things)
http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner

Clay

Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Larry Alkoff

On 08/04/2010 03:48 PM, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 05:35:16 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:

>>> Drag and drop a menu entry on your desktop. Just be sure you unlock
>>> your widgets first or nothing will happen.
>>
>> Where are menu entries kept?
>
> Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop
>
>> I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?
>
> If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear, right-click
> somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'
>
>> I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
>> command line except clicking on program icons to open them.
>>
>> Larry
>
> You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
> programs from there (among other things)
> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner
>
> Clay

Thanks for your reply Clay.

Unfortunately, krunner runs but is mainly a black rectangle with a white
box in the middle. There are 2 blue rectangles
on the left side - I have no idea what they do and a ? and X box on the
right. The web site seems very promising but I don't understand it yet.

I have found out how to lock/unlock widets.

One of the problems I have is the task bar on the bottom is very dark
and it's hard to see what things are. I tried to change to Air Panel
Background and Air Translucent Background but it's still very dark.

10.04 is very different than 8.04 which I used happily for 2 years.

There seems to be very little on the K menu to drag and drop.
Shouldn't a new entry appear on K menu when I load a new program with
apt-get?

Larry

Old 08-04-2010, 10:17 PM
Lindsay Mathieson

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 07:08:19 am Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> Drag and drop a menu entry on your desktop. Just be sure you unlock your
> widgets first or nothing will happen.
>

> --

You can just right click the item in the menu and you get an option to Add to
Favourites or the Desktop.

And yah, unlock widgets first.
--
Lindsay
http://blackpaw.jalbum.net/home

Old 08-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Clay Weber

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 06:09:32 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 03:48 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> >> Where are menu entries kept?
> >
> > Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop
> >
> >> I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?
> >
> > If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear,
> > right-click somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'
> >
> >> I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
> >> command line except clicking on program icons to open them.
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
> > programs from there (among other things)
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner
> >
> > Clay
>
> Thanks for your reply Clay.
>
> Unfortunately, krunner runs but is mainly a black rectangle with a white
> box in the middle. There are 2 blue rectangles
> on the left side - I have no idea what they do and a ? and X box on the
> right. The web site seems very promising but I don't understand it yet.
>
> I have found out how to lock/unlock widets.
>
> One of the problems I have is the task bar on the bottom is very dark
> and it's hard to see what things are. I tried to change to Air Panel
> Background and Air Translucent Background but it's still very dark.

I have seen this happen, where the theme does not change until you log back in
to KDE, it is a bug iirc

> 10.04 is very different than 8.04 which I used happily for 2 years.
>
> There seems to be very little on the K menu to drag and drop.
> Shouldn't a new entry appear on K menu when I load a new program with
> apt-get?

The K-menu (actually called Kickoff now, but K-menu works for me) has only
Favorites in it's main section, you have to move over to Applications to see
the full set of categories and apps. You add apps to the Faveorites by right-
clicking on the menu entry.

You can change the menu to act like the KDE3 style by right-clicking on the
menu icon and selecting "Switch to Classic Menu Style", and once you do that
you can configure it much like you could in KDE3

Clay

Old 08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 06:09:32 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 03:48 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

> >> Where are menu entries kept?
> >
> > Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop
> >
> >> I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?
> >
> > If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear, right-click
> > somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'
> >
> >> I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
> >> command line except clicking on program icons to open them.
> >>
> >> Larry
> >
> > You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
> > programs from there (among other things)
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner
> >
> > Clay
> >

> Thanks for your reply Clay.
>
> Unfortunately, krunner runs but is mainly a black rectangle with a white
> box in the middle. There are 2 blue rectangles
> on the left side - I have no idea what they do and a ? and X box on the
> right. The web site seems very promising but I don't understand it yet.
>
> I have found out how to lock/unlock widets.
>
> One of the problems I have is the task bar on the bottom is very dark
> and it's hard to see what things are. I tried to change to Air Panel
> Background and Air Translucent Background but it's still very dark.
>
> 10.04 is very different than 8.04 which I used happily for 2 years.
>
> There seems to be very little on the K menu to drag and drop.
> Shouldn't a new entry appear on K menu when I load a new program with
> apt-get?
>
> Larry

You also may want to try out the Lancelot menu. It makes a lot more sense to me
than the default menu and does more things better than the classic menu. Install
the package 'plasma-widget-lancelot' and then add it from the widgets (click on the
cashew when unlocked). It also has krunner integrated on the top.

