Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Nigel Ridley

Default dpkg error

I just installed a package on my daughter's Feisty box and whilst doing
so, apt gave a message about unneeded packages which I could remove with
'apt-get autoremove'. The list included a bunch of games and linux headers.
I took note of the games (so as to install them again - I wasn't sure if
there were newer new-named packages or not) and didn't worry about the
linux headers package as I have an older kernel installed - so I did as
suggested.
Everything was going OK until apt got to the linux headers and
complained about not being able to remove a makefile inside the /nfsd
dir - permission denied.
I tried again after booting into the older kernel - no joy!
I tried as root from the older kernel rescue mode - apt complained that
it couldn't execute dpkg!

I tried rebooting into the normal older kernel and now am stuck with:
Could not exec dpkg!

Any ideas? I can't install or remove anything at the moment.

I am thinking of doing a fresh install of Gutsy for her.....

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries