Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 AM
Gene Heskett

Default kmail standard templates

> Gene Heskett wrote:

> Yes, I know where it is but I won't tell you because you are supposed to
> trim your messages.

Yes Master. ;-)

> OK, I'll tell you anyway: Go to "Settings" -> "Configure Kmail…" -> "E-
> Mail-Editor" (or is that "Composer"?) -> "Standard Templates". Click on
> the vertical tab (or whatever it is called) "Reply to All / Reply to
> List" and move the "%CURSOR" to the end.

It wasn't even there, so I added it. It now Just Works(TM). Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Gene Heskett

> Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
> OK, I'll tell you anyway: Go to "Settings" -> "Configure Kmail…" -> "E-
> Mail-Editor" (or is that "Composer"?) -> "Standard Templates". Click on
> the vertical tab (or whatever it is called) "Reply to All / Reply to
> List" and move the "%CURSOR" to the end.

This is kde-4.4.5 yet.

Two more questions in re kmail reply formatting:

How does one get the %DATE and %TIME macros to return in UTC ?

And what is the macro's %name to put the senders name in the greeting line?

> Nils

Thanks Nils.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 PM
Nils Kassube

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Two more questions in re kmail reply formatting:
>
> How does one get the %DATE and %TIME macros to return in UTC ?

Set your time zone to UTC? Actually I'm not aware of a macro for that.

> And what is the macro's %name to put the senders name in the greeting
> line?

It is %OFROMNAME (if I understand you right). You can select available
macros from a list labled "Insert Command" below the vertical tabs on
the standard templates page.

Nils

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
>
> > OK, I'll tell you anyway: Go to "Settings" -> "Configure Kmail…"
> > -> "E- Mail-Editor" (or is that "Composer"?) -> "Standard
> > Templates". Click on the vertical tab (or whatever it is
> > called) "Reply to All / Reply to List" and move the "%CURSOR"
> > to the end.
>
> This is kde-4.4.5 yet.
>
> Two more questions in re kmail reply formatting:
>
> How does one get the %DATE and %TIME macros to return in UTC ?

One doesn't, however, you can write a script that does and call it
using %MSGPIPE=""

> And what is the macro's %name to put the senders name in the
> greeting line?

You mean "%OFROMNAME"?

--Reinhold

Old 07-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:16 am Nils Kassube did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Two more questions in re kmail reply formatting:
> >
> > How does one get the %DATE and %TIME macros to return in UTC ?
>
> Set your time zone to UTC? Actually I'm not aware of a macro for that.

Someone has it, t-bird maybe?, I get msgs showing it like this

21:47 -5:00

so it gives local time, then the UTC offset. But that is not the usual, it
just impressed me with the preciseness when I saw it. Here on the net, one
never knows what time it may be, or have been, at the other end of the msg.

> > And what is the macro's %name to put the senders name in the greeting
> > line?
>
> It is %OFROMNAME (if I understand you right). You can select available
> macros from a list labled "Insert Command" below the vertical tabs on
> the standard templates page.

And I'm an idiot, the 'insert command' button I missed, I was expecting a
drag & drop from the left window when there was one. Doh! Now I can quit
guessing.

Thank you very much, Nils.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-17-2010, 02:35 PM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:34 am Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > OK, I'll tell you anyway: Go to "Settings" -> "Configure Kmail…"
> > > -> "E- Mail-Editor" (or is that "Composer"?) -> "Standard
> > > Templates". Click on the vertical tab (or whatever it is
> > > called) "Reply to All / Reply to List" and move the "%CURSOR"
> > > to the end.
> >
> > This is kde-4.4.5 yet.
> >
> > Two more questions in re kmail reply formatting:
> >
> > How does one get the %DATE and %TIME macros to return in UTC ?
>
> One doesn't, however, you can write a script that does and call it
> using %MSGPIPE=""
>
> > And what is the macro's %name to put the senders name in the
> > greeting line?
>
> You mean "%OFROMNAME"?
>
> --Reinhold

Thanks Reinhold. I am an idiot. I found all that with a bit of help from
Nils.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> 21:47 -5:00
>
> so it gives local time, then the UTC offset. But that is not the
> usual, it just impressed me with the preciseness when I saw it.
> Here on the net, one never knows what time it may be, or have
> been, at the other end of the msg.

The date line of an email's header is standardised. I don't recall
the RFC's number, but I'm sure it isn't hard to find (wikipedia
probably links to it).
Anyhow, you can do what I suggested and write a script that extracts
the Date line and applies the UTC offset - it shouldn't be too
difficult.

--Reinhold

Old 07-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 02:11:11 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > 21:47 -5:00
[...]
> The date line of an email's header is standardised. I don't recall
> the RFC's number, but I'm sure it isn't hard to find (wikipedia
> probably links to it).
> Anyhow, you can do what I suggested and write a script that extracts
> the Date line and applies the UTC offset - it shouldn't be too
> difficult.
>
> --Reinhold

I wasn't thinking of the header, but the greeting line as the first line of
the reply's message body, as above.

Thanks Reinhold.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2010 02:11:11 pm Reinhold Rumberger did
opine:
> > On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > 21:47 -5:00
>
> [...]
>
> > The date line of an email's header is standardised. I don't
> > recall the RFC's number, but I'm sure it isn't hard to find
> > (wikipedia probably links to it).
> > Anyhow, you can do what I suggested and write a script that
> > extracts the Date line and applies the UTC offset - it
> > shouldn't be too difficult.
> >
> > --Reinhold
>
> I wasn't thinking of the header, but the greeting line as the
> first line of the reply's message body, as above.

There's a macro that will pass the contents of a message to a script
(%MSGPIPE=""). You can use that script to extract the header and
output it after adjusting it. The output of the script will be
inserted at the position of the macro, making it possible to always
insert UTC.

--Reinhold

Old 07-17-2010, 06:51 PM
Gene Heskett

On Saturday, July 17, 2010 02:45:01 pm Reinhold Rumberger did opine:

> On Saturday 17 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday, July 17, 2010 02:11:11 pm Reinhold Rumberger did
>
> opine:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > The date line of an email's header is standardised. I don't
> > > recall the RFC's number, but I'm sure it isn't hard to find
> > > (wikipedia probably links to it).
> > > Anyhow, you can do what I suggested and write a script that
> > > extracts the Date line and applies the UTC offset - it
> > > shouldn't be too difficult.
> > >
> > > --Reinhold
> >
> > I wasn't thinking of the header, but the greeting line as the
> > first line of the reply's message body, as above.
>
> There's a macro that will pass the contents of a message to a script
> (%MSGPIPE=""). You can use that script to extract the header and
> output it after adjusting it. The output of the script will be
> inserted at the position of the macro, making it possible to always
> insert UTC.
>
> --Reinhold

Humm, or since the time returned now is local time, I could just add a
"(TZ=-5:00 for UTC)" for the time zone here, which I believe would
essentially convey the idea. I'll give that a shot as it seems easier than
writing a script to do it, to me anyway.

Thanks Reinhold, and with that I am back to making post holes.
Later ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)