Old 08-04-2010, 01:46 AM
Doug

Default First look at Kubuntu 10.04

Hello, and probably goodbye.

I d/l'd Ku 10.04 and set up the live edition. Now I know what the guys
on the SUSE list are bitching about with KDE 4.4.x. (I think yours is
4.4.2.) What a horrific mess!

I have been using PcLinuxOs for a couple of weeks now, and it says
it has KDE 4.4.5, and this looks a lot more like the old KDE 3.x.
(I don't know why Ku couldn't get it right!) I have installed PcLOs. And
everything I've tried WORKS. (Almost all of it worked live, too.)

Anyway, in spite of the terrible screen, no video, no music, no mail--it
wants some kind of security stuff--no printer--it knows what it needs
for HP 2200D, but can't supply it--it can't just try Postscript, which
should work, I went as far as I could.

So I d/l'd Ubuntu 10.04. Ran that live. Still no music, but it says it
needs mp3 drivers for sound, and mpeg drivers for video, and of course
running off a CD, it can't d/l them and install them anywhere, so I'll
give it a pass for now. Printing works fine, altho slowly--I guess
that's due to the live configuration. Email is set up and works.
I'm not happy about the system tray being on the top, or the x and _
being on the left instead of the right, but I could live with that.

So why am I messing with xxbuntu? I'm signed up for a college course in
Unix/Linux in the fall, and I figured since the -buntu distros
seem to be the most popular, I'd go with that, in the absence of
information from the CS department over the summer, and I am fairly
familiar with KDE 3.x. So on the laptop I just ordered, it will be
Ubuntu, without the K. Too bad. I was hoping for better. (Of
course, the CS instructor may tell me to install Debian, who knows?)

I will respectfully await replies, and I have some time before fall,
so If someone can suggest remedies, I'll go look, but in the meantime,
I'll pursue Ubuntu. And get work done on PcLos and W7. If there
are suggestions, I remind the suggester that I'm a tyro at this:
that's why I signed up for the course.

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Old 08-04-2010, 02:12 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Tuesday, August 03, 2010, Doug wrote:
> I will respectfully await replies, and I have some time before fall,
> so If someone can suggest remedies, I'll go look, but in the meantime,
> I'll pursue Ubuntu. And get work done on PcLos and W7. If there
> are suggestions, I remind the suggester that I'm a tyro at this:
> that's why I signed up for the course.

Do you have to run KDE??

I switched to XFCE when the KDE 4.xx debacle hit and haven't looked back. It
is very KDE 3.5 like and I switched my wife to it (from KDE 3.5) without any
real learning experience.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 21:46 -0400, Doug wrote:
> Hello, and probably goodbye.
>
> I d/l'd Ku 10.04 and set up the live edition. Now I know what the guys
> on the SUSE list are bitching about with KDE 4.4.x. (I think yours is
> 4.4.2.) What a horrific mess!

I raised ten kinds of holy hell about KDE4.0. Now I'm just fine with it.
You can easily put your task bar on the bottom, use the old style menu
and you can hardly tell the difference. It's all good. The only problem
I anticipated was sound with KDE vs Pulse. So, I installed ubuntu 10.4
first, then added KDE after I was sure I had pulse working correctly. I
used to loathe pulseaudio before. Now I like it. It's all good. Ric

Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, August 03, 2010 09:46:39 pm Doug wrote:
> Hello, and probably goodbye.

Why goodbye so soon? We hardly got to know ya

> I d/l'd Ku 10.04 and set up the live edition. Now I know what the guys
> on the SUSE list are bitching about with KDE 4.4.x. (I think yours is
> 4.4.2.) What a horrific mess!

What complaints? Most *Open*Suse users I know like KDE 4.x and think it
provides a pretty good implementation of it.

Or do you really mean those who still desire KDE 3? (Is Suse SLED/SLES still
using KDE3?)

> I have been using PcLinuxOs for a couple of weeks now, and it says
> it has KDE 4.4.5, and this looks a lot more like the old KDE 3.x.
> (I don't know why Ku couldn't get it right!) I have installed PcLOs. And
> everything I've tried WORKS. (Almost all of it worked live, too.)

It is KDE4, why should *all* distros strive to make it look, well, old? But
to be really honest, basically all PCLOS does is use the 'classic' menu, and
setting up the desktop as a Folder View instead of the default - all easily
changed by the end user really

> Anyway, in spite of the terrible screen, no video, no music, no mail--it
> wants some kind of security stuff--no printer--it knows what it needs
> for HP 2200D, but can't supply it--it can't just try Postscript, which
> should work, I went as far as I could.

Is this Kubuntu? this part is not clear, initially I was thinking you were
still speaking about pclos, but you said it was mostly working.

