Old 01-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Clark

Default Printer Problem

Hi I have set up my printer in Kubuntu 7.10 (Cannon i550) as Cannon 7100
foomatic is the only one on the printer list but it works perfectly well
in the test page. However, will not print a thing from OOo Write. The
Print Systems setting just shows the job in the job list as Error.

Any suggestions??

Clark.

Attribute
Values
job-more-info
ipp://localhost:631/jobs/7
job-preserved
True
job-printer-up-time
Fri Jan 18 16:54:24 2008
job-state-reasons
job-stopped
job-uri
ipp://localhost:631/jobs/7
printer-uri
ipp://localhost/printers/Canoni550
job-originating-user-name
cpm
job-name
Statement 2
document-format
application/postscript
ProcessColorModel
Greyscale
PrintColors
PageSize
A4
job-priority
50
job-uuid
urn:uuid:e41d5755-0caf-32bc-4a88-516bdedb5188
job-originating-host-name
localhost
time-at-creation
Fri Jan 18 16:26:17 2008
time-at-processing
Fri Jan 18 16:26:17 2008
time-at-completed

job-id
7
job-state
0x6
job-media-sheets-completed
0
job-printer-uri
ipp://cpm-desktop:631/printers/Canoni550
job-name
Statement 2
job-k-octets
489
job-hold-until
no-hold
job-sheets
none
none
job-printer-state-message
/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed
job-printer-state-reasons
none

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
David Fletcher

At 05:58 18/01/2008, you wrote:

>Hi I have set up my printer in Kubuntu 7.10 (Cannon i550) as Cannon 7100
>foomatic is the only one on the printer list but it works perfectly well
>in the test page. However, will not print a thing from OOo Write. The
>Print Systems setting just shows the job in the job list as Error.
>
>Any suggestions??
>
>Clark.

You may very well find that the consensus around here is that you
should go buy an Epson or HP. My old Stylus Photo 950 works very
nicely indeed. With an Epson you should be able to also use the
escputil package to do ink level checks, nozzle checks, head cleaning etc.

My personal experience of Canon printers would suggest that the best
thing to do with one is to place it between the surfaces of a
hydraulic press and push the red button (demonstrated at the end of
Terminator) so that it occupies less space in the landfill.

Dave

Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 AM
Clark

David Fletcher wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dave, your comments kind of set the scene but hope springs
eternal, especially for novices.

Have you heard of this offering, my problem is that there is no mention
of my Kubuntu in BrightQ below so !!* Any comments that hold out any
hope appreciated.

Clark

The BrightQ™ printing suite becomes more powerful and user-friendly
with Codehost's latest release, BrightQ Pro v2.4. BrightQ Pro,
considered the de-facto Unix and Linux printing standard for the
multi-function copier market, includes a number of new features and
product enhancements.

BrightQ has been adopted by industry-leading printing manufacturers in
order to serve their Unix and Linux clients better. As a desktop or
server solution, BrightQ Pro saves service and support staff hours of
time, while the end-user has complete access to their printer's output
options.
Features

» Printer Installation Wizard

» Network Device Detection

» Monitor Device Status

» Printer Classes

» Import/Export print queues

» Enhanced data workflow

» User Customizable PJM

Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 PM
David Fletcher

On Saturday 19 Jan 2008, Clark wrote:
> Thanks Dave, your comments kind of set the scene but hope springs
> eternal, especially for novices.
> Have you heard of this offering, my problem is that there is no mention
> of my Kubuntu in BrightQ below so !! Any comments that hold out any
> hope appreciated.

I don't know where you are located, but do you have any local free cycle
groups? I have an old perfectly good, hardly used HP ScanJet 3300C that my
son can have, that came from a free cycler. Later windoze versions don't work
with it but Kubuntu does.

If you watch for a while, you will likely see Epson printers being given away.
I have, but I've already got one. Depends on what sort of quality you need.
Keep your eyes open and see what happens.

