-   -   lucid: DVDs no longer accessible (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/401432-lucid-dvds-no-longer-accessible.html)

"D. R. Evans" 07-19-2010 10:16 PM

lucid: DVDs no longer accessible

D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
> This worked fine in jaunty (and earlier releases).
>
> 1. When I put a DVD in my DVD reader, there is no longer any kind of popup
> notification.
>
> 2. If I try to mount /dev/sr0 (which for some reason is now the designation
> of the first drive; it silently changed a couple of releases ago; I forget
> what it used to be), I get:
> $ mount /dev/sr0
> mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
>
> 3. If I try to mount /dev/sr1 (my second DVD drive) I get:
> $ mount /dev/sr1
> mount: can't find /dev/sr1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

FWIW:

$ ls -al /dev/sr*
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-07-19 16:09 /dev/sr0

I have no idea where there isn't a sr1 entry, nor exactly how to generate
one with the correct properties.

Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not even
/dev/sr0).

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Mark Greenwood 07-19-2010 10:37 PM

On Monday 19 Jul 2010 23:16:18 D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
> > This worked fine in jaunty (and earlier releases).
> >
> > 1. When I put a DVD in my DVD reader, there is no longer any kind of popup
> > notification.
> >
> > 2. If I try to mount /dev/sr0 (which for some reason is now the designation
> > of the first drive; it silently changed a couple of releases ago; I forget
> > what it used to be), I get:
> > $ mount /dev/sr0
> > mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
> >
> > 3. If I try to mount /dev/sr1 (my second DVD drive) I get:
> > $ mount /dev/sr1
> > mount: can't find /dev/sr1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
> >

> FWIW:
>
> $ ls -al /dev/sr*
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-07-19 16:09 /dev/sr0
>
> I have no idea where there isn't a sr1 entry, nor exactly how to generate
> one with the correct properties.
>
> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not even
> /dev/sr0).
>
> Doc

I can't fully answer the question, but you no longer need an entry for any removeable drive in /etc/fstab. I think this is all now handled transparently by udev.

Given the permissions on /dev/sr0, I'd check that your user is in the 'cdrom' group, and add yourself to it if not.

Mark

Goh Lip 07-20-2010 01:13 AM

On 07/20/2010 06:16 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :

> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not even
> /dev/sr0).

Did you, by any chance install lucid, or upgrade to lucid, by mounting
the iso file? (mount -o loop xxxxxxxxxx.iso /media/xxxx)

I have a similiar issue with Maverick and settled this by manually
adding an entry to cdrom in the fstab, (reboot is necessary).

/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Hope this helps.
Regards - Goh Lip

"D. R. Evans" 07-20-2010 01:45 AM

Mark Greenwood said the following at 07/19/2010 04:37 PM :
> On Monday 19 Jul 2010 23:16:18 D. R. Evans wrote:
>> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
>>> This worked fine in jaunty (and earlier releases).
>>>
>>> 1. When I put a DVD in my DVD reader, there is no longer any kind of
>>> popup notification.
>>>
>>> 2. If I try to mount /dev/sr0 (which for some reason is now the
>>> designation of the first drive; it silently changed a couple of
>>> releases ago; I forget what it used to be), I get: $ mount /dev/sr0
>>> mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
>>>
>>> 3. If I try to mount /dev/sr1 (my second DVD drive) I get: $ mount
>>> /dev/sr1 mount: can't find /dev/sr1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>>>

>> FWIW:
>>
>> $ ls -al /dev/sr* brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-07-19 16:09
>> /dev/sr0
>>
>> I have no idea where there isn't a sr1 entry, nor exactly how to
>> generate one with the correct properties.
>>
>> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not
>> even /dev/sr0).
>>
>> Doc
>>

> I can't fully answer the question, but you no longer need an entry for
> any removeable drive in /etc/fstab. I think this is all now handled
> transparently by udev.

OK... except that apparently this is one of those cases where something
that is supposed to be happening automagically isn't in fact happening :-(
Sp if anyone has any pointers as to what I can do to make the DVD drives
behave the way they're supposed to, I'd be most appreciative.

> Given the permissions on /dev/sr0, I'd check that your user is in the
> 'cdrom' group, and add yourself to it if not.

It is in the "cdrom" group.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Ric Moore 07-20-2010 02:16 AM

On Mon, 2010-07-19 at 19:45 -0600, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Mark Greenwood said the following at 07/19/2010 04:37 PM :

> >> FWIW:
> >>
> >> $ ls -al /dev/sr* brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-07-19 16:09
> >> /dev/sr0
> >>
> >> I have no idea where there isn't a sr1 entry, nor exactly how to
> >> generate one with the correct properties.
> >>
> >> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not
> >> even /dev/sr0).
> >>
> >> Doc
> >>

> > I can't fully answer the question, but you no longer need an entry for
> > any removeable drive in /etc/fstab. I think this is all now handled
> > transparently by udev.
>
> OK... except that apparently this is one of those cases where something
> that is supposed to be happening automagically isn't in fact happening :-(
> Sp if anyone has any pointers as to what I can do to make the DVD drives
> behave the way they're supposed to, I'd be most appreciative.
>

> > Given the permissions on /dev/sr0, I'd check that your user is in the
> > 'cdrom' group, and add yourself to it if not.
>
> It is in the "cdrom" group.

