Old 07-15-2010, 04:21 PM
Gene Heskett

Default kmail lock file problems

Greetings all;

A fresh pclinuxos-2010-7 install here, which is apt based. This includes
kde-4.4.5. PCLinuxOS doesn't have a mailing list, just a forum, and in
about 24 hours, 2 posts on 2 subjects have not generated an answer on their
forum. So here I am, hat in hand.

I have a wierd message in the bottom of the kmail frame when it tries to
access the local mail-file /var/spool/mail/gene.

Transmission failed: Could not lock /var/spool/mail/gene.

This file is being fed from a chain starting with fetchmail, using procmail
as the MDA, going through spamassassin for most msgs before the message gets
appended to the above file.

kmail thinks procmail is using a /dev/null for lockfile, so that is the
first puzzle, and I can change it all I want but the next time I look, its
/dev/null again. That may be problem #1, but I don't have any lockfiles
setup in my procmail recipes, and haven't needed them in the 5 or 6 years I
have been doing my mail fetching this way.

I found that if _I_ touched /var/spool/mail/gene.lock, it will work, but
then deletes it after it parses the mail file once. Then the next time
kmail goes to get the mail, it fails, reporting the above error again.

I even put a pre-command in the profile to have kmail touch the lock file,
and that at least puts the gene.lock lockfile in place, but it doesn't make
any diff to kmail, same error message. However, that does prevent procmail
from appending to the mail-file. So as soon as I deleted it, the file grew
20k.

Is this a known kmail-1.13-5 bug? It sure is a PIMA. :-

Thanks folks.

Cheers, Gene (I have got to get my sig generator working)

Old 07-15-2010, 04:33 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 15 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> A fresh pclinuxos-2010-7 install here, which is apt based. This
> includes kde-4.4.5. PCLinuxOS doesn't have a mailing list, just
> a forum, and in about 24 hours, 2 posts on 2 subjects have not
> generated an answer on their forum. So here I am, hat in hand.
>
> I have a wierd message in the bottom of the kmail frame when it
> tries to access the local mail-file /var/spool/mail/gene.
>
> Transmission failed: Could not lock /var/spool/mail/gene.
>
> This file is being fed from a chain starting with fetchmail, using
> procmail as the MDA, going through spamassassin for most msgs
> before the message gets appended to the above file.
>
> kmail thinks procmail is using a /dev/null for lockfile, so that
> is the first puzzle, and I can change it all I want but the next
> time I look, its /dev/null again. That may be problem #1, but I
> don't have any lockfiles setup in my procmail recipes, and
> haven't needed them in the 5 or 6 years I have been doing my mail
> fetching this way.
>
> I found that if _I_ touched /var/spool/mail/gene.lock, it will
> work, but then deletes it after it parses the mail file once.
> Then the next time kmail goes to get the mail, it fails,
> reporting the above error again.
>
> I even put a pre-command in the profile to have kmail touch the
> lock file, and that at least puts the gene.lock lockfile in
> place, but it doesn't make any diff to kmail, same error message.
> However, that does prevent procmail from appending to the
> mail-file. So as soon as I deleted it, the file grew 20k.
>
> Is this a known kmail-1.13-5 bug? It sure is a PIMA. :-
>
> Thanks folks.
>
> Cheers, Gene (I have got to get my sig generator working)

Due to time constraints I didn't completely and thoroughly read your
whole email.

I personally have postfix do the delivering into /var/spool/mail, so
my solution may not be applicable for your procmail solution.
However, you may want to check ~/.xsession-error or whatever
PCLinuxOS uses for error messages, as they will provide a useful hint
IIRC. Alternatively you might use the FCNTL method, which works for
me...

--Reinhold

Old 07-15-2010, 08:49 PM
Gene Heskett

> On Thursday 15 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > A fresh pclinuxos-2010-7 install here, which is apt based. This
> > includes kde-4.4.5. PCLinuxOS doesn't have a mailing list, just
> > a forum, and in about 24 hours, 2 posts on 2 subjects have not
> > generated an answer on their forum. So here I am, hat in hand.
> >
> > I have a wierd message in the bottom of the kmail frame when it
> > tries to access the local mail-file /var/spool/mail/gene.
> >
> > Transmission failed: Could not lock /var/spool/mail/gene.
> >
> > This file is being fed from a chain starting with fetchmail, using
> > procmail as the MDA, going through spamassassin for most msgs
> > before the message gets appended to the above file.
> >
> > kmail thinks procmail is using a /dev/null for lockfile, so that
> > is the first puzzle, and I can change it all I want but the next
> > time I look, its /dev/null again. That may be problem #1, but I
> > don't have any lockfiles setup in my procmail recipes, and
> > haven't needed them in the 5 or 6 years I have been doing my mail
> > fetching this way.
> >
> > I found that if _I_ touched /var/spool/mail/gene.lock, it will
> > work, but then deletes it after it parses the mail file once.
> > Then the next time kmail goes to get the mail, it fails,
> > reporting the above error again.
> >
> > I even put a pre-command in the profile to have kmail touch the
> > lock file, and that at least puts the gene.lock lockfile in
> > place, but it doesn't make any diff to kmail, same error message.
> >
> > However, that does prevent procmail from appending to the
> >
> > mail-file. So as soon as I deleted it, the file grew 20k.
> >
> > Is this a known kmail-1.13-5 bug? It sure is a PIMA. :-
> >
> > Thanks folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene (I have got to get my sig generator working)
>
> Due to time constraints I didn't completely and thoroughly read your
> whole email.
>
> I personally have postfix do the delivering into /var/spool/mail, so
> my solution may not be applicable for your procmail solution.
> However, you may want to check ~/.xsession-error or whatever
> PCLinuxOS uses for error messages, as they will provide a useful hint
> IIRC. Alternatively you might use the FCNTL method, which works for
> me...
>
> --Reinhold

