Old 01-18-2008, 08:38 AM
"Donatas G."

Default what is wrong with my konqueror/kmail settings?

Hi

when I click a link with a deb, like this one, in my mail (kmail) window:
http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb

I get the binary file opened within Konqueror window with this warning message
popping up:

The file http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb is a
binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file.

All I intend is to get the file to download...

Could somebody explain, what is wrong with my settings?

I use kubuntu 7.10 with kde 3.5.8.

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info

Old 01-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Daniel Pittman

"Donatas G." <dgvirtual@akl.lt> writes:

> when I click a link with a deb, like this one, in my mail (kmail) window:
> http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb
>
> I get the binary file opened within Konqueror window with this warning message
> popping up:
>
> The file http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb is a
> binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file.
>
> All I intend is to get the file to download...
>
> Could somebody explain, what is wrong with my settings?

Nothing; the server is wrong: it tells the web browser that file
contains plain text, not binary data. As a result Konqueror does the
right thing and displays it -- but warns you about the problem.

Either use wget on the command link to download it, or right-click on
the URL and save the target of the link to disk directly. That should
resolve your issue.

(Complain to the maintainer of the website in question if you want this
actually fixed, since it is their bug.)

Regards,
Daniel
--
Daniel Pittman <daniel@cybersource.com.au> Phone: 03 9428 6922
1/130-132 Stawell St, Richmond Web: http://www.cyber.com.au

Old 01-18-2008, 11:28 AM
"Donatas G."

On Friday 18 January 2008 13:16:06 Daniel Pittman rašė:
> "Donatas G." <dgvirtual@akl.lt> writes:
> > when I click a link with a deb, like this one, in my mail (kmail) window:
> > http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb
> >
> > I get the binary file opened within Konqueror window with this warning
> > message popping up:
> >
> > The file http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb
> > is a binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file.
> >
> > All I intend is to get the file to download...
> >
> > Could somebody explain, what is wrong with my settings?
>
> Nothing; the server is wrong: it tells the web browser that file
> contains plain text, not binary data. As a result Konqueror does the
> right thing and displays it -- but warns you about the problem.

hey thanks for explanation; this problem is pretty common. often happens on
kde-apps.org, and only with Konqueror...
--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info

Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Derek Broughton

Donatas G. wrote:

> On Friday 18 January 2008 13:16:06 Daniel Pittman rašė:
>> "Donatas G." <dgvirtual@akl.lt> writes:
>> > when I click a link with a deb, like this one, in my mail (kmail)
>> > window:
>> > http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb
>> >
>> > I get the binary file opened within Konqueror window with this warning
>> > message popping up:
>> >
>> > The file
>> > http://rkward.sourceforge.net/temp/rkward_0.4.9gutsy1-1_i386.deb is a
>> > binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file.
>> >
>> > All I intend is to get the file to download...
>> >
>> > Could somebody explain, what is wrong with my settings?
>>
>> Nothing; the server is wrong:

Yes (maybe) and no.

>> it tells the web browser that file
>> contains plain text, not binary data. As a result Konqueror does the
>> right thing and displays it -- but warns you about the problem.

Yes, the server should report it as application/x-deb mimetype, but
konqueror is quite capable of handling files without proper mimetypes based
on file suffix. I'm not sure this wasn't reported properly - my network's
too slow to want to check; what I can see is that my own mirror has no
definition for application/x-deb, but konqueror still treats them a such.
Unfortunately, Kubuntu doesn't automatically come with a way to handle
packages from the web but you can always install gdebi-kde to fix it.
--
derek

Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 PM
"Donatas G."

On Friday 18 January 2008 15:40:23 Derek Broughton rašė:
> Donatas G. wrote:

> >> Nothing; the server is wrong:
>
> Yes (maybe) and no.
>
> >> it tells the web browser that file
> >> contains plain text, not binary data. As a result Konqueror does the
> >> right thing and displays it -- but warns you about the problem.
>
> Yes, the server should report it as application/x-deb mimetype, but
> konqueror is quite capable of handling files without proper mimetypes based
> on file suffix. I'm not sure this wasn't reported properly - my network's
> too slow to want to check; what I can see is that my own mirror has no
> definition for application/x-deb, but konqueror still treats them a such.
> Unfortunately, Kubuntu doesn't automatically come with a way to handle
> packages from the web but you can always install gdebi-kde to fix it.

You can try to start downloading that package - it is less than one mb
anyway..

Should I check file associations to troubleshoot? I have gdebi-kde installed,
and *.deb is associated with: gdebi, then - ark, then - karchiver, and the
embedding options are: "use settings for 'applications' group" (other options
are: "show file in embedded viewer" and "show file in separate viewer") and
the checkbox "ask whether to save to disk instead" is also checked.

The package is still displayed in konqueror (unless it is on a local file
system).

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info

Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Derek Broughton

Donatas G. wrote:

> On Friday 18 January 2008 15:40:23 Derek Broughton rašė:
>> Donatas G. wrote:

> Should I check file associations to troubleshoot? I have gdebi-kde
> installed, and *.deb is associated with: gdebi, then - ark, then -
> karchiver, and the embedding options are: "use settings for 'applications'
> group" (other options are: "show file in embedded viewer" and "show file
> in separate viewer") and the checkbox "ask whether to save to disk
> instead" is also checked.

Mine is set to: Gdebi only (I doubt that matters, as long as GDebi is first)
and "Show file in separate viewer", so I guess that's the issue. I would
think "embedded viewer" only works if there's actually an embeddable kpart
for the application.
--
derek

Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM
"Donatas G."

On Saturday 19 January 2008 20:22:29 Derek Broughton rašė:
> Donatas G. wrote:

> > Should I check file associations to troubleshoot? I have gdebi-kde
> > installed, and *.deb is associated with: gdebi, then - ark, then -
> > karchiver, and the embedding options are: "use settings for
> > 'applications' group" (other options are: "show file in embedded viewer"
> > and "show file in separate viewer") and the checkbox "ask whether to save
> > to disk instead" is also checked.
>
> Mine is set to: Gdebi only (I doubt that matters, as long as GDebi is
> first) and "Show file in separate viewer", so I guess that's the issue. I
> would think "embedded viewer" only works if there's actually an embeddable
> kpart for the application.

Changing it to „show file in separate viewer“ did not help... It still opens
the file in konqueror...

--
Donatas Glodenis
http://dg.lapas.info