FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Kubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Michael Bona
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

Hi everyone,

I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.

I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean is
that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels, icons,
widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard desktop a new
user might see.

This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04 (I
think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after a cold
reset (push the reset button).

Since setting up everything again is a real pain, can anyone help me
a) preventing this from happening a or
b) backing up my configured desktop so that I can simply re-create my
configuration by copying a few files.

Any help greatly appreciated!
Michael



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Valter Mura
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

In data mercoledž 14 luglio 2010 14:21:44, Michael Bona ha scritto:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
>
> I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean is
> that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels, icons,
> widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard desktop a new
> user might see.
>
> This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04 (I
> think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after a cold
> reset (push the reset button).
>
> Since setting up everything again is a real pain, can anyone help me
> a) preventing this from happening a or
> b) backing up my configured desktop so that I can simply re-create my
> configuration by copying a few files.

Myabe you have more than one panel active.

In this case, you see the default one and not the customized.

Check it in edit mode (bottom right next to the systray)

--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410 http://counter.li.org
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org
OpenOffice: www.openoffice.org

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Michael Bona
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

Valter Mura wrote:

> In data mercoledž 14 luglio 2010 14:21:44, Michael Bona ha scritto:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
>>
>> I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean
is
>> that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels,
icons,
>> widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard desktop a new
>> user might see.
>>
>> This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04
(I
>> think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after a
cold
>> reset (push the reset button).
>>
>> Since setting up everything again is a real pain, can anyone help
me
>> a) preventing this from happening a or
>> b) backing up my configured desktop so that I can simply re-create
my
>> configuration by copying a few files.
>
> Myabe you have more than one panel active.
>
> In this case, you see the default one and not the customized.
>
> Check it in edit mode (bottom right next to the systray)
>

Thanks, but that's not it (I checked). Also, it does not also affect
one single panel but background picture, widgets on desktop etc.

Michael


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Valter Mura
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

In data mercoledž 14 luglio 2010 15:01:43, Michael Bona ha scritto:

> >
> > Myabe you have more than one panel active.
> >
> > In this case, you see the default one and not the customized.
> >
> > Check it in edit mode (bottom right next to the systray)
>
> Thanks, but that's not it (I checked). Also, it does not also affect
> one single panel but background picture, widgets on desktop etc.
>

Have you tried in right click on Desktop > Desktop Activity Settings? Maybe
you can find something there.

--
Valter
Registered Linux User #466410 http://counter.li.org
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org
OpenOffice: www.openoffice.org

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Reinhold Rumberger
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

On Wednesday 14 July 2010, Michael Bona wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
>
> I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean
> is that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels,
> icons, widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard
> desktop a new user might see.
>
> This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04
> (I think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after
> a cold reset (push the reset button).

Have you ever considered a backup? From this description, it seems
like the config files were corrupted which can happen after a dirty
shutdown or when you run out of disk space...

--Reinhold

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Michael Bona
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 July 2010, Michael Bona wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
>>
>> I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean
>> is that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels,
>> icons, widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard
>> desktop a new user might see.
>>
>> This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04
>> (I think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after
>> a cold reset (push the reset button).
>
> Have you ever considered a backup? From this description, it seems
> like the config files were corrupted which can happen after a dirty
> shutdown or when you run out of disk space...
>
> --Reinhold

Well yes, but a full / backup restore should not be necessary to
restore desktop settings? Which is why I asked if someone could help
me by pointing to the relevant config files.

Michel



--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Michael Bona
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

Valter Mura wrote:

> In data mercoledž 14 luglio 2010 15:01:43, Michael Bona ha scritto:
>
>> >
>> > Myabe you have more than one panel active.
>> >
>> > In this case, you see the default one and not the customized.
>> >
>> > Check it in edit mode (bottom right next to the systray)
>>
>> Thanks, but that's not it (I checked). Also, it does not also
affect
>> one single panel but background picture, widgets on desktop etc.
>>
>
> Have you tried in right click on Desktop > Desktop Activity
Settings?
> Maybe you can find something there.
>

Yes, that's the first thing Google pointed my too. However, I only
have one activity defined ...


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Myriam Schweingruber
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

Hi Michael,

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 14:21, Michael Bona <mbona@web.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
>
> I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean is
> that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels, icons,
> widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard desktop a new
> user might see.
>
> This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04 (I
> think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after a cold
> reset (push the reset button).

I had this quite recently when upgrading to KDE SC 4.5 RC on Kubuntu
0.04. What solved my issue was to exit KDE and remove all plasma
configuration files in $HOME/.kde/share/config/ in a command line
session (which you can open with Ctrl+Alt+F1). You can then return in
the X session (which is on Ctrl+Alt+F7) and restart KDE. Of course you
will have to do your settings again, but those should now be saved
when you exit KDE next time.

