Old 04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
Tim Waugh

Default Printer problem

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 07:51 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Nope... I'll try that when I get home from work. But wouldn't still be
> fairly easy to have a button in system-config-printer to "Check Ink
> Levels" which would run hp-levels and report the results?

Or to run gutenprint's escputil program? And for each 3rd party
product?

No, the solution is to get all of the ink-reporting drivers to report
levels via the correct means. This means that low-ink/toner warnings
will work correctly for remote clients, something that would not be
possible otherwise.

Tim.
*/

Old 08-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Brian Wootton

I have an HP C7180 printer connected via wireless to my router,
both my win7 and my Mandriva machines can print to it fine,
but my 64 bit kubuntu machine won't print to it at all.
hp-setup finds the printer OK but when I click next all I get is an
error message:

Unable to communicate with the device. Please check the device and try
again.

I can ping the printer OK.

Xsane is similar, it finds the all-in-one c7180 printer OK, but if I
select it xsane justs
sits there doing nothing.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled all the hplip stuff - no difference.

I have a cheap USB printer which kubuntu has no problems with printing/
scanning.

I really don't know what to try next, anybody got any clues?
brian

Old 05-19-2012, 07:53 PM
Bill Vance

Howdy folks;

Ok, running 10.04 with a relatively new, "HP Officejet
6500A Plus." I'm trying to print out a huge-mongous
file. For the curious, its the, "StdLib Reference
Manual", for the HLA Assembler. The stack of paper is
allready well over 4 inches tall. I can handle it when
it runs out of paper, as the printer is rather well
behaved about pausing for that. Whats getting my goat
is when the cartridge starts running out of ink, its
rather difficult to be right on top of it, as it very
slowly fades out to finally blank pages. I have a 1/2"
stack of now useless paper left over from the last time.

Ok, so here's the question. Does kde, (or anything
else for that matter), have a printer util that can
cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
and then let you back up in the file to before things
started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
there? After I've changed the ink cartridge during
the pause, that is.

It seems to me that swaping out ribbons and cartridges
etc. would be such a common place sort of thing, that
someone somewhere would have created something like
that, but who/what/where?

Bill

Old 05-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

Don't take my word for it, but I suspect that there is no such thing
under KDE (or any other DE) because it is the driver from HP which
controls the printer.

On the taskbar you should have a widget with "hp" in it. This should be
installed when your printer was detected during installation of 10.04.
If you right click on this widget you will get a menu 'HP Device
Manager' which contains a tab which shows you the state of your
cartridges. During printing keep an eye on this and stop the printer
when you see the levels reach critical levels.

(BTW, there is a trick I read somewhere but cannot remember where which
concerns the levels of cartridges for printers. Basically, the trick
talks about that the manufacturers make you buy a new cartridge when
there is quite a bit of ink still left in the cartridge, and the trick
was to reset the cartridge so that it "sees" this remaining ink. If I
recall correctly, it has something to do with using a paper-clip to push
in some pin (just like you do with a CDROM reader to open the platter in
an emergency. Do a search on the web re this.)

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.1 x86_64 KDE 4.8.3 and kernel 3.3.6 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor

Old 05-20-2012, 05:54 AM
Waleed Hamra

On 05/19/2012 10:53 PM, Bill Vance wrote:

> Howdy folks;
>
> Ok, running 10.04 with a relatively new, "HP Officejet
> 6500A Plus." I'm trying to print out a huge-mongous
> file. For the curious, its the, "StdLib Reference
> Manual", for the HLA Assembler. The stack of paper is
> allready well over 4 inches tall. I can handle it when
> it runs out of paper, as the printer is rather well
> behaved about pausing for that. Whats getting my goat
> is when the cartridge starts running out of ink, its
> rather difficult to be right on top of it, as it very
> slowly fades out to finally blank pages. I have a 1/2"
> stack of now useless paper left over from the last time.
>
> Ok, so here's the question. Does kde, (or anything
> else for that matter), have a printer util that can
> cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
> and then let you back up in the file to before things
> started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
> there? After I've changed the ink cartridge during
> the pause, that is.
>
> It seems to me that swaping out ribbons and cartridges
> etc. would be such a common place sort of thing, that
> someone somewhere would have created something like
> that, but who/what/where?

not sure i know of any way, but how about pulling the paper out? that'll
cause it to pause. if it has a drawer, or some sort of door, most
printers will pause if you open them, and display a warning asking you
to close the door back.
of course, this is assuming you're beside the printer, and watching when
things start getting flakey.

--
Waleed K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 05-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Doug

[...]

It would seem that most times you would be printing from a pdf
(or if not, you might be able to create one from whatever text you
do have) and to print pdfs, you always have the opportunity to
print a selected group of pages, so you could print, say 50 pages,
look at the output, and then start at page 51, and so on to continue.
That way you wouldn't have to baby-sit the printer, you could go and
have lunch or something, and look at the output at your convenience.

Not ideal, but better than nothing.

--doug

Old 05-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Nils Kassube

Bill Vance wrote:
> Ok, so here's the question. Does kde, (or anything
> else for that matter), have a printer util that can
> cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
> and then let you back up in the file to before things
> started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
> there? After I've changed the ink cartridge during
> the pause, that is.

Just an idea and I don't know if it works because I'm not inclined to
create a big print job to test it. You could go to the cups interface at
<http://localhost:631/jobs> and check if there is an option to pause the
current print job.

Another option is the HP toolbox coming with the package "hplip-gui".
With that tool you could check the ink levels before you start the print
job.