> So I d/l'd Ubuntu 10.04. Ran that live. Still no music, but it says it
> needs mp3 drivers for sound, and mpeg drivers for video, and of course
> running off a CD, it can't d/l them and install them anywhere

I bet it can, assuming enough ram, etc. The development version of Kubuntu has
the ability to update the installer program before it runs, for example. And I
personally have installed firefox during a live session. Of course it cannot
save that between session, though if you intall the image to a usb key using
usb-creator, you can set up a persistence file, though I am not sure if it
saves downloaded/installed apps as I think it only saves user data

> , so I'll
> give it a pass for now. Printing works fine, altho slowly--I guess
> that's due to the live configuration.

yes, PCLOS has one of the better-running livecd's around, they have been doing
this method longer than Ubuntu iirc

> Email is set up and works.
> I'm not happy about the system tray being on the top, or the x and _
> being on the left instead of the right, but I could live with that.
>
> So why am I messing with xxbuntu? I'm signed up for a college course in
> Unix/Linux in the fall, and I figured since the -buntu distros
> seem to be the most popular, I'd go with that, in the absence of
> information from the CS department over the summer, and I am fairly
> familiar with KDE 3.x. So on the laptop I just ordered, it will be
> Ubuntu, without the K. Too bad. I was hoping for better. (Of
> course, the CS instructor may tell me to install Debian, who knows?)

Ubuntu, and therefore gnome, is arguably more popular, though it is possible
that the curriculum could be Red Hat specific as that is much more common in
server rooms and IT departments, and has a more widely accepted certification
program.

> I will respectfully await replies, and I have some time before fall,
> so If someone can suggest remedies, I'll go look, but in the meantime,
> I'll pursue Ubuntu. And get work done on PcLos and W7. If there
> are suggestions, I remind the suggester that I'm a tyro at this:

A lot has changed since the KDE 3 days of which you are more familiar, but
there is still quite a bit that still should be familiar both on the surface
and under the hood.

> that's why I signed up for the course.

> --doug

Feel free to ask all the questions you need! And rest assured if you decide to
stay with pclos, no one will take offense. It is a good distro. I always
suggest that you should use what works best for *you*, even if it isn't my
distro of choice.

----
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://ubuntumaine.org
http://emacdogsports.com

Old 08-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Basil Chupin

On 04/08/2010 11:46, Doug wrote:
> Hello, and probably goodbye.
>
> I d/l'd Ku 10.04 and set up the live edition. Now I know what the guys
> on the SUSE list are bitching about with KDE 4.4.x. (I think yours is
> 4.4.2.) What a horrific mess!

Which is why I gave KDE away a while back. Can't see anything sensible
in it anymore.

[pruned]

> So I d/l'd Ubuntu 10.04. Ran that live. Still no music, but it says it
> needs mp3 drivers for sound, and mpeg drivers for video, and of course
> running off a CD, it can't d/l them and install them anywhere, so I'll
> give it a pass for now.

Running live will not get these - remember also that you are running off
a CD and therefore no room for anything but the most essential apps to
give you an idea of what Ubuntu is all about.

Install it and it then becomes a different story....

> Printing works fine, altho slowly--I guess
> that's due to the live configuration. Email is set up and works.
> I'm not happy about the system tray being on the top, or the x and _
> being on the left instead of the right, but I could live with that.

There are 2 panels - one at the top and one at the bottom, but if you
want them both at the top or the bottom then one can do this. However,
I find leaving them as they are is just fine - simply something to get
used to just like one gets used to another OS when one switches over
from one to the other.

Re the "minimise, maximise, exit" buttons being on the left - very
easily fixed. When you are ready and have installed Ubuntu let me know
and I'll tell you how to do it.

You may want to have a read here re playing CD, DVDs....

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

and then take a step backwards (in the heading, back to Community
Documentation) to find documentation on all sorts of subjects.

Need help - simply ask for it.

BTW, you may want to subscribe to the Ubuntu mail list which is where
all the "action" is. You'll get an almost instant response to any query.
This list (Kubuntu) is less used.

BC

PS You may want to look at these:

http://picpaste.com/Duaine1.jpg

http://picpaste.com/Duaine2.jpg

of what I currently have as my desktop - and the second one is with the
2 panels showing (but which are set to autohide an therefore not visible
in the first pic).

--
If nothing happens, nothing can go wrong.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 AM
Goh Lip

On 08/04/2010 09:46 AM, Doug wrote:
> Hello, and probably goodbye.

Doug, we really don't care about your hellos or goodbyes. We are not
evangelists nor 'company men'; Linux is not a religion nor a
corporation. We don't care if you use xxxbuntu, any flavour of linux,
unix, apple or windows. And we don't care what GUI you use too, be it
kde, gnome, lxde, fluxbox or none. We do not want to convert you nor
sell you anything.

But....if you want our opinions, suggestions or advice, that's a
different matter. However, being a college freshman, we'd think you have
some degree of initiative, research and spunk. So google and read up the
distro's or gui's webpages or forums before coming here.