Hope this helps.


Regards, Myriam
--
Protect your freedom and join the Fellowship of FSFE:
http://www.fsfe.org
Please don't send me proprietary file formats,
use ISO standard ODF instead (ISO/IEC 26300)

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 06:02 PM
"Joe(theWordy)Philbrook"
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

It would appear that on Jul 14, Myriam Schweingruber did say:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 14:21, Michael Bona <mbona@web.de> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
> >
> > I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I mean is
> > that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my panels, icons,
> > widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the standard desktop a new
> > user might see.
> >
> > This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to 9.04 (I
> > think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the first after a cold
> > reset (push the reset button).
>
> I had this quite recently when upgrading to KDE SC 4.5 RC on Kubuntu
> 0.04. What solved my issue was to exit KDE and remove all plasma
> configuration files in $HOME/.kde/share/config/ in a command line
> session (which you can open with Ctrl+Alt+F1). You can then return in
> the X session (which is on Ctrl+Alt+F7) and restart KDE. Of course you
> will have to do your settings again, but those should now be saved
> when you exit KDE next time.

If you'll try an idea from a FORMER kde user...
{I USED to use kde exclusively, But kde4 chased me into
the arms of other desktops <E16, e17, & xfce (Xubuntu)}
But I still lurk here and occasionally speak up.

Anyway On some of the distributions I've use I've had a similar problem with
e17 losing all my user preferences. I found that by making a backup of
~/.e17 I could restore the backup of that directory tree to get my settings
back.

Would it not work to do something like:

exit kde
cd
cp -R .kde .kde_BU

(and possibly I think I remember a .kde4 dir?)
cp -R .kde4 .kde4_BU

Then the next time Your settings get lost...

exit kde
cd
cp -R .kde_BU

(and if applicable)
cp -R .ked4_BU .kde4

By backing up the entire kde directory structure you'd pretty much have to
include the config files involved...

Of course if you use this method you need to remember to redo the backup
every time you change the slightest kde setting or you risk losing the
changes upon restoring the old settings.

Hope this helps!

--
| --- ___
| <0> <-> Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
| ^ J(tWdy)P
| ~\___/~ <<jtwdyp@ttlc.net>>


--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 
Old 07-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Reinhold Rumberger
 
Default Desktop settings and configuration disappeared (repeatedly)

On Wednesday 14 July 2010, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook wrote:
> It would appear that on Jul 14, Myriam Schweingruber did say:
> > On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 14:21, Michael Bona <mbona@web.de> wrote:
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I am using Kubuntu 10.04 with KDE 4.4.2.
> > >
> > > I have just had my desktop settings disappear (again). What I
> > > mean is that after logging in I do not see me desktop with my
> > > panels, icons, widgets etc. as set up by ME but rather the
> > > standard desktop a new user might see.
> > >
> > > This first happened after a distribution update from 8.10 to
> > > 9.04 (I think) then again on 9.10 to 10.04 and now for the
> > > first after a cold reset (push the reset button).
> >
> > I had this quite recently when upgrading to KDE SC 4.5 RC on
> > Kubuntu 0.04. What solved my issue was to exit KDE and remove
> > all plasma configuration files in $HOME/.kde/share/config/ in a
> > command line session (which you can open with Ctrl+Alt+F1). You
> > can then return in the X session (which is on Ctrl+Alt+F7) and
> > restart KDE. Of course you will have to do your settings again,
> > but those should now be saved when you exit KDE next time.
>
> If you'll try an idea from a FORMER kde user...
> {I USED to use kde exclusively, But kde4 chased me into
> the arms of other desktops <E16, e17, & xfce (Xubuntu)}
> But I still lurk here and occasionally speak up.
>
> Anyway On some of the distributions I've use I've had a similar
> problem with e17 losing all my user preferences. I found that by
> making a backup of ~/.e17 I could restore the backup of that
> directory tree to get my settings back.

<snip>

> By backing up the entire kde directory structure you'd pretty much
> have to include the config files involved...

You'd also include a lot of application state in your backup, so that
wouldn't be very wise. Myriam already mentioned the only directory
that needs to be restored: ~/.kde/share/config

> Of course if you use this method you need to remember to redo the
> backup every time you change the slightest kde setting or you
> risk losing the changes upon restoring the old settings.

Yeah, well, you should do regular backups, anyway, and if they are
frequent enough (mine are two days apart), you won't have to redo
much unless you make major changes to your configs.

--Reinhold

--
kubuntu-users mailing list
kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org