I'll give that shot for grins, thanks Reinhold. Its back hung at the
moment. I have about 750k in the mailfile kmail can't get a lock on to
read.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Gene Heskett

> On Thursday 15 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > A fresh pclinuxos-2010-7 install here, which is apt based. This
> > includes kde-4.4.5. PCLinuxOS doesn't have a mailing list, just
> > a forum, and in about 24 hours, 2 posts on 2 subjects have not
> > generated an answer on their forum. So here I am, hat in hand.
> >
> > I have a wierd message in the bottom of the kmail frame when it
> > tries to access the local mail-file /var/spool/mail/gene.
> >
> > Transmission failed: Could not lock /var/spool/mail/gene.
> >
> > This file is being fed from a chain starting with fetchmail, using
> > procmail as the MDA, going through spamassassin for most msgs
> > before the message gets appended to the above file.
> >
> > kmail thinks procmail is using a /dev/null for lockfile, so that
> > is the first puzzle, and I can change it all I want but the next
> > time I look, its /dev/null again. That may be problem #1, but I
> > don't have any lockfiles setup in my procmail recipes, and
> > haven't needed them in the 5 or 6 years I have been doing my mail
> > fetching this way.
> >
> > I found that if _I_ touched /var/spool/mail/gene.lock, it will
> > work, but then deletes it after it parses the mail file once.
> > Then the next time kmail goes to get the mail, it fails,
> > reporting the above error again.
> >
> > I even put a pre-command in the profile to have kmail touch the
> > lock file, and that at least puts the gene.lock lockfile in
> > place, but it doesn't make any diff to kmail, same error message.
> >
> > However, that does prevent procmail from appending to the
> >
> > mail-file. So as soon as I deleted it, the file grew 20k.
> >
> > Is this a known kmail-1.13-5 bug? It sure is a PIMA. :-
> >
> > Thanks folks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene (I have got to get my sig generator working)
>
> Due to time constraints I didn't completely and thoroughly read your
> whole email.
>
> I personally have postfix do the delivering into /var/spool/mail, so
> my solution may not be applicable for your procmail solution.
> However, you may want to check ~/.xsession-error or whatever
> PCLinuxOS uses for error messages, as they will provide a useful hint
> IIRC. Alternatively you might use the FCNTL method, which works for
> me...

And FCNTL works, thanks a bunch, Reinhold.

> --Reinhold

Now I need to get my sig generator working.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 15 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Thursday 15 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I personally have postfix do the delivering into
> > /var/spool/mail, so my solution may not be applicable for your
> > procmail solution. However, you may want to check
> > ~/.xsession-error

That should've read ~/.xsession-errors

> > or whatever PCLinuxOS uses for error
> > messages, as they will provide a useful hint IIRC.
> > Alternatively you might use the FCNTL method, which works for
> > me...
>
> And FCNTL works, thanks a bunch, Reinhold.

You're welcome.
I've had time to do a little research into this, and according to
man 1 procmail, FCNTL is actually used by procmail, so using it won't
result in message loss/duplication.

> > --Reinhold
>
> Now I need to get my sig generator working.

I would've thought that was pretty easy using kmail? Although I don't
like using it since I want to alter my sig depending on the type of
email I write, not the identity I happen to be using...
Text snippets are pretty nice for that.

--Reinhold

Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Gene Heskett

> On Thursday 15 July 2010, Gene Heskett wrote:
[...]
> > And FCNTL works, thanks a bunch, Reinhold.
>
> You're welcome.
> I've had time to do a little research into this, and according to
> man 1 procmail, FCNTL is actually used by procmail, so using it won't
> result in message loss/duplication.

Humm, my manpage doesn't seem to say that. But I see you spec'd it as man
1 procmail. By golly, I did find it:

Whenever procmail itself opens a file to deliver to, it consistently uses
the following kernel locking strategies :
fcntl(2).

That line needs a few CAPS to shout at the user. ;-)

> > > --Reinhold
> >
> > Now I need to get my sig generator working.
>
> I would've thought that was pretty easy using kmail? Although I don't
> like using it since I want to alter my sig depending on the type of
> email I write, not the identity I happen to be using...
> Text snippets are pretty nice for that.
>
> --Reinhold

Now it is working, the first part is fixed, the part below is from fortune.
The whole thing is a 3 line script run by cron at 5 minute intervals.

Now, one last question someone might be able to help, it seems kmail has
joined the dark side, the cursor in the composer is now above the quoted
text by default, forcing me to scroll to the bottom of the quote or be
accused of top posting. I haven't found a place in the configs where that
might be controlled. Does anyone know where that might be set?

Thanks again Reinhold.

I am 'getting there', but also have a life of sorts like most, and much of
my time the last 3 weeks seems to be spent in trying to clean up after some
112 mph winds tried to change the zip code by moving Smith Village across
the river to Deanville. Out of 5 older trees we had, one 30 year old pine
and a 22 year old Pin Oak survived. Our roof didn't, took a goodly patch
of shingles away, along with the tv antenna. If I wasn't gettin on (75) as
they say, the cleanup & rebuilding would go a little faster, but cooler
weather would help, it was into the 90's(F) here for a couple of weeks now.

There is humor though, that Pin Oak is a good shade tree, and the neighbors
have instructed me to make a bar around the trunk, and some park benches
too, as its the only shade tree in the neighborhood that survived. ;-)
--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)