FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Frédéric SOSSON
 
Default boot stopped

OK let's try "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" I will tell you if if fixes the problem!

On 25 July 2010 19:47, Alvin <info@alvin.be> wrote:
> On 25/07/2010 19:12, Frédéric SOSSON wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> For two days my Kubuntu 10.04 boots incorrectly, I got a blue screen
>> "Kubuntu" underlined by four or five points. At this screen I can
>> enter CTRL-ALT-DEL or power button to reboot the machine.
>>
>> Do you have any idea?
>
> Yes, see bug 538524
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/538524
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
>



--
Frédéric SOSSON
Tél.: 0032 496 29 29 88

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-26-2010, 03:34 AM
Jerry Lapham
 
Default boot stopped

On Sunday, July 25, 2010 01:47:07 pm you wrote:

> On 25/07/2010 19:12, Frédéric SOSSON wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > For two days my Kubuntu 10.04 boots incorrectly, I got a blue screen
> > "Kubuntu" underlined by four or five points. At this screen I can
> > enter CTRL-ALT-DEL or power button to reboot the machine.
> >
> > Do you have any idea?
>
> Yes, see bug 538524
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/538524

I had similar symptoms on a laptop. After I removed a partition whose UUID
had changed from fstab, I was able to boot.

-Jerry
=============================================
Jerry Lapham
Monroe, OH 45050
rjlapham@gmail.com
=============================================
Reward for a job well done: more work.

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Paul Lemmons
 
Default boot stopped

On 07/25/2010 10:12 AM, Frédéric SOSSON wrote:

Hello,

For two days my Kubuntu 10.04 boots incorrectly, I got a blue screen
"Kubuntu" underlined by four or five points. At this screen I can
enter CTRL-ALT-DEL or power button to reboot the machine.

Do you have any idea?



Frédéric


Try hitting ESC at the GRUB startup and then (e)diting the kernel line
that you want to boot from then (e)dit the vmlinuz line and remove the
"splash" and "quite" options at the end of the line. Then (b)oot and see
what happens.


--
In a world without walls and fences we don't need Windows or Gates


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-27-2010, 05:17 PM
Mark Fraser
 
Default boot stopped

On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 17:43:38 Paul Lemmons wrote:

> On 07/25/2010 10:12 AM, Frédéric SOSSON wrote:

> > Hello,

> >

> > For two days my Kubuntu 10.04 boots incorrectly, I got a blue screen

> > "Kubuntu" underlined by four or five points. At this screen I can

> > enter CTRL-ALT-DEL or power button to reboot the machine.

> >

> > Do you have any idea?

> >

> >

> >

> > Frédéric

>

> Try hitting ESC at the GRUB startup and then (e)diting the kernel line

> that you want to boot from then (e)dit the vmlinuz line and remove the

> "splash" and "quite" options at the end of the line. Then (b)oot and see

> what happens.



Think that was supposed to be "quiet" above!



Recently, my computer was having trouble completing boot too, in the end I fixed it by adding the options:

"quiet splash vmalloc=256MB"



to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub.



--

Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM
Mark Fraser
 
Default boot stopped

On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 18:17:06 Mark Fraser wrote:

> On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 17:43:38 Paul Lemmons wrote:

> > On 07/25/2010 10:12 AM, Frédéric SOSSON wrote:

> > > Hello,

> > >

> > > For two days my Kubuntu 10.04 boots incorrectly, I got a blue screen

> > > "Kubuntu" underlined by four or five points. At this screen I can

> > > enter CTRL-ALT-DEL or power button to reboot the machine.

> > >

> > > Do you have any idea?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Frédéric

> >

> > Try hitting ESC at the GRUB startup and then (e)diting the kernel line

> > that you want to boot from then (e)dit the vmlinuz line and remove the

> > "splash" and "quite" options at the end of the line. Then (b)oot and see

> > what happens.

>

> Think that was supposed to be "quiet" above!

>

> Recently, my computer was having trouble completing boot too, in the end I

> fixed it by adding the options:

> "quiet splash vmalloc=256MB"

>

> to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub.



I've just had to reboot the computer 3 times as it was locking up again just before KDM starts, looking at /var/log/syslog I'm seeing



kdm[1263]: X server startup timeout, terminating

kdm[1263]: X server died during startup

kdm[1263]: Failed to start X server. Starting failsafe X server.







--

Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Frédéric SOSSON
 
Default boot stopped

The problem was fixed this way at my side:

# vi /etc/default/grub
- suppress quiet splash from this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
# update-grub

regards,

On 28 July 2010 15:39, Mark Fraser <ubuntu@mfraz.orangehome.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 18:17:06 Mark Fraser wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 27 Jul 2010 17:43:38 Paul Lemmons wrote:
>
>> > On 07/25/2010 10:12 AM, Frédéric SOSSON wrote:
>
>> > > Hello,
>
>> > >
>
>> > > For two days my Kubuntu 10.04 boots incorrectly, I got a blue screen
>
>> > > "Kubuntu" underlined by four or five points. At this screen I can
>
>> > > enter CTRL-ALT-DEL or power button to reboot the machine.
>
>> > >
>
>> > > Do you have any idea?
>
>> > >
>
>> > >
>
>> > >
>
>> > > Frédéric
>
>> >
>
>> > Try hitting ESC at the GRUB startup and then (e)diting the kernel line
>
>> > that you want to boot from then (e)dit the vmlinuz line and remove the
>
>> > "splash" and "quite" options at the end of the line. Then (b)oot and see
>
>> > what happens.
>
>>
>
>> Think that was supposed to be "quiet" above!
>
>>
>
>> Recently, my computer was having trouble completing boot too, in the end I
>
>> fixed it by adding the options:
>
>> "quiet splash vmalloc=256MB"
>
>>
>
>> to the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line in /etc/default/grub.
>
> I've just had to reboot the computer 3 times as it was locking up again just
> before KDM starts, looking at /var/log/syslog I'm seeing
>
> kdm[1263]: X server startup timeout, terminating
>
> kdm[1263]: X server died during startup
>
> kdm[1263]: Failed to start X server. Starting failsafe X server.
>
> --
>
> Registered Linux User #466407 http://counter.li.org
>
>
> --
> kubuntu-users mailing list
> kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org