Old 01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
Richard

Default State of Konqueror ?

Well, after reviewing Dolphin the new file manager for KDE 4, and Firefox 3
Beta3. I could not help but think?, there must something serious wrong with
Konqueror...

Well, I don't understand why the KDE group would need dolphin?
there is Krusader!, if one is needed more.

I think IMHO there must be a serious issue with Konqueror, and that is why
they have not chosen to FIX Konqueror... maybe it would take to much time to
fix Konqueror... and its easier to come out with with newer product ?

as a file manager, its great!!, sure they could add more options, meta-data
mouse overs...etc and its very mature, piece of software, compare to Dolphin.

as a Web Browsers, as of late... it dieing a slow death...

first Adobe Newest Flash plug-in FAILS to work with Konqueror, there are
numerous reports, on launchpad about this.

second, Firefox has more customization via plug-in extensions to really kick
it to the next level. (hmmm, it would be nice) it Konqueror could do that,
then we would truly have it all... just a note firefox 3 browser is way faster
than firefox 2.x.11 way faster.. and less memory.

last, the Only browser, that score over 60 in the acid3 test, was firefox 3
beta 3, Konqueror version 3.5.8 [crash and burn.]

I'm just pointing out, some issue with Konqueror, would hate to see,
a great application, get thrown by the wayside... as it appears to be
happening... according to all the hype about kde 4 and its eyecandy.

Cheer's
Richard

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

> second, Firefox has more customization via plug-in extensions to really kick
> it to the next level. (hmmm, it would be nice) it Konqueror could do that,
> then we would truly have it all... just a note firefox 3 browser is way faster
> than firefox 2.x.11 way faster.. and less memory.

Not that I'm defending Konqeror at all (I'm a Firefox user), but there
is an extensions framework for Konqueror, but I just think that hardly
anyone has written any plugins for it. (Check under "Settings" ->
"Configure Extensions") I think the only one at the moment is a
text-to-speech accessibility extension that is installed by default.
I wouldn't even know where to look for new extensions, but the
framework is there to support them.

-Jared

Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Paul S

Richard said the following on 01/17/2008 02:45 PM:
> last, the Only browser, that score over 60 in the acid3 test, was firefox 3
> beta 3, Konqueror version 3.5.8 [crash and burn.]

The truth is that all gecko based browsers freeze on certain javascript
web pages I view. Talk about wasting time killing and restarting and
reloading. It's a daily problem here. The only way I can get it to
work is to use konqueror to identify the url of the script, then cut and
paste it into firefox's adblock filter. Then I can get firefox to work,
but it's very time consuming and annoying.

> I'm just pointing out, some issue with Konqueror, would hate to see,
> a great application, get thrown by the wayside... as it appears to be
> happening... according to all the hype about kde 4 and its eyecandy.

Konqueror is worse in it's present state, but my hope is that webkit can
be successfully used to make it better than firefox on all web pages,
then I'll make the switch. If it weren't for the flash plugin problem,
I'd be testing it out now with webkitkde as the driver.

What happened to opera .. I just tried it on a web page that konqueror
couldn't work because of the flash problem, and even opera didn't work
with the latest flash .. is it broken too?

regards,

Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Richard

On Thursday 17 January 2008 3:17:25 pm Jared Greenwald wrote:
> > second, Firefox has more customization via plug-in extensions to really
> > kick it to the next level. (hmmm, it would be nice) it Konqueror could do
> > that, then we would truly have it all... just a note firefox 3 browser is
> > way faster than firefox 2.x.11 way faster.. and less memory.
>
> Not that I'm defending Konqeror at all (I'm a Firefox user), but there
> is an extensions framework for Konqueror, but I just think that hardly
> anyone has written any plugins for it. (Check under "Settings" ->
> "Configure Extensions") I think the only one at the moment is a
> text-to-speech accessibility extension that is installed by default.
> I wouldn't even know where to look for new extensions, but the
> framework is there to support them.
>
> -Jared

Hey Jared,
well , as of late, I'm using firefox,
but I do miss using konqueror for all, it just work
as I have stated, in my previous email to the group,
if Konqueror had the option as of firefox would you use
firefox ? probably not.

Rich

Old 01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Richard

On Thursday 17 January 2008 3:22:27 pm Paul S wrote:
> Richard said the following on 01/17/2008 02:45 PM:
> > last, the Only browser, that score over 60 in the acid3 test, was
> > firefox 3 beta 3, Konqueror version 3.5.8 [crash and burn.]
>
> The truth is that all gecko based browsers freeze on certain javascript
> web pages I view. Talk about wasting time killing and restarting and
> reloading. It's a daily problem here. The only way I can get it to
> work is to use konqueror to identify the url of the script, then cut and
> paste it into firefox's adblock filter. Then I can get firefox to work,
> but it's very time consuming and annoying.

try Firefox 3 beta 3 its allot better than 2.x.11 (MUCH)

> > I'm just pointing out, some issue with Konqueror, would hate to see,
> > a great application, get thrown by the wayside... as it appears to be
> > happening... according to all the hype about kde 4 and its eyecandy.
>
> Konqueror is worse in it's present state, but my hope is that webkit can
> be successfully used to make it better than firefox on all web pages,
> then I'll make the switch. If it weren't for the flash plugin problem,
> I'd be testing it out now with webkitkde as the driver.

How True, webkit?, hmm, anything than letting it die a slow death,
and yes, for Flash you are stuck with 9.x.48 of flash,
and which veoh.com will not work, with the older version of flash.

> What happened to opera .. I just tried it on a web page that konqueror
> couldn't work because of the flash problem, and even opera didn't work
> with the latest flash .. is it broken too?

Yes, Opera, has some issue with flash, there something new in flash 9.x.115
that requires some other pieces of software, Opera is stuck at 9.x48 of flash
plug-in as well.

Richard

Old 01-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Richard wrote:

> I think IMHO there must be a serious issue with Konqueror, and that is why
> they have not chosen to FIX Konqueror... maybe it would take to much time
> to fix Konqueror... and its easier to come out with with newer product ?

I believe the point was that the problem with konqueror _is_ the file
browser - that it's not being maintained, and so the best fix is to use the
most actively developed file manager as a kpart. Not a bad idea, I just
don't think Dolphin is actually ready for that yet (or at least the Dolphin
kpart isn't).

> as a file manager, its great!!, sure they could add more options,
> meta-data mouse overs...etc and its very mature, piece of software,
> compare to Dolphin.
>
> as a Web Browsers, as of late... it dieing a slow death...

And by leaving the file management to somebody else they have more time to
devote to the web browser.

> first Adobe Newest Flash plug-in FAILS to work with Konqueror, there are
> numerous reports, on launchpad about this.

I just don't see how this is konqueror's fault.

> second, Firefox has more customization via plug-in extensions to really
> kick it to the next level. (hmmm, it would be nice) it Konqueror could do
> that,

It can - and I'd point out that its kparts cover a lot of ground that
Firefox plugins _don't_. Perhaps what it needs is a way to make it easier
to turn other apps into kparts - which could benefit _all_ of KDE. I don't
know if that's feasible, though.

> last, the Only browser, that score over 60 in the acid3 test, was firefox
> 3 beta 3, Konqueror version 3.5.8 [crash and burn.]

Ho hum. Yet another benchmark. Benchmarks are just another example
of "Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics".
--
derek