Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
William Hamra

Default lucid: DVDs no longer accessible

On 07/21/2010 09:43 PM, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> try :
>>
>> sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>>
>> this works fine on my system.... if it's DVD as you mention, you
>> *might* need to add the -t option, it can be iso9660 or ufs, so
>> the command becomes:
>
> You mean udf?
>
>> sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>> OR
>> sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>
> Corrected that command...
>
> --Reinhold

snap.. yeah, it's udf... thanks for the correction

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 21:51 +0300, William Hamra wrote:
> On 07/21/2010 09:43 PM, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> try :
> >>
> >> sudo mount /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> >>
> >> this works fine on my system.... if it's DVD as you mention, you
> >> *might* need to add the -t option, it can be iso9660 or ufs, so
> >> the command becomes:
> >
> > You mean udf?
> >
> >> sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> >> OR
> >> sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> >
> > Corrected that command...
> >
> > --Reinhold
> >

> snap.. yeah, it's udf... thanks for the correction

Still doesn't address why the DVD isn't fired up automagically, when
it's inserted. It just doesn't seem to work no mo'. Ric

Old 07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Steve Morris

On 22/07/10 05:16, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 21:51 +0300, William Hamra wrote:
>
>> On 07/21/2010 09:43 PM, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
>>
>>> On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> You mean udf?

>>> Corrected that command...
>>>
>>> --Reinhold
>>>

>> snap.. yeah, it's udf... thanks for the correction
>>

> Still doesn't address why the DVD isn't fired up automagically, when
> it's inserted. It just doesn't seem to work no mo'. Ric

I haven't been following following this thread so excuse me if my
suggestions have already been made.
As a starting point have you checked whether or not the bios still sees
the second dvd drive? If the bios sees it, are there any messages in
syslog or boot.log around the boot time device initialisation failing on
the 2nd device?

regards,
Steve

Old 07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 07/20/2010 09:24 AM :
> sudo restart udev

No change in behaviour :-( And, in particular, still only /dev/sr0; no
/dev/sr1.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 07/21/2010 12:43 PM :
> On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:

>> this works fine on my system.... if it's DVD as you mention, you
>> *might* need to add the -t option, it can be iso9660 or ufs, so
>> the command becomes:
>
> You mean udf?
>
>> sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>> OR
>> sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom

I hope this is a clue for someone:

----

[HN:~] sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
(could this be the IDE device where you in fact use
ide-scsi so that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
dmesg | tail or so

[HN:~] sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr1 /cdrom
mount: special device /dev/sr1 does not exist
[HN:~]

----

I think I'm going to try to break this down, since there seem to be at
least two issues here.

So I think the first problem is: what do I need to do to create a /dev/sr1
entry? (I assume that sr* is the correct name for DVD devices.)

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 07-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Wednesday 21 July 2010, D. R. Evans wrote:
> Reinhold Rumberger said the following at 07/21/2010 12:43 PM :
> > On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:
> >> this works fine on my system.... if it's DVD as you mention,
> >> you *might* need to add the -t option, it can be iso9660 or
> >> ufs, so
> >
> >> the command becomes:
> > You mean udf?
> >
> >> sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> >> OR
> >> sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom
>
> I hope this is a clue for someone:
>
> ----
>
> [HN:~] sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr0 /cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting
> read-only mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/sr0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error
> (could this be the IDE device where you in fact use ide-scsi so
> that sr0 or sda or so is needed?)
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so

Means that there is something in the drive but not udf - try
"-t auto" instead.

> [HN:~] sudo mount -t udf /dev/sr1 /cdrom
> mount: special device /dev/sr1 does not exist

Now, that one is obvious... ;-)

> I think I'm going to try to break this down, since there seem to
> be at least two issues here.
>
> So I think the first problem is: what do I need to do to create a
> /dev/sr1 entry? (I assume that sr* is the correct name for DVD
> devices.)

You should *definitely* look in dmesg and /var/log/messages for any
related errors or warnings - is the drive even being recognised.
Also, checking the BIOS for both drives should be on your TODO list
when you next get a chance to reboot.

One thing you might try, if it isn't important that device names
don't change this once, is try to remove
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules and "sudo restart udev".

One last thing to try is to see, whether Knoppix or some other live
distro finds the drive.

There's always the possibility that the drive is broken, not properly
plugged in or (in case of IDE drives) not jumpered properly. Can you
check any of these?

--Reinhold

Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Gene Heskett

On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 08:44:42 pm Ric Moore did opine:

> On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 21:51 +0300, William Hamra wrote:
> > On 07/21/2010 09:43 PM, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 21 July 2010, William Hamra wrote:
> > > <snip>

> > > You mean udf?

