Old 07-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Billie Walsh

Default NVIDIA Driver Install

I went to the NVIDIA web page and downloaded the most current driver for
my computer. It's a ".run" file that, as far as i can tell from my
reading, supposed to be executable in terminal.

The file name is:

"NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run".

The instructions read:

"Installation instructions: Once you have downloaded the driver, change
to the directory containing the driver package and install the driver by
running, as root, sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35-pkg2.run". I have to edit
the instruction to reflect the actual file name,
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run.

The file is in my "Downloads" directory so I used Dolphin to open the
directory and then open a terminal in that directory. I checked the "Is
Executable" box in the permissions also. When I try to execute the file
I get an error message that says I'm running "x server", whatever that
is, and I should exit before running the file. I'm not sure what it
means [ OK, I'm a dummy ]. Does that mean that somehow I need to boot
into command line and run it somehow from there?

I looked with Synaptic and Kpackagekit but couldn't tell if this version
of the driver is available on the repos.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:48 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Thursday, July 15, 2010, Billie Walsh wrote:
> "Installation instructions: Once you have downloaded the driver, change
> to the directory containing the driver package and install the driver by
> running, as root, sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35-pkg2.run". I have to edit
> the instruction to reflect the actual file name,
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run.
>
> The file is in my "Downloads" directory so I used Dolphin to open the
> directory and then open a terminal in that directory. I checked the "Is
> Executable" box in the permissions also. When I try to execute the file
> I get an error message that says I'm running "x server", whatever that
> is, and I should exit before running the file. I'm not sure what it
> means [ OK, I'm a dummy ]. Does that mean that somehow I need to boot
> into command line and run it somehow from there?

You really can't update or change a video driver while you are currently
running a video driver. That's what you were trying to do.

The "x server" is the video package that runs your desktop video and it will
use a video driver that works with whatever video card you have.

What you need to do is to run the .run from a stand-alone terminal session.
This can be done by using:

ctl-alt-<f-key> as in ctl-alt-f3

and that will get you to a REAL terminal session.

Then:

/etc/init.d/kdm stop (assuming your running kdm)

(or gdm if the above doesn't seem to work)

and then run your .run file. To run the file, you will have to give it
execution flags as in chmod +x <path to .run file>/<name of .run file>

but it might also work if you just issue: sh <path to .run file>/<name of
.run file>

Those are the basics.

When you've done all that successfully, then:

/etc/init.d/kdm start

Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 12:48 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Thursday, July 15, 2010, Billie Walsh wrote:
> > "Installation instructions: Once you have downloaded the driver, change
> > to the directory containing the driver package and install the driver by
> > running, as root, sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35-pkg2.run". I have to edit
> > the instruction to reflect the actual file name,
> > NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run.
> >
> > The file is in my "Downloads" directory so I used Dolphin to open the
> > directory and then open a terminal in that directory. I checked the "Is
> > Executable" box in the permissions also. When I try to execute the file
> > I get an error message that says I'm running "x server", whatever that
> > is, and I should exit before running the file. I'm not sure what it
> > means [ OK, I'm a dummy ]. Does that mean that somehow I need to boot
> > into command line and run it somehow from there?
>
> You really can't update or change a video driver while you are currently
> running a video driver. That's what you were trying to do.
>
> The "x server" is the video package that runs your desktop video and it will
> use a video driver that works with whatever video card you have.
>
> What you need to do is to run the .run from a stand-alone terminal session.
> This can be done by using:
>
> ctl-alt-<f-key> as in ctl-alt-f3
>
> and that will get you to a REAL terminal session.
>
> Then:
>
> /etc/init.d/kdm stop (assuming your running kdm)
>
> (or gdm if the above doesn't seem to work)
>
> and then run your .run file. To run the file, you will have to give it
> execution flags as in chmod +x <path to .run file>/<name of .run file>
>
> but it might also work if you just issue: sh <path to .run file>/<name of
> .run file>
>
> Those are the basics.
>
> When you've done all that successfully, then:
>
> /etc/init.d/kdm start

