Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM

Default Fwd: downloading wicd for Kubuntu 8.04

I should think that would work fine in that case, though I have never used
mobile broadband myself.

clay

Old 07-20-2010, 06:31 AM
ray burke

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 8:34 AM, <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> [...]

clay in Xp pro,

if I install WICD in adept_manager and the mobile wireless
broadband(stick) dosent work can I reload the Kppp app to use as normal dialup?
I have read that I it wont run aling aside each other "wicd and Kppp)?

ray

Old 07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Clay Weber

On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 02:31:38 am ray burke wrote:

> clay in Xp pro,
>
> if I install WICD in adept_manager and the mobile wireless
> broadband(stick) dosent work can I reload the Kppp app to use as normal
> dialup? I have read that I it wont run aling aside each other "wicd and
> Kppp)?
>
> ray

I have no idea if *kppp* has any conflicts with wicd, I do know
*knetworkmanager* does.

Of course you can uninstall wicd and reinstall whatever you were using if it
does not work

Clay

Old 07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
"O. Sinclair"

On 20/07/2010 16:53, Clay Weber wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 02:31:38 am ray burke wrote:
>

>> clay in Xp pro,
>>
>> if I install WICD in adept_manager and the mobile wireless
>> broadband(stick) dosent work can I reload the Kppp app to use as normal
>> dialup? I have read that I it wont run aling aside each other "wicd and
>> Kppp)?
>>
>> ray
>
> I have no idea if *kppp* has any conflicts with wicd, I do know
> *knetworkmanager* does.
>
> Of course you can uninstall wicd and reinstall whatever you were using if it
> does not work

jumping in here: WICD and KPPP should not have conflicts as they deal
with different things. WICD does not deal with anything dial-up and KPPP
does not deal with anything BUT dial-up

Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 PM
ray burke

On 7/21/10, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/07/2010 16:53, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 02:31:38 am ray burke wrote:
> >

> >> clay in Xp pro,
> >>
> >> if I install WICD in adept_manager and the mobile wireless
> >> broadband(stick) dosent work can I reload the Kppp app to use as normal
> >> dialup? I have read that I it wont run aling aside each other "wicd and
> >> Kppp)?
> >>
> >> ray
> >
> > I have no idea if *kppp* has any conflicts with wicd, I do know
> > *knetworkmanager* does.
> >
> > Of course you can uninstall wicd and reinstall whatever you were using if it
> > does not work
>

> jumping in here: WICD and KPPP should not have conflicts as they deal
> with different things. WICD does not deal with anything dial-up and KPPP
> does not deal with anything BUT dial-up

o.sinclair,

Thanks for you advice and also to clay

ray

Old 07-23-2010, 08:43 PM
ray burke

On 7/21/10, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20/07/2010 16:53, Clay Weber wrote:
> > On Tuesday, July 20, 2010 02:31:38 am ray burke wrote:
> >

> >> clay in Xp pro,
> >>
> >> if I install WICD in adept_manager and the mobile wireless
> >> broadband(stick) dosent work can I reload the Kppp app to use as normal
> >> dialup? I have read that I it wont run aling aside each other "wicd and
> >> Kppp)?
> >>
> >> ray
> >
> > I have no idea if *kppp* has any conflicts with wicd, I do know
> > *knetworkmanager* does.
> >
> > Of course you can uninstall wicd and reinstall whatever you were using if it
> > does not work
>

> jumping in here: WICD and KPPP should not have conflicts as they deal
> with different things. WICD does not deal with anything dial-up and KPPP
> does not deal with anything BUT dial-up

o.sinclair in k,

I installed wicd it now shows in my k-menu, so I clicked on to it and then
it came up with a window for details about wireless connection but not
recognised
any when I plugged in my 3g usb modem stick (isp DoDo), and the double computer
screen shows in the notification area, so what is wrong /or what do I do?

ray

Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 20/07/2010 23:41, ray burke wrote:
> On 7/21/10, O. Sinclair<o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > I have no idea if *kppp* has any conflicts with wicd, I do know
>> > *knetworkmanager* does.
>> >
>> > Of course you can uninstall wicd and reinstall whatever you were using if it
>> > does not work
>>

>> jumping in here: WICD and KPPP should not have conflicts as they deal
>> with different things. WICD does not deal with anything dial-up and KPPP
>> does not deal with anything BUT dial-up
>>

>> --
>>
> o.sinclair,
>
> Thanks for you advice and also to clay

Ray, you may not like my advice but I really think you should upgrade to
something more recent than 8.04. It is very likely that your device will
never be recognized for a 3G modem thanks to the age of the system.

If you do not like the jump from KDE 3.5.10 to KDE 4 (I can understand
that...) then you can try the KDE 3.5 "remix" of Karmic or Lucid:
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/

Kindly,
Sinclair