FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-18-2009, 04:11 PM
Tommy Trussell
 
Default Printer problem

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Bernard G Hill <berni@zionundy.me.uk> wrote:
> I am using Ubuntu 8-10 and find that when printing to the HP Color
> laserjet 3505 via USB only one job will print. When that job is
> finished, it can be several pages of a document, the message 'the
> printer may not be connected' is displayed. To resume printing either
> the printer has to be switched off and then on again or the USB
> connector disconnected and then reconnected. This will allow one more
> job to be printed.
>
> Another problem, which may be related as it involves USB, is that the
> computer will not boot up but hangs if the external USB drive is
> connected and switched on. This is just a nuisance and only needs a
> check before booting but the printer problem is a bit more serious.

Are you connecting through a USB hub? If so, try removing it and
connecting directly. Is there any chance the cables are damaged or
defective?

Once you are sure of the physical connection, if your printing is
still a problem, try disconnecting the printer, deleting the printer
icon in the printer tool, waiting a minute, then reconnecting (and
turning on) the printer. When it's detected, watch very carefully and
be certain it chooses exactly the right model. If it doesn't display
the list of printer models and choose your exact model from the list.
Using a fresh configuration, try printing again.

As for the external drive, once you are sure of the physical
connection, you might check to see whether your computer's BIOS is set
to attempt to boot from a USB device. It's possible the drive has some
fragment of a boot loader on it and the computer is trying to boot,
but cannot. If it does, you can probably reorder the drives in your
BIOS boot options, or use the Partition Editor to find the errant
partition and remove the bootable flag and/or erase the partition. (Of
course you must back up all your data on the drive FIRST!!!)

Good luck..!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Graham Todd
 
Default Printer Problem

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 09:46:30 -0700
Jordan Mantha <laserjock@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I cannot use my HP Deskjet D2460 in my Edubuntu 7.04 computer. I
> cannot find its driver in the list provided by the computer. Please
> solve this for me.
[snipped]

The page you want is;
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_d2400_series.html

I got this by googling "D2460 + linux" which took me to the page so I
suggest you look up on the web before requesting assistance.

--

Graham Todd


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Printer problem

I have been having printing problems on and off for a while and
usually fiddle with it and get things to work (temporarily
apparently). I try restarting CUPS, unplugging and replugging the USB
cable, etc.

System is F12 x86_64 connected to a HP Photosmart C5580
(Printer/scanner/copier). Scanning has always worked flawlessly. I
booted my XP virtual machine and could not find any errors in the
toolbox but the HP drivers for linux have said the ink is low ever
since I changed out the cartridges (w/ new HP cartridges.) It does not
say which one is apparently low.

I've also gotten messages that the backend failed, last time that
happened replugging the USB cable seemed to fix it. I don't think it's
a cable problem since the scanner always works. I know at one point
there was a problem with the printer being detected correctly on boot
up but that was fixed some time ago.

Here is some output from /var/log/messages:

Apr 4 21:57:15 hobbes Photosmart-C5500-series: prnt/hpijs/hpcups.cpp
156: unable to set Quality=0, MediaType=5, ColorMode=2, err=2
Apr 4 21:57:15 hobbes Photosmart-C5500-series: prnt/hpijs/hpcups.cpp
158: following will be used Quality=0, MediaType=0, ColorMode=2,
Apr 4 21:57:39 hobbes Photosmart-C5500-series: prnt/hpijs/hpcups.cpp
682: hpcups: returning status 0 from main
Apr 5 09:06:24 hobbes hpcups[15344]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp
361: DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
Apr 5 09:06:24 hobbes hp[15345]: prnt/backend/hp.c 847: ERROR: null
print job total=0
Apr 6 06:32:25 hobbes hpcups[19263]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp
361: DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
Apr 6 06:32:25 hobbes hp[19264]: prnt/backend/hp.c 847: ERROR: null
print job total=0
Apr 7 06:33:35 hobbes hpcups[31289]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp
361: DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
Apr 7 06:33:35 hobbes hp[31290]: prnt/backend/hp.c 847: ERROR: null
print job total=0
Apr 8 06:29:48 hobbes hpcups[4022]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp 361:
DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
Apr 8 06:29:48 hobbes hp[4023]: prnt/backend/hp.c 847: ERROR: null
print job total=0
Apr 8 08:26:25 hobbes hpcups[5007]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp 361:
DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
Apr 8 08:26:25 hobbes hp[5008]: prnt/backend/hp.c 847: ERROR: null
print job total=0
Apr 8 11:15:11 hobbes hpcups[7919]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp 361:
DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
Apr 8 11:15:12 hobbes hp[7920]: prnt/backend/hp.c 847: ERROR: null
print job total=0
---