I did that for years. But, system/hardware_drivers did the trick for me.
Then you don't have anything floating loose from outside the "standard"
install. The less I dink with my system, the better off I am. Ric

Old 07-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Billie Walsh

On 07/15/2010 01:58 PM, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 12:48 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, July 15, 2010, Billie Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> "Installation instructions: Once you have downloaded the driver, change
>>> to the directory containing the driver package and install the driver by
>>> running, as root, sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-256.35-pkg2.run". I have to edit
>>> the instruction to reflect the actual file name,
>>> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-256.35.run.
>>>
>>> The file is in my "Downloads" directory so I used Dolphin to open the
>>> directory and then open a terminal in that directory. I checked the "Is
>>> Executable" box in the permissions also. When I try to execute the file
>>> I get an error message that says I'm running "x server", whatever that
>>> is, and I should exit before running the file. I'm not sure what it
>>> means [ OK, I'm a dummy ]. Does that mean that somehow I need to boot
>>> into command line and run it somehow from there?
>>>
>> You really can't update or change a video driver while you are currently
>> running a video driver. That's what you were trying to do.
>>
>> The "x server" is the video package that runs your desktop video and it will
>> use a video driver that works with whatever video card you have.
>>
>> What you need to do is to run the .run from a stand-alone terminal session.
>> This can be done by using:
>>
>> ctl-alt-<f-key> as in ctl-alt-f3
>>
>> and that will get you to a REAL terminal session.
>>
>> Then:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/kdm stop (assuming your running kdm)
>>
>> (or gdm if the above doesn't seem to work)
>>
>> and then run your .run file. To run the file, you will have to give it
>> execution flags as in chmod +x<path to .run file>/<name of .run file>
>>
>> but it might also work if you just issue: sh<path to .run file>/<name of
>> .run file>
>>
>> Those are the basics.
>>
>> When you've done all that successfully, then:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/kdm start
>>
> I did that for years. But, system/hardware_drivers did the trick for me.
> Then you don't have anything floating loose from outside the "standard"
> install. The less I dink with my system, the better off I am. Ric

Gee whiz, why would anyone look for an easy way to do something when
there's a hard way. *<]D

That was just almost to easy.

Thanks Bruce and Ric.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 16:51 -0500, Billie Walsh wrote:
> On 07/15/2010 01:58 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> >> You really can't update or change a video driver while you are currently
> >> running a video driver. That's what you were trying to do.
> >>
> >> The "x server" is the video package that runs your desktop video and it will
> >> use a video driver that works with whatever video card you have.
> >>
> >> What you need to do is to run the .run from a stand-alone terminal session.
> >> This can be done by using:
> >>
> >> ctl-alt-<f-key> as in ctl-alt-f3
> >>
> >> and that will get you to a REAL terminal session.
> >>
> >> Then:
> >>
> >> /etc/init.d/kdm stop (assuming your running kdm)
> >>
> >> (or gdm if the above doesn't seem to work)
> >>
> >> and then run your .run file. To run the file, you will have to give it
> >> execution flags as in chmod +x<path to .run file>/<name of .run file>
> >>
> >> but it might also work if you just issue: sh<path to .run file>/<name of
> >> .run file>
> >>
> >> Those are the basics.
> >>
> >> When you've done all that successfully, then:
> >>
> >> /etc/init.d/kdm start
> >>
> > I did that for years. But, system/hardware_drivers did the trick for me.
> > Then you don't have anything floating loose from outside the "standard"
> > install. The less I dink with my system, the better off I am. Ric
> >

> Gee whiz, why would anyone look for an easy way to do something when
> there's a hard way. *<]D
>
> That was just almost to easy.
>
> Thanks Bruce and Ric.

<bings happy> Ric