Old 01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
"Karl Pearson"

Default printer problem

Sure, come over, but I'm not Linda. Never have been... And all my
printers are working... Hmmm...

On Thu, January 15, 2009 10:13 am, Ted Potter wrote:
> Linda -
>
> Was wondering If I can stop in and re do your print driver. I was
> thinking
> about 11:00 today ? will
> that work for you ?
>

> --
> Ted Potter
> tpotter@techmarin.com

---
_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ ____________ __o
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ ____________ _-<._
_/_/ _/ _/_/_/ (_)/ (_)
_/ _/ _/ _/ ......................
_/ _/ arl _/_/_/ _/ earson KarlP@ourldsfamily.com
---
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---

Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM
Pastor JW

It seems the recent update has done something strange to my printer setup. It
was working fine but now will take over an hour to send a file to the
printer. If I open HP toolbox in a terminal it complains:

"QSettings: failed to open file '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'"

Then after about 20 minutes there comes up in the terminal:

"error: Unsupported model: Officejet_J6400_series"

Then after another 20 or so HP toolbox will fill in showing the printer but if
one goes to another screen in it the wait is the 20 minutes or so again then
the new screen.

If I send something to print, it takes a long time for the printer to show in
the print window and after selection you can hit the print button in that
window. From there you get the little box stating it is sending to the
printer and 17 to 25 minutes later the printer starts printing the page.

I'm out of ideas as to what is wrong, however trying to bring up localhost:631
takes also a very long time and IF a person were to make any changes it would
take more than a day to do so. Some screens are really fast taking only 20
minutes to come up but others can take two to three hours. So, ...any idea
what happened?

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 03-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Nigel Ridley

Pastor JW wrote:
> It seems the recent update has done something strange to my printer setup. It
> was working fine but now will take over an hour to send a file to the
> printer. If I open HP toolbox in a terminal it complains:
>
> "QSettings: failed to open file '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'"
>
> Then after about 20 minutes there comes up in the terminal:
>
> "error: Unsupported model: Officejet_J6400_series"
>
> Then after another 20 or so HP toolbox will fill in showing the printer but if
> one goes to another screen in it the wait is the 20 minutes or so again then
> the new screen.
>
> If I send something to print, it takes a long time for the printer to show in
> the print window and after selection you can hit the print button in that
> window. From there you get the little box stating it is sending to the
> printer and 17 to 25 minutes later the printer starts printing the page.
>
> I'm out of ideas as to what is wrong, however trying to bring up localhost:631
> takes also a very long time and IF a person were to make any changes it would
> take more than a day to do so. Some screens are really fast taking only 20
> minutes to come up but others can take two to three hours. So, ...any idea
> what happened?

Could it be that the recent update updated QT and therefore the HP Toolbox can't find the 'old'
QT anymore?
What version of QT do you have now?

It looks like it would be a good idea to delete your printer and then re-install it again (maybe
even re-install Hp Toolbox) - thus letting HP Toolbox know that there is a new version of QT.

Just a thought...

Blessings,

Nigel

Old 03-08-2009, 09:24 PM
Pastor JW

On Sunday 08 March 2009 11:18:34 am Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Could it be that the recent update updated QT and therefore the HP Toolbox
> can't find the 'old' QT anymore?
> What version of QT do you have now?

I have 8.04 with all its updates however, if I say apt-get install qt, it
says no such package available. Trying to Google give you 22000 hits of
completely worthless information as per normal. trying to find version only
gives you the Ubuntu version you are using and it isn't even called version!
Also Google advice. I suppose since I have installed all upgrades to 8.04
that I have the latest version of QT available to this Ubuntu distro. I
suspect the kernel update awhile back as the culprit but so far have nor been
able to get any answers on that one either.

> It looks like it would be a good idea to delete your printer and then
> re-install it again (maybe even re-install Hp Toolbox) - thus letting HP
> Toolbox know that there is a new version of QT.

What version of hplip do you suppose to be the one to use for an 8.04 install
of Kubuntu? When I do a sudo apt-get install hplip it says I have the latest
version but does not of course tell what that version is.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Jerry Lapham

On Sunday 08 March 2009 6:24:58 pm Pastor JW wrote:

> What version of hplip do you suppose to be the one to use for an 8.04
> install of Kubuntu? *When I do a sudo apt-get install hplip it says I have
> the latest version but does not of course tell what that version is.

Run HPLIP and check under Help->About. Mine shows ver 2.8.2 with Device
Manager Software Version 11.0.