I figured it had to be something simple in "System Settings", but so far
it ain't. When you find out, I'd like to know too. Ric

Wulfy 07-20-2010 02:49 AM

On 19/07/10 23:11, D. R. Evans wrote:
> This worked fine in jaunty (and earlier releases).
>
> 1. When I put a DVD in my DVD reader, there is no longer any kind of popup
> notification.

I have a similar problem. I can play DVDs but my DVDWriter doesn't even
see a blank DVD.

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Copyright July 17, 1988 by Del Goetz

Amazon Wish List: http://www.amazon.co.uk/wishlist/1VHY9YUKGDMLE

"D. R. Evans" 07-20-2010 02:56 PM

Goh Lip said the following at 07/19/2010 07:13 PM :
> On 07/20/2010 06:16 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
>> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
>

>> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not even
>> /dev/sr0).
>
> Did you, by any chance install lucid, or upgrade to lucid, by mounting
> the iso file? (mount -o loop xxxxxxxxxx.iso /media/xxxx)

Nope. I did the vanilla upgrade over the Internet.

> I have a similiar issue with Maverick and settled this by manually
> adding an entry to cdrom in the fstab, (reboot is necessary).
>
> /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

That wouldn't affect a /dev/sr* device though (would it)?

And from what Mark said in e-mail
201007192337.46739.captain_bodge@yahoo.co.uk, "you no longer need an entry
for any removeable drive in /etc/fstab". (Also I'm not clear why a reboot
would change anything; /etc/fstab should be read every time a device is
mounted.)

I'm willing to try it when I can do a reboot, but that won't be for a few
days (I'm running a long background job). I can't say I'm sanguine, but
maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions I could try in the meantime?

Removeable drives is something I know very little about in Linux. I don't
know what, for example, creates the /dev/sr* filesystem entries.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Reinhold Rumberger 07-20-2010 03:24 PM

On Tuesday 20 July 2010, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Goh Lip said the following at 07/19/2010 07:13 PM :
> > On 07/20/2010 06:16 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> >> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
> >>

> >> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab
> >> (not even /dev/sr0).
> >
> > Did you, by any chance install lucid, or upgrade to lucid, by
> > mounting the iso file? (mount -o loop xxxxxxxxxx.iso
> > /media/xxxx)
>
> Nope. I did the vanilla upgrade over the Internet.
>
> > I have a similiar issue with Maverick and settled this by
> > manually adding an entry to cdrom in the fstab, (reboot is
> > necessary).
> >
> > /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8
> > 0 0
>
> That wouldn't affect a /dev/sr* device though (would it)?

That's what you'd expect...
I also have that line and no idea what it does. DVDs work here.

> And from what Mark said in e-mail
> 201007192337.46739.captain_bodge@yahoo.co.uk, "you no longer need
> an entry for any removeable drive in /etc/fstab". (Also I'm not
> clear why a reboot would change anything; /etc/fstab should be
> read every time a device is mounted.)
>
> I'm willing to try it when I can do a reboot, but that won't be
> for a few days (I'm running a long background job). I can't say
> I'm sanguine, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

You could try "sudo reload udev" (should re-read config files) or
"sudo restart udev" (restart the whole udev sub-system).

> Does anyone else have any other suggestions I could try in the
> meantime?
>
> Removeable drives is something I know very little about in Linux.
> I don't know what, for example, creates the /dev/sr* filesystem
> entries.

As I understand it, udev is supposed to replace those static /dev
entries, which always were a giant PITA for everyone in a
heterogeneous environment...

--Reinhold

William Hamra 07-21-2010 06:26 PM

On 07/20/2010 01:16 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
>> This worked fine in jaunty (and earlier releases).
>>
>> 1. When I put a DVD in my DVD reader, there is no longer any kind of popup
>> notification.
>>
>> 2. If I try to mount /dev/sr0 (which for some reason is now the designation
>> of the first drive; it silently changed a couple of releases ago; I forget
>> what it used to be), I get:
>> $ mount /dev/sr0
>> mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
>>
>> 3. If I try to mount /dev/sr1 (my second DVD drive) I get:
>> $ mount /dev/sr1
>> mount: can't find /dev/sr1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>>

> FWIW:
>
> $ ls -al /dev/sr*
> brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 2010-07-19 16:09 /dev/sr0
>
> I have no idea where there isn't a sr1 entry, nor exactly how to generate
> one with the correct properties.
>
> Also, there is no mention of any /dev/sr* device in /etc/fstab (not even
> /dev/sr0).
>
> Doc

did you try a full command? udev is supposed to automagically mount it,
but it's not, and the policy now is not include removable devices in
fstab, since udev handles them... so a simple mount command will always
fail.
try :

sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom

this works fine on my system.... if it's DVD as you mention, you *might*
need to add the -t option, it can be iso9660 or ufs, so the command becomes:

sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
OR
sudo mount -t ufs /dev/sr0 /cdrom

iso should be automatically detected... universal filesystem has given
me some trouble in the past, but manually specifying it, always works.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Reinhold Rumberger 07-21-2010 06:43 PM

lucid: DVDs no longer accessible

On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:
<snip>

> try :
>
> sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>
> this works fine on my system.... if it's DVD as you mention, you
> *might* need to add the -t option, it can be iso9660 or ufs, so
> the command becomes:

You mean udf?

> sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> OR