But, also consider that low end printers only cost a few pounds (or dollars,
or whatever) these days, so if you see a model you fancy just ask if anybody
else is using it before you buy.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to the richest
person in the world to use his products, even though perfectly good software

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763

Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Willis Taylor

Since I
wanted to give Kubuntu a fair test against Ubuntu and I have v.7.10 of
both installed on my two main units and the printer wizard only shows
the ip4000 and nowhere near the ip4300 should I give up, format the
Kubuntu partition on my other machine and install Ubuntu on it?* The
driver for the ip4300 was waiting on me to use it in Ubuntu 7.10.* It's
beginning to look like Kubuntu is not ready for the general public, am
I wrong?* I'm finding it very easy to get answers on the Ubuntu list
but there seems to be almost no activity here.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 AM
Donn

> public, am I wrong? I'm finding it very easy to get answers on the
> Ubuntu list but there seems to be almost no activity here.
It's just the luck of the draw -- if no-one here has that printer you won't
get any experienced comments.

If you want to stick with Kubuntu then try to find out what packages Ubuntu is
using for that printer. Otherwise, install Ubuntu and then install
kubuntu-desktop and you may get lucky.

Sorry I can't help you more, printers are deep voodoo to me

Old 02-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Girard Henri

kubuntu gutsy is well ready I even use kde4 with taskbar AWN so i can
work either with gnome and kde4 apps...

Le mardi 12 fvrier 2008 19:50 -0600, Willis Taylor a crit :

Old 02-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Constantinos Maltezos

On Tuesday 12 February 2008 7:50:56 Willis Taylor wrote:
> Since I wanted to give Kubuntu a fair test against Ubuntu and I have
> v.7.10 of both installed on my two main units and the printer wizard
> only shows the ip4000 and nowhere near the ip4300 should I give up,
> format the Kubuntu partition on my other machine and install Ubuntu on
> it? The driver for the ip4300 was waiting on me to use it in Ubuntu
> 7.10. It's beginning to look like Kubuntu is not ready for the general
> public, am I wrong? I'm finding it very easy to get answers on the
> Ubuntu list but there seems to be almost no activity here.

Considering Ubuntu and Kubuntu would have the same printer packages, there's
no point in switching.

That said, when I installed Kubuntu, I saw that for some reason, CUPS was not
installed. Check if that's the case for you. If it is, I would install the
following packages in Adept Manager:

cups-sys
cups-sys-bsd
cups-sys-client
cups-sys-common
cups-sys-drive-gimpprint
cups-sys-driver-gutenprint
libcupsysimage2
libupsys2
printconf
python-cups

That's what I have installed, anyway. Try that and see if you can set up your
printers. Good luck.

By the way, you are using the printer setup in the systemsettings program,
right?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Willis Taylor wrote:

> Since I wanted to give Kubuntu a fair test against Ubuntu and I have
> v.7.10 of both installed on my two main units and the printer wizard
> only shows the ip4000 and nowhere near the ip4300 should I give up,
> format the Kubuntu partition on my other machine and install Ubuntu on
> it? The driver for the ip4300 was waiting on me to use it in Ubuntu
> 7.10. It's beginning to look like Kubuntu is not ready for the general
> public, am I wrong?

Yes! Printing _isn't_ a Kubuntu issue. If you can print to an ip4300 from
Ubuntu, you can print from Kubuntu. Find out what package installed the
ip4300 driver on your Ubuntu system, and install it on your Kubuntu system.
It's that simple.

> I'm finding it very easy to get answers on the
> Ubuntu list but there seems to be almost no activity here.

You're not reading very closely, then, as I have 31 posts here since this
morning.
--
derek

Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Ted Potter

Linda -

Was wondering If I can stop in and re do your print driver. I was thinking about 11:00 today ? will
that work for you ?

--
Ted Potter
tpotter@techmarin.com