There is bewildering (for you) choice of linux distros', each having
their own 'specificity' and given your current (hopefully temporary)
need to be spoonfed, I'll recommend PcLinux or MintPc. At this stage, I
do not recommend using Gentoo, ArchLinux, any flavour of xxxusd's,
solaris or windows. (that's right, tried cleaning out the registry or
modifying boot.ini?). Then again, I wonder about the objective of your
course and indeed, your motivation for taking that course.

Goh Lip

--

Learning without thought is labour lost
Thought without learning is perilous.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 11:30 +0800, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 09:46 AM, Doug wrote:
> > Hello, and probably goodbye.
> >

> Doug, we really don't care about your hellos or goodbyes. We are not
> evangelists nor 'company men'; Linux is not a religion nor a
> corporation. We don't care if you use xxxbuntu, any flavour of linux,
> unix, apple or windows. And we don't care what GUI you use too, be it
> kde, gnome, lxde, fluxbox or none. We do not want to convert you nor
> sell you anything.
>
> But....if you want our opinions, suggestions or advice, that's a
> different matter. However, being a college freshman, we'd think you have
> some degree of initiative, research and spunk. So google and read up the
> distro's or gui's webpages or forums before coming here.
>
> There is bewildering (for you) choice of linux distros', each having
> their own 'specificity' and given your current (hopefully temporary)
> need to be spoonfed, I'll recommend PcLinux or MintPc. At this stage, I
> do not recommend using Gentoo, ArchLinux, any flavour of xxxusd's,
> solaris or windows. (that's right, tried cleaning out the registry or
> modifying boot.ini?). Then again, I wonder about the objective of your
> course and indeed, your motivation for taking that course.

Well, hopefully to learn. <grins> Ric

Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Doug

On 8/3/2010 11:30 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> On 08/04/2010 09:46 AM, Doug wrote:
>> Hello, and probably goodbye.

/snip/

> But....if you want our opinions, suggestions or advice, that's a
> different matter. However, being a college freshman, we'd think you have
> some degree of initiative, research and spunk. So google and read up the
> distro's or gui's webpages or forums before coming here.

/snip/
Then again, I wonder about the objective of your
> course and indeed, your motivation for taking that course.
>
> Goh Lip

Well, I'm not a freshman. I've been out of school quite a few years.
I'm 72. I started in computing when it was a teletype machine connected
thru an acoustic coupler to a mainframe in Texas, somewhere, on the
company's dime. I've been playing--I use the word advisedly--with
various linuxes for almost 15 years, off and on. And yes, I've read a
lot of "fine" manuals. I decided it's time I actually learned what the
heck I'm doing!

--doug

Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Goh Lip

On 08/04/2010 12:09 PM, Doug wrote:
> On 8/3/2010 11:30 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
>> On 08/04/2010 09:46 AM, Doug wrote:
>>> Hello, and probably goodbye.

> Well, I'm not a freshman. I've been out of school quite a few years.
> I'm 72. I started in computing when it was a teletype machine connected
> thru an acoustic coupler to a mainframe in Texas, somewhere, on the
> company's dime. I've been playing--I use the word advisedly--with
> various linuxes for almost 15 years, off and on. And yes, I've read a
> lot of "fine" manuals. I decided it's time I actually learned what the
> heck I'm doing!
>
> --doug

Well then, Doug, good to hear that. I hope I'll be as spunky as you at
your age. If there is anything more you need to know, I am sure we'll
all be happy to chip in.

Regards - Goh Lip
--

Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:28 AM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday, August 04, 2010 12:23:35 am Doug did opine:

> On 8/3/2010 11:30 PM, Goh Lip wrote:
> > On 08/04/2010 09:46 AM, Doug wrote:
> >> Hello, and probably goodbye.
>
> /snip/
>
> > But....if you want our opinions, suggestions or advice, that's a
> > different matter. However, being a college freshman, we'd think you
> > have some degree of initiative, research and spunk. So google and
> > read up the distro's or gui's webpages or forums before coming here.
>
> /snip/
> Then again, I wonder about the objective of your
>
> > course and indeed, your motivation for taking that course.
> >
> > Goh Lip
>
> Well, I'm not a freshman. I've been out of school quite a few years.
> I'm 72. I started in computing when it was a teletype machine connected
> thru an acoustic coupler to a mainframe in Texas, somewhere, on the
> company's dime. I've been playing--I use the word advisedly--with
> various linuxes for almost 15 years, off and on. And yes, I've read a
> lot of "fine" manuals. I decided it's time I actually learned what the
> heck I'm doing!
>
> --doug

Got ya beat Doug, I'm 75. Been using linux exclusively since Red Hat 5.0.
But its moving fairly fast and I seem to be falling behind, hence I wander
around these mailing lists, hat in hand begging for help more often than
I'd like to.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)