> > > Corrected that command...
> > >
> > > --Reinhold
> >
> > snap.. yeah, it's udf... thanks for the correction
>
> Still doesn't address why the DVD isn't fired up automagically, when
> it's inserted. It just doesn't seem to work no mo'. Ric

That is what my last burner did, Ric. I fought with it for a week, gave up
& saddled up my GMC and made a trip to dear old WallyWorld clear out to the
other end of town, where a fresh LiteOn with a sata interface seemed to
beckon to me. It couldn't do lightscribe, but I found that was only very
slightly better than worthless when it did work with the previous 3 drives.
No where near enough contrast to the image IMNSHO. That was about 4 months
back up the log.

Then I thought I had lost it a couple of weeks ago as it didn't recognize
the cd of PClinuxOS-2010-7-x64 I had just burned in it. But a full,
powerdown reset for about 30 seconds brought it back to life.

I have not had a burner last me a full year yet, usually just long enough
for the warranty to expire. BBLB syndrome I guess.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 20:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 08:44:42 pm Ric Moore did opine:

> > > snap.. yeah, it's udf... thanks for the correction
> >
> > Still doesn't address why the DVD isn't fired up automagically, when
> > it's inserted. It just doesn't seem to work no mo'. Ric
>
> That is what my last burner did, Ric. I fought with it for a week, gave up
> & saddled up my GMC and made a trip to dear old WallyWorld clear out to the
> other end of town, where a fresh LiteOn with a sata interface seemed to
> beckon to me. It couldn't do lightscribe, but I found that was only very
> slightly better than worthless when it did work with the previous 3 drives.
> No where near enough contrast to the image IMNSHO. That was about 4 months
> back up the log.
>
> Then I thought I had lost it a couple of weeks ago as it didn't recognize
> the cd of PClinuxOS-2010-7-x64 I had just burned in it. But a full,
> powerdown reset for about 30 seconds brought it back to life.
>
> I have not had a burner last me a full year yet, usually just long enough
> for the warranty to expire. BBLB syndrome I guess.

I think you mis-understood. Our DVD drives are just fine. But, in Lucid,
if you put in a movie DVD you no longer get the popup asking you what to
do with it ... K3B, Xine, Movie Player, etc. It no longer happens and I
did a fresh install of Lucid. It's probably just something wacky
somewhere. Otherwise, DVD's play just fine manually. Ric

Old 07-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 09:59:07 Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-21 at 20:54 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Still doesn't address why the DVD isn't fired up automagically, when
> > > it's inserted. It just doesn't seem to work no mo'. Ric
> >
> > That is what my last burner did, Ric. I fought with it for a week, gave up
> > & saddled up my GMC and made a trip to dear old WallyWorld clear out to the
> > other end of town, where a fresh LiteOn with a sata interface seemed to
> > beckon to me. It couldn't do lightscribe, but I found that was only very
> > slightly better than worthless when it did work with the previous 3 drives.
> > No where near enough contrast to the image IMNSHO. That was about 4 months
> > back up the log.
> >
> > Then I thought I had lost it a couple of weeks ago as it didn't recognize
> > the cd of PClinuxOS-2010-7-x64 I had just burned in it. But a full,
> > powerdown reset for about 30 seconds brought it back to life.
> >
> > I have not had a burner last me a full year yet, usually just long enough
> > for the warranty to expire. BBLB syndrome I guess.
>
> I think you mis-understood. Our DVD drives are just fine. But, in Lucid,
> if you put in a movie DVD you no longer get the popup asking you what to
> do with it ... K3B, Xine, Movie Player, etc. It no longer happens and I
> did a fresh install of Lucid. It's probably just something wacky
> somewhere. Otherwise, DVD's play just fine manually. Ric

Just a thought, is the device notifier running in your system tray?

Mark

Old 07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 22 July 2010, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Thursday 22 Jul 2010 09:59:07 Ric Moore wrote:
> > I think you mis-understood. Our DVD drives are just fine. But,
> > in Lucid, if you put in a movie DVD you no longer get the popup
> > asking you what to do with it ... K3B, Xine, Movie Player, etc.
> > It no longer happens and I did a fresh install of Lucid. It's
> > probably just something wacky somewhere. Otherwise, DVD's play
> > just fine manually. Ric
>
> Just a thought, is the device notifier running in your system
> tray?

I think he means that HAL autostart popup, which is a separate window
and doesn't have anything to do with the device notifier.

Ric, if I'm right, this is done differently now. There's the device
notifier Mark mentioned, which - if put in the system tray - will pop
up whenever you attach a new storage device. You can than click on
the device to get a list of possible actions.

--Reinhold