Old 07-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Ed Jabbour

Default No drive icons on the desktop

10.04 here. There are no icons on my desktop. I've searched aplenty, but
can't find a solution. Specifically, I'd like the device icons, both
internal disks and external USB. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Tom H

> 10.04 here. *There are no icons on my desktop. *I've searched aplenty, but
> can't find a solution. *Specifically, *I'd like the device icons, both
> internal disks and external USB. *Any advice greatly appreciated.

gconf-editor:
/apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible

Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Tom H

>> 10.04 here. *There are no icons on my desktop. *I've searched aplenty, but
>> can't find a solution. *Specifically, *I'd like the device icons, both
>> internal disks and external USB. *Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> gconf-editor:
> /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible

Sorry, that is for GNOME...

Old 07-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Isak Enström

On 2010-07-25 22:27, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> 10.04 here. There are no icons on my desktop. I've searched aplenty, but
> can't find a solution. Specifically, I'd like the device icons, both
> internal disks and external USB. Any advice greatly appreciated.
>
> --

Are you aware of the plasma widget that sits in the notification area? I
think it's called "Device notifier"

Old 07-26-2010, 12:08 PM
Myriam Schweingruber

Hi all,

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:30, Isak Enström <isak.enstrom@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-25 22:27, Ed Jabbour wrote:
>> 10.04 here. *There are no icons on my desktop. *I've searched aplenty, but
>> can't find a solution. *Specifically, *I'd like the device icons, both
>> internal disks and external USB. *Any advice greatly appreciated.
>>
>> --
>>

> Are you aware of the plasma widget that sits in the notification area? I
> think it's called "Device notifier"

Which is only for external devices. The widget you are looking for is
called the "Shelf", which will be available in KDE SC 4.5, to be
released in roughly 2 weeks (keep an eye on http://kubuntu.org for the
announcement). There you can add Fixed devices and Removable devices
in the settings, I also added Places to show my local and remote
folders as well as the trashcan for the example. See a screenshot
here: http://myriam.kollide.net/shelf.png

Regards, Myriam

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 07-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 26 July 2010, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 12:30, Isak Enström
<isak.enstrom@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2010-07-25 22:27, Ed Jabbour wrote:
> >> 10.04 here. There are no icons on my desktop. I've searched
> >> aplenty, but can't find a solution. Specifically, I'd like
> >> the device icons, both internal disks and external USB. Any
> >> advice greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> --
> >
> > Are you aware of the plasma widget that sits in the notification
> > area? I think it's called "Device notifier"
>
> Which is only for external devices.

Actually, if you open the settings you can choose to display internal
devices, external devices or both.

--Reinhold