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Tom Horsley
 
Default Printer problem

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:50:35 -0500
Richard Shaw wrote:

> System is F12 x86_64 connected to a HP Photosmart C5580
> (Printer/scanner/copier). Scanning has always worked flawlessly. I
> booted my XP virtual machine and could not find any errors in the
> toolbox but the HP drivers for linux have said the ink is low ever
> since I changed out the cartridges (w/ new HP cartridges.) It does not
> say which one is apparently low.

My C5580 works perfectly, but system-config-printer tells me
the printer won't report ink levels, so it sounds like we are
using different drivers. I just accepted the auto-installed
hplip driver the system picked for me, I didn't download anything
from HP or install any special drivers.
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Printer problem

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:50 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Apr 5 09:06:24 hobbes hpcups[15344]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp
> 361: DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found

Please try the test update:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/hplip-3.10.2-4.fc12

It contains a fix for bug #579355, which I believe you are seeing.

Tim.
*/

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Printer problem

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 12:50 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Apr *5 09:06:24 hobbes hpcups[15344]: prnt/hpcups/HPCupsFilter.cpp
>> 361: DEBUG: Bad PPD - hpPrinterLanguage not found
>
> Please try the test update:
> *https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/hplip-3.10.2-4.fc12
>
> It contains a fix for bug #579355, which I believe you are seeing.

Yes, I did finally run across that bug in bugzilla and verified I was
having the same problem. I tried updating the packages from the
link... I downloaded all the x86_64 packages but for some reason yum
kept trying to pull in hplip.i686 which I don't currently have
installed.

Thanks,
Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Printer problem

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 14:02 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Yes, I did finally run across that bug in bugzilla and verified I was
> having the same problem. I tried updating the packages from the
> link... I downloaded all the x86_64 packages but for some reason yum
> kept trying to pull in hplip.i686 which I don't currently have
> installed.

It has been pushed to updates-testing now so before too long you will be
able to do this:

yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update 'hpijs*' 'hplip*' 'libsane-hp*'

Tim.
*/

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Printer problem

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 5:23 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 14:02 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Yes, I did finally run across that bug in bugzilla and verified I was
>> having the same problem. I tried updating the packages from the
>> link... I downloaded all the x86_64 packages but for some reason yum
>> kept trying to pull in hplip.i686 which I don't currently have
>> installed.
>
> It has been pushed to updates-testing now so before too long you will be
> able to do this:
>
> yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update 'hpijs*' 'hplip*' 'libsane-hp*'

I ended up just deleting all my printer queues and recreating them
which fixed the problem including the "Low ink level". It's now back
to saying that ink level reporting is not supported. I was previously
unfamiliar with the "hp-levels" tool which reports that both black and
color are at about 90%. Since there is a tool, I wonder why can this
not be integrated with CUPS/HPLIP?

Thanks,
Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:45 PM
Tim Waugh
 
Default Printer problem

On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 07:36 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
> Since there is a tool, I wonder why can this
> not be integrated with CUPS/HPLIP?

The question should be posed the other way around: since CUPS supports a
generic way for any driver or backend to report marker levels, why don't
more drivers use it?

In fact, HPLIP is one of the very few drivers that does report ink
levels using the recommended method. It requires you to have printed
job to the queue, though, and I bet you didn't before checking the ink
levels..?

Tim.
*/

--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 
Old 04-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Richard Shaw
 
Default Printer problem

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 7:45 AM, Tim Waugh <twaugh@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-04-09 at 07:36 -0500, Richard Shaw wrote:
>> Since there is a tool, I wonder why can this
>> not be integrated with CUPS/HPLIP?
>
> The question should be posed the other way around: since CUPS supports a
> generic way for any driver or backend to report marker levels, why don't
> more drivers use it?
>
> In fact, HPLIP is one of the very few drivers that does report ink
> levels using the recommended method. *It requires you to have printed
> job to the queue, though, and I bet you didn't before checking the ink
> levels..?

Nope... I'll try that when I get home from work. But wouldn't still be
fairly easy to have a button in system-config-printer to "Check Ink
Levels" which would run hp-levels and report the results?

Thanks,
Richard
--
users mailing list
users@lists.fedoraproject.org
To unsubscribe or change subscription options:
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/users
Guidelines: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org