Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default How do I avoid my ~/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/.kio_thumbnails* using all my free space

On Monday 02 August 2010, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Monday 02 August 2010, user1 wrote:
> > I am using 10.04 encrypted installed on one partition of 30 gb
> > and suddenly the partition ran out of free space.
> >
> > Then I ran "filelight /" and it showed that my
> > /home/username/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/thumbnails* was filled with
> > some 10 gb thumbnails in various folders.
> >
> > How do I avoid this directory filling up again probably emptying
> > it after every shutdown.
>
> If it isn't important to you that those thumbnails are stored, you
> could simply make the directory read-only.

Actually, if you probably need to remove the directory's executable
bits, that way no program can enter it.

<snip>

--Reinhold

Old 08-02-2010, 12:59 PM
user1

> If it isn't important to you that those thumbnails are stored, you could
> simply make the directory read-only. The alternatives would be quota or
> a separate "thumbnail partition", I guess.

I have removed all the aprox 10 gb thumbnails in
/home/user1/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/

I have now a lot of empty directories in
/home/username/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/, but how do I remove those empty
directories.

I have even tried following command
rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty /home/username/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/* but
the empty directories will still not go away.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:19 PM
user1

>> I have even tried following command
>> rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty /home/username/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/* but
>> the empty directories will still not go away.
>>

> rm -R <dir>
> rm -Rf <dir>
>
> hidden files?

It worked, but I had to do it as sudo, strange as you should not have to
use sudo for your home dir?

Old 08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 02 August 2010, user1 wrote:
> >> I have even tried following command
> >> rmdir --ignore-fail-on-non-empty
> >> /home/username/.kde/tmp-sda2-enc/* but the empty directories
> >> will still not go away.
> >
> > rm -R <dir>
> > rm -Rf <dir>
> >
> > hidden files?
>
> It worked, but I had to do it as sudo, strange as you should not
> have to use sudo for your home dir?

Actually, if you removed those permissions, you just simply aren't
allowed to do anything...
Only root can do pretty much anything regardless of permissions.

--Reinhold