-Jerry

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Eberhard Roloff

Pastor JW wrote:

> What version of hplip do you suppose to be the one to use for an 8.04 install
> of Kubuntu? When I do a sudo apt-get install hplip it says I have the latest
> version but does not of course tell what that version is.

apt-cache showpkg hplip

Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Alain Muls

On Sunday 08 March 2009 20:56:49 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > It seems the recent update has done something strange to my printer
> > setup. It was working fine but now will take over an hour to send a file
> > to the printer. If I open HP toolbox in a terminal it complains:
> >
> > "QSettings: failed to open file '/etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc'"
> >
> > Then after about 20 minutes there comes up in the terminal:
> >
> > "error: Unsupported model: Officejet_J6400_series"
> >
> > Then after another 20 or so HP toolbox will fill in showing the printer
> > but if one goes to another screen in it the wait is the 20 minutes or so
> > again then the new screen.
> >
> > If I send something to print, it takes a long time for the printer to
> > show in the print window and after selection you can hit the print button
> > in that window. From there you get the little box stating it is sending
> > to the printer and 17 to 25 minutes later the printer starts printing the
> > page.
> >
> > I'm out of ideas as to what is wrong, however trying to bring up
> > localhost:631 takes also a very long time and IF a person were to make
> > any changes it would take more than a day to do so. Some screens are
> > really fast taking only 20 minutes to come up but others can take two to
> > three hours. So, ...any idea what happened?
>
> Could it be that the recent update updated QT and therefore the HP Toolbox
> can't find the 'old' QT anymore?
> What version of QT do you have now?
>
> It looks like it would be a good idea to delete your printer and then
> re-install it again (maybe even re-install Hp Toolbox) - thus letting HP
> Toolbox know that there is a new version of QT.
>
> Just a thought...
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
Hi

Since a couple of weeks I too have a problem with CUPS. I have printers
installed for my home and 2 office locations. Previously the print box would
open without problem, but no it takes ages to do so. I now have a
printers.conf file for my home and office locations and I copy them to
printers.conf depending on the location I am and restart cups. Only like this
it works OK.

Alain MULS alain.muls@telenet.be
CISS-GENA +32.2.7426340
Renaissance Avenue 30
1000 BRUSSELS - Belgium

Old 03-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Pastor JW

On Monday 09 March 2009 3:37:38 am Alain Muls wrote:
> On Sunday 08 March 2009 20:56:49 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:

> Hi
>
> Since a couple of weeks I too have a problem with CUPS. I have printers
> installed for my home and 2 office locations. Previously the print box
> would open without problem, but no it takes ages to do so. I now have a
> printers.conf file for my home and office locations and I copy them to
> printers.conf depending on the location I am and restart cups. Only like
> this it works OK.

Does it erase your "printers.conf" file? And where did you get your new file
that you copy in? It seems /etc/cups/printers.conf
and /etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc are both blank on this machine so something is
not getting written on startup right? I don't remember a cups update but
there was a kernel one a couple weeks ago wasn't there? Yours sounds like
the same problem if I just hit the print button. Do you use HPLIP as
well? ...Or just Cups?

Old 03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Alain Muls

On Monday 09 March 2009 17:42:52 kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

> > Hi

> > Since a couple of weeks I too have a problem with CUPS. I have printers

> > installed for my home and 2 office locations. Previously the print box

> > would open without problem, but no it takes ages to do so. I now have a

> > printers.conf file for my home and office locations and I copy them to

> > printers.conf depending on the location I am and restart cups. Only like

> > this it works OK.

> Does it erase your "printers.conf" file? *And where did you get your new

> file that you copy in? *It seems /etc/cups/printers.conf

> and /etc/qt3/qt_plugins_3.3rc are both blank on this machine so something

> is not getting written on startup right? *I don't remember a cups update

> but there was a kernel one a couple weeks ago wasn't there? * *Yours sounds

> like the same problem if I just hit the print button. *Do you use HPLIP as

> well? *...Or just Cups?

Hi,

I just use cups and my printers.conf is not empty. I have created from the original printers.conf file a file printers.conf.home for working at home and 2 others for the office locations. So I just copy the one I need and restart cups. My problems started a couple of weeks ago and I think it is related to cups browsing for the printers for availability and it just waits for timeouts. It did not do that before and it is _very_ annoying.

Tx/Alain

Alain MULS alain.muls@telenet.be

CISS-GENA +32.2.7426340

Renaissance Avenue 30

1000 BRUSSELS - Belgium

Protect your freedom, join the Fellowship of FSFE!

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
Bernard G Hill

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8-10 and find that when printing to the HP Color
laserjet 3505 via USB only one job will print. When that job is
finished, it can be several pages of a document, the message 'the
printer may not be connected' is displayed. To resume printing either
the printer has to be switched off and then on again or the USB
connector disconnected and then reconnected. This will allow one more
job to be printed.

Another problem, which may be related as it involves USB, is that the
computer will not boot up but hangs if the external USB drive is
connected and switched on. This is just a nuisance and only needs a
check before booting but the printer problem is a bit more serious.

Help will be very much appreciated.

Berni.