Old 07-25-2010, 02:32 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default How do I make Ubuntu into a permanent OS

On Sunday 25 July 2010, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Saturday, July 24, 2010 09:59:49 pm ryan logan wrote:
> > I know this sounds dumb... or you might get this a lot, but, I
> > need some help!I love Linux, and Ubuntu has always been a + for
> > me. Well, I have Kubuntu 64 bit edition and it comes up with
> > the WUBI Installer, which is neat because of the desktop based
> > temporary OS partitioning... however, I want it to become a
> > full OS and not a temp. I have a 320 gig Drive that I want to
> > use it on, but, I cannot because I am unable for the life of me
> > to figure out how to make the change. It says that I can change
> > from temp to full, must it be done within the Ubuntu OS? Or can
> > I do this when I install it? Any help would be great guys/girls
> > ~Ryan
>
> You would simply boot your computer with the Kubuntu cd in the
> tray - it will boot off of that and you can install it to your
> drive from there.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall/Kubuntu

Since I never used wubi, I just have to ask: would that preserve the
data from the wubi install or should ryan do some backing up? And if
so, what needs to be backed up apart from the home directory?

--Reinhold

Old 07-25-2010, 02:52 AM
Clay Weber

On Saturday, July 24, 2010 10:32:22 pm Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 24, 2010 09:59:49 pm ryan logan wrote:
> > > I know this sounds dumb... or you might get this a lot, but, I
> > > need some help!I love Linux, and Ubuntu has always been a + for
> > > me. Well, I have Kubuntu 64 bit edition and it comes up with
> > > the WUBI Installer, which is neat because of the desktop based
> > > temporary OS partitioning... however, I want it to become a
> > > full OS and not a temp. I have a 320 gig Drive that I want to
> > > use it on, but, I cannot because I am unable for the life of me
> > > to figure out how to make the change. It says that I can change
> > > from temp to full, must it be done within the Ubuntu OS? Or can
> > > I do this when I install it? Any help would be great guys/girls
> > > ~Ryan
> >
> > You would simply boot your computer with the Kubuntu cd in the
> > tray - it will boot off of that and you can install it to your
> > drive from there.
> >
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall/Kubuntu
>
> Since I never used wubi, I just have to ask: would that preserve the
> data from the wubi install or should ryan do some backing up? And if
> so, what needs to be backed up apart from the home directory?
>
> --Reinhold

Wubi is a way to test and try (K)Ubuntu, and is not designed for permanent
use (though it seems quite safe doing so), it is runs from a file on your
widows partition.

so backing up the home directory is about it. There is no easy way to
'convert' a wubi setup into a permanent install -
http://www.wubi-installer.org/

Actually, there is a tool to transfer a Wubi install to an actual partititon,
but it does not support 10.04 right now

http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

Even if it did support Lucid, you would still have to get a partitioning tool
and run that to set everything up

Clay

Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
> On Sunday 25 July 2010, Clay Weber wrote:
>> On Saturday, July 24, 2010 09:59:49 pm ryan logan wrote:
>> > I know this sounds dumb... or you might get this a lot, but, I
>> > need some help!I love Linux, and Ubuntu has always been a + for
>> > me. Well, I have Kubuntu 64 bit edition and it comes up with
>> > the WUBI Installer, which is neat because of the desktop based
>> > temporary OS partitioning... however, I want it to become a
>> > full OS and not a temp. I have a 320 gig Drive that I want to
>> > use it on, but, I cannot because I am unable for the life of me
>> > to figure out how to make the change. It says that I can change
>> > from temp to full, must it be done within the Ubuntu OS? Or can
>> > I do this when I install it? Any help would be great guys/girls
>> > ~Ryan
>>
>> You would simply boot your computer with the Kubuntu cd in the
>> tray - it will boot off of that and you can install it to your
>> drive from there.
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall/Kubuntu
>
> Since I never used wubi, I just have to ask: would that preserve the
> data from the wubi install or should ryan do some backing up? And if
> so, what needs to be backed up apart from the home directory?

That shouldn't touch wubi. Wubi stores everything in a big file in
windows and the fresh install will be on another HD entirely.

If wubi doesn't have it's own installer, easiest approach is to
install linux onto the 320 GB hard dirve. Now go back to winders and
run wubi. Mount your new linux partitions inside wubi and copy your
home directory from wubi to the new linux install.

This should be pretty straight forward to do. The tricky part might
be if you have different UIDs on the two installations--but if you
have only one user that probably won't occur.

Michael