--
Alan

"Now no one has to tell an old Aberdeene pub-crawler how to applaud, captain."
Montgomery Scott

Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 05/08/2010 00:09, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 03:48 PM, Clay Weber wrote:

>>> Where are menu entries kept?
>>
>> Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop
>>
>>> I've never used a widget - how can I tell if they are unlocked?
>>
>> If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear, right-click
>> somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'
>>
>>> I'm sorry to display my ignorance but I do almost everything from the
>>> command line except clicking on program icons to open them.
>>>
>>> Larry
>>
>> You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
>> programs from there (among other things)
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner
>>
>> Clay
>>

> Thanks for your reply Clay.
>
> Unfortunately, krunner runs but is mainly a black rectangle with a white
> box in the middle. There are 2 blue rectangles
> on the left side - I have no idea what they do and a ? and X box on the
> right. The web site seems very promising but I don't understand it yet.
>
> I have found out how to lock/unlock widets.
>
> One of the problems I have is the task bar on the bottom is very dark
> and it's hard to see what things are. I tried to change to Air Panel
> Background and Air Translucent Background but it's still very dark.

This has happened to me on machines with badly supported graphics cards.
Increase the height of the task bar (right-click on it, Panel Options,
then Panel Settings, then increase height) and it goes away. As always,
unlock widgets first. And then lock again as you might otherwise get the
most weird accidents happening - at least me and the users I support.

Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Larry Alkoff

On 08/04/2010 04:55 PM, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 06:09:32 pm Larry Alkoff wrote:

>>> Just drag an item from your K-menu to your desktop

>>> If you drag an item from the kmenu and an icon does not appear, right-click
>>> somewhere on your desktop and select 'unlock widgets'

>>> You might like to check out krunner (by hitting alt-f2) to open and run
>>> programs from there (among other things)
>>> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Krunner
>>>
>>> Clay
>>>

>> Thanks for your reply Clay.
>>
>> Unfortunately, krunner runs but is mainly a black rectangle with a white
>> box in the middle. There are 2 blue rectangles
>> on the left side - I have no idea what they do and a ? and X box on the
>> right. The web site seems very promising but I don't understand it yet.
>>
>> I have found out how to lock/unlock widets.
>>
>> One of the problems I have is the task bar on the bottom is very dark
>> and it's hard to see what things are. I tried to change to Air Panel
>> Background and Air Translucent Background but it's still very dark.
>>
>> 10.04 is very different than 8.04 which I used happily for 2 years.
>>
>> There seems to be very little on the K menu to drag and drop.
>> Shouldn't a new entry appear on K menu when I load a new program with
>> apt-get?
>>
>> Larry
>>

> You also may want to try out the Lancelot menu. It makes a lot more sense to me
> than the default menu and does more things better than the classic menu. Install
> the package 'plasma-widget-lancelot' and then add it from the widgets (click on the
> cashew when unlocked). It also has krunner integrated on the top.

Is it not possible to create a program icon on the desktop whether or
not it exists in some menu? The kind you got with a right click and
were given the opportunity to create a program icon?

Larry Alkoff

Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Larry Alkoff <labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Is it not possible to create a program icon on the desktop whether or
> not it exists in some menu? *The kind you got with a right click and
> were given the opportunity to create a program icon?

yes. Right-click desktop, Create New -> Lin to Application

Michael

Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 12 August 2010, Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Larry Alkoff
<labradley@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > Is it not possible to create a program icon on the desktop
> > whether or not it exists in some menu? The kind you got with a
> > right click and were given the opportunity to create a program
> > icon?
>
> yes. Right-click desktop, Create New -> Lin to Application

That doesn't work in KDE 4 by default. You first need to switch the
desktop type.

--Reinhold