FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Nigel Ridley
 
Default kdm error

Feisty:
I just did an sudo apt-get update > sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
Everything installed OK but then there were lots of Khandler(?) crashes
- I just clicked thru them (closed them) and logged out (to restart KDE
after all the new KDE stuff got updated). I never got the login screen back.

After trying several things, including booting into rescue mode (startx
works in the root account) I rebooted and was dropped to tty1. I
switched to tty7 and was presented with the following:

Starting K Display Manager: kdm/usr/bin/kdm: error while loading shared
libraries: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2: ELF file version does not
match current one
already running.
*Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local) [OK]

I was then left with a blinking '-'

Back on tty1 I logged in and tried 'startx' - I got a [brief] splash
screen, then a gray screen with a small x (like the mouse cursor one)
for a moment, then got dropped to back to tty1.

Any ideas on a fix?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default kdm error

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Starting K Display Manager: kdm/usr/bin/kdm: error while loading shared
> libraries: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2: ELF file version does not
> match current one
...
> Any ideas on a fix?

Remove libc6-i686 and try again. If that works, then try reinstalling
libc6-i686.

This was a _common_ problem in feisty pre-release, but I've never seen it in
stable versions.
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 01:19 PM
Nigel Ridley
 
Default kdm error

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>
>> Starting K Display Manager: kdm/usr/bin/kdm: error while loading shared
>> libraries: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2: ELF file version does not
>> match current one
> ...
>> Any ideas on a fix?
>
> Remove libc6-i686 and try again. If that works, then try reinstalling
> libc6-i686.
>
> This was a _common_ problem in feisty pre-release, but I've never seen it in
> stable versions.

Thanks that did it - I think. My daughter had already successfully
started the computer and was using it when I came home from work!
Anyway I did as you suggested and now it starts OK.

Blessings,

Nigel

--
OliveRoot Ministries
http://www.oliveroot.net/

PrayingForIsrael.net
http://www.prayingforisrael.net/



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 04:34 PM
Derek Broughton
 
Default kdm error

Nigel Ridley wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Nigel Ridley wrote:
>>
>>> Starting K Display Manager: kdm/usr/bin/kdm: error while loading shared
>>> libraries: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2: ELF file version does not
>>> match current one
>> ...
>>> Any ideas on a fix?
>>
>> Remove libc6-i686 and try again. If that works, then try reinstalling
>> libc6-i686.
>>
>> This was a _common_ problem in feisty pre-release, but I've never seen it
>> in stable versions.
>
> Thanks that did it - I think. My daughter had already successfully
> started the computer and was using it when I came home from work!
> Anyway I did as you suggested and now it starts OK.

btw, this should never happen with gutsy.

The problem occurs (aiui - this is the voice of experience, not that of a
kernel developer!) because you have libc6 and libc6-i686 and the installer
has to update one or the other first - but they both need to be at the same
version! I found it caused so many problems when I was running feisty
pre-release versions that I simply uninstalled libc6-i686 (it only contains
686-optimized versions of functions in libc6) until feisty was officially
released.

Since Gutsy, we now see apt periodically print a message about deferred
libc6 updates, which I believe is intended specifically to prevent this
problem
--
derek


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 01-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Sylviane et Perry White
 
Default kdm error

On Friday 18 January 2008 15:19, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> >> Any ideas on a fix?
> >
> > Remove libc6-i686 and try again. *If that works, then try reinstalling
> > libc6-i686.
> >
> > This was a _common_ problem in feisty pre-release, but I've never seen it
> > in stable versions.
>
> Thanks that did it - I think. My daughter had already successfully
> started the computer and was using it when I came home from work!
How?
> Anyway I did as you suggested and now it starts OK.
Why? Did you still need to?

Perry
--
BOFH excuse #420: Feature was not beta tested

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org