Old 07-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Mark Greenwood

Default lucid: DVDs no longer accessible

On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 11:57:15 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Thursday 22 July 2010, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 09:59:07 Ric Moore wrote:
> > > I think you mis-understood. Our DVD drives are just fine. But,
> > > in Lucid, if you put in a movie DVD you no longer get the popup
> > > asking you what to do with it ... K3B, Xine, Movie Player, etc.
> > > It no longer happens and I did a fresh install of Lucid. It's
> > > probably just something wacky somewhere. Otherwise, DVD's play
> > > just fine manually. Ric
> >
> > Just a thought, is the device notifier running in your system
> > tray?
>
> I think he means that HAL autostart popup, which is a separate window
> and doesn't have anything to do with the device notifier.

Precisely, and the HAL autostart popup isn't going to work in Lucid, because Lucid has deprecated HAL in favour of udev.

Mark

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Brian Wootton

On 22/07/10 01:54, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Re: lucid: DVDs no longer accessible
All the previous stuff on this topic sounds very erudite, maybe I'm
missing something, but I have had on occasion 3 DVD drives plugged
into my machine and the auto-mounter has no trouble finding
any or all of them, nor any trouble mounting them if I want, is
this what is not working for you guys?
brian

Old 07-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 16:18:28 Brian Wootton wrote:
> On 22/07/10 01:54, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > Re: lucid: DVDs no longer accessible
> All the previous stuff on this topic sounds very erudite, maybe I'm
> missing something, but I have had on occasion 3 DVD drives plugged
> into my machine and the auto-mounter has no trouble finding
> any or all of them, nor any trouble mounting them if I want, is
> this what is not working for you guys?
> brian

It's not working for *those* guys, it works fine for me :-)

Another thought - there is one thing that can stop a USB removeable drive from being detected - USB autosuspend. You might have enabled this if you've been playing with powerTOP or laptop-mode-tools. It's a common powersaving measure. Google for how to disable it because I can't remember.

The other thing is one that will definitely prevent CDROMs being detected - it's another common powersaving measure, and it's HAL polling. (I know we've been saying it's all udev, but I think HAL is still involved somewhere along the line as udev isn't complete yet). You need HAL polling to detect inserted CDROMs etc. This is another thing that can be disabled with powerTOP or laptop-mode-tools.
Try sudo hal-disable-polling -enable-polling /dev/sr0

Mark

Old 07-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 12:09 +0100, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 11:57:15 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > >
> > > Just a thought, is the device notifier running in your system
> > > tray?
> >
> > I think he means that HAL autostart popup, which is a separate window
> > and doesn't have anything to do with the device notifier.
>
> Precisely, and the HAL autostart popup isn't going to work in Lucid, because Lucid has deprecated HAL in favour of udev.
>
> Mark
>

> > Ric, if I'm right, this is done differently now. There's the device
> > notifier Mark mentioned, which - if put in the system tray - will pop
> > up whenever you attach a new storage device. You can than click on
> > the device to get a list of possible actions.
> >
> > --Reinhold

You guys nailed it. It now pops up and asks me what to do with the DVD.
Thanks! Ric

Old 07-22-2010, 06:16 PM
Nigel Ridley

On 07/22/2010 07:03 PM, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 16:18:28 Brian Wootton wrote:
>> On 22/07/10 01:54, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
>>> Re: lucid: DVDs no longer accessible
>> All the previous stuff on this topic sounds very erudite, maybe I'm
>> missing something, but I have had on occasion 3 DVD drives plugged
>> into my machine and the auto-mounter has no trouble finding
>> any or all of them, nor any trouble mounting them if I want, is
>> this what is not working for you guys?
>> brian
>>

> It's not working for *those* guys, it works fine for me :-)
>
> Another thought - there is one thing that can stop a USB removeable drive from being detected - USB autosuspend. You might have enabled this if you've been playing with powerTOP or laptop-mode-tools. It's a common powersaving measure. Google for how to disable it because I can't remember.
>
> The other thing is one that will definitely prevent CDROMs being detected - it's another common powersaving measure, and it's HAL polling. (I know we've been saying it's all udev, but I think HAL is still involved somewhere along the line as udev isn't complete yet). You need HAL polling to detect inserted CDROMs etc. This is another thing that can be disabled with powerTOP or laptop-mode-tools.
> Try sudo hal-disable-polling -enable-polling /dev/sr0
>
> Mark

I have a strange thing on my [upgraded] Lucid. Sometimes, like just now, I can't get the cdrom to
mount a disc. The green light flashes and I can hear it doing its stuff but it gives up after
about 30sec.
The only way I can mount it is to do:
nigel@nigel:~$ sudo mount /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0
[sudo] password for nigel:
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
nigel@nigel:~$

It takes ages - well over a minute - but it does eventually mount and I can access the files
through Dolphin.

I don't know why but it is really annoying.
If I remember right a reboot usually fixes the problem (until next time).

Nigel
--
PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/

Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
"D. R. Evans"

D. R. Evans said the following at 07/19/2010 04:11 PM :
> This worked fine in jaunty (and earlier releases).
>
> 1. When I put a DVD in my DVD reader, there is no longer any kind of popup
> notification.
>
> 2. If I try to mount /dev/sr0 (which for some reason is now the designation
> of the first drive; it silently changed a couple of releases ago; I forget
> what it used to be), I get:
> $ mount /dev/sr0
> mount: no medium found on /dev/sr0
>
> 3. If I try to mount /dev/sr1 (my second DVD drive) I get:
> $ mount /dev/sr1
> mount: can't find /dev/sr1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab
>
> I didn't change anything from jaunty.
>
> So I have two questions:
>
> a. What changed? (Presumably, the upgrade from jaunty to lucid did
> something, but I have no idea what, or why.)
>
> b. How do I get back the ability to mount DVDs?

So this turned out to be one of those things that should never happen in
linux. I finally had chance to reboot today... and now both DVDs are found,
and I get notifications when I put discs in the drives.

So I suppose this will remain a mystery (at least until it happens again) :-(

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. At least I'll know that this thread
exists if this behaviour recurs.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 17:03 +0100, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 16:18:28 Brian Wootton wrote:
> > On 22/07/10 01:54, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> > > Re: lucid: DVDs no longer accessible
> > All the previous stuff on this topic sounds very erudite, maybe I'm
> > missing something, but I have had on occasion 3 DVD drives plugged
> > into my machine and the auto-mounter has no trouble finding
> > any or all of them, nor any trouble mounting them if I want, is
> > this what is not working for you guys?
> > brian

Device notifier did the trick. Ric