Nils

Old 05-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Tom Bell

On 5/20/2012 2:27 AM, Doug wrote:
> On 05/20/2012 01:54 AM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
>> On 05/19/2012 10:53 PM, Bill Vance wrote:
>>> Howdy folks;
>>>
>>> Ok, running 10.04 with a relatively new, "HP Officejet
>>> 6500A Plus." I'm trying to print out a huge-mongous
>>> file. For the curious, its the, "StdLib Reference
>>> Manual", for the HLA Assembler. The stack of paper is
>>> allready well over 4 inches tall. I can handle it when
>>> it runs out of paper, as the printer is rather well
>>> behaved about pausing for that. Whats getting my goat
>>> is when the cartridge starts running out of ink, its
>>> rather difficult to be right on top of it, as it very
>>> slowly fades out to finally blank pages. I have a 1/2"
>>> stack of now useless paper left over from the last time.
>>>
>>> Ok, so here's the question. Does kde, (or anything
>>> else for that matter), have a printer util that can
>>> cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
>>> and then let you back up in the file to before things
>>> started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
>>> there? After I've changed the ink cartridge during
>>> the pause, that is.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that swaping out ribbons and cartridges
>>> etc. would be such a common place sort of thing, that
>>> someone somewhere would have created something like
>>> that, but who/what/where?
>>>
>> not sure i know of any way, but how about pulling the paper out? that'll
>> cause it to pause. if it has a drawer, or some sort of door, most
>> printers will pause if you open them, and display a warning asking you
>> to close the door back.
>> of course, this is assuming you're beside the printer, and watching when
>> things start getting flakey.
> It would seem that most times you would be printing from a pdf
> (or if not, you might be able to create one from whatever text you
> do have) and to print pdfs, you always have the opportunity to
> print a selected group of pages, so you could print, say 50 pages,
> look at the output, and then start at page 51, and so on to continue.
> That way you wouldn't have to baby-sit the printer, you could go and
> have lunch or something, and look at the output at your convenience.
>
> Not ideal, but better than nothing.
>
> --doug

I would check out the number of the page where it last printed okay, say
"X".
Then print from "X" to 2"X", then 2"X" to 3"X"... and so on, changing the
cartridges as needed in between.
I have done something similar in the past. I now use a laserjet and it
prints
many pages before needing a cartridge change.
Good luck!

Tom

--
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")

Old 05-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Bill Vance

On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 02:27:45AM -0400, Doug wrote:
>Date: Sun, 20 May 2012 02:27:45 -0400
>From: Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
>Subject: Re: Printer Problem
>
>On 05/20/2012 01:54 AM, Waleed Hamra wrote:
>>On 05/19/2012 10:53 PM, Bill Vance wrote:
>>>Howdy folks;
>>>
>>>Ok, running 10.04 with a relatively new, "HP Officejet
>>>6500A Plus." I'm trying to print out a huge-mongous
>>>file. For the curious, its the, "StdLib Reference
>>>Manual", for the HLA Assembler. The stack of paper is
>>>allready well over 4 inches tall. I can handle it when
>>>it runs out of paper, as the printer is rather well
>>>behaved about pausing for that. Whats getting my goat
>>>is when the cartridge starts running out of ink, its
>>>rather difficult to be right on top of it, as it very
>>>slowly fades out to finally blank pages. I have a 1/2"
>>>stack of now useless paper left over from the last time.
>>>
>>>Ok, so here's the question. Does kde, (or anything
>>>else for that matter), have a printer util that can
>>>cause a printer to pause in the middle of a print job,
>>>and then let you back up in the file to before things
>>>started getting flakey, and restart the print job from
>>>there? After I've changed the ink cartridge during
>>>the pause, that is.
>>>
>>>It seems to me that swaping out ribbons and cartridges
>>>etc. would be such a common place sort of thing, that
>>>someone somewhere would have created something like
>>>that, but who/what/where?
>>>
>>not sure i know of any way, but how about pulling the paper out? that'll
>>cause it to pause. if it has a drawer, or some sort of door, most
>>printers will pause if you open them, and display a warning asking you
>>to close the door back.
>>of course, this is assuming you're beside the printer, and watching when
>>things start getting flakey.
>>

>It would seem that most times you would be printing from a pdf
>(or if not, you might be able to create one from whatever text you
>do have) and to print pdfs, you always have the opportunity to
>print a selected group of pages, so you could print, say 50 pages,
>look at the output, and then start at page 51, and so on to continue.
>That way you wouldn't have to baby-sit the printer, you could go and
>have lunch or something, and look at the output at your convenience.
>
>Not ideal, but better than nothing.
>
>--doug

First off, thanks to everyone who reponded.

That .pdf, "print pages(X) through pages(Y)", option is
really interesting; I didn't know you could do that.
It's just a thought, but Will it print those pages to a
file, too?

The big problem about printing .pdf files, though,
(at least using Ocular), is that it seems to take about
4 or 5 minutes to print each page. I doubt the ink
would last that long, but It would probably still be
spitting out paper after I came back from a three month
world tour.

So far I've been using firefox to print the html file.
Firefox seems to be able to print 4 or 5 pages per
minute, which is vastly better.

Bill

Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
David Fletcher

On Mon, 2012-05-21 at 01:43 -0700, Bill Vance wrote:

> That .pdf, "print pages(X) through pages(Y)", option is
> really interesting; I didn't know you could do that.
> It's just a thought, but Will it print those pages to a
> file, too?

Previously, I've had problems with web browsers printing more pages than
I wanted. My solution was to get the browser to print to a temporary
pdf, then open the pdf and just print the pages I actually wanted.

Dave