Old 07-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Nigel Ridley

Default /tmp full

Running Karmic.

My wife and our 3 girls share a laptop. They treat it like their cupboards and just keep stuffing
more and more files in it. So now nobody can log in as, after entering username/password there is
just a thin little window error message:

Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exist with an error
okay

Clicking on 'okay' takes me back to the KDE login screen.

I can use Alt Ctrl F1 and am comfortable using the cmd line but the girls have a [bad] habit of
using spaces and illegal characters in their file and folder names. Also they have named a lot of
them in Hebrew which just shows up as small diamonds instead of normal [Hebrew] characters.

How can I free up enough space so that we can get back into the GUI and start deleting these
illegally named files and folders?

Nigel

Old 07-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Nigel Ridley

On 07/10/2010 12:29 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> Running Karmic.
>
> My wife and our 3 girls share a laptop. They treat it like their cupboards and just keep stuffing
> more and more files in it. So now nobody can log in as, after entering username/password there is
> just a thin little window error message:
>
> Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exist with an error
> okay
>
> Clicking on 'okay' takes me back to the KDE login screen.
>
> I can use Alt Ctrl F1 and am comfortable using the cmd line but the girls have a [bad] habit of
> using spaces and illegal characters in their file and folder names. Also they have named a lot of
> them in Hebrew which just shows up as small diamonds instead of normal [Hebrew] characters.
>
> How can I free up enough space so that we can get back into the GUI and start deleting these
> illegally named files and folders?
>
> Nigel

OK! I managed it from the cmd line:

sudo rm -r /home/username/.thumbnails

I did it for all the users on the laptop and now we can log in :-)
Then I told them to get some 'housekeeping' done!!

Nigel

Old 07-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Saturday 10 July 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> On 07/10/2010 12:29 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > Running Karmic.
> >
> > My wife and our 3 girls share a laptop. They treat it like their
> > cupboards and just keep stuffing more and more files in it. So
> > now nobody can log in as, after entering username/password
> > there is just a thin little window error message:
> >
> > Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exist
> > with an error okay
> >
> > Clicking on 'okay' takes me back to the KDE login screen.
> >
> > I can use Alt Ctrl F1 and am comfortable using the cmd line but
> > the girls have a [bad] habit of using spaces and illegal
> > characters in their file and folder names. Also they have named
> > a lot of them in Hebrew which just shows up as small diamonds
> > instead of normal [Hebrew] characters.
> >
> > How can I free up enough space so that we can get back into the
> > GUI and start deleting these illegally named files and folders?
> >
> > Nigel
>
> OK! I managed it from the cmd line:
>
> sudo rm -r /home/username/.thumbnails
>
> I did it for all the users on the laptop and now we can log in :-)
> Then I told them to get some 'housekeeping' done!!

You may also want to consider installing mc, that way you can just
simply select those files instead of having to enter their names...

--Reinhold

Old 07-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Mark Greenwood

On Saturday 10 Jul 2010 11:03:59 Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Saturday 10 July 2010, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > On 07/10/2010 12:29 PM, Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > > Running Karmic.
> > >
> > > My wife and our 3 girls share a laptop. They treat it like their
> > > cupboards and just keep stuffing more and more files in it. So
> > > now nobody can log in as, after entering username/password
> > > there is just a thin little window error message:
> > >
> > > Xsession: warning: unable to write to /tmp; X session may exist
> > > with an error okay
> > >
> > > Clicking on 'okay' takes me back to the KDE login screen.
> > >
> > > I can use Alt Ctrl F1 and am comfortable using the cmd line but
> > > the girls have a [bad] habit of using spaces and illegal
> > > characters in their file and folder names. Also they have named
> > > a lot of them in Hebrew which just shows up as small diamonds
> > > instead of normal [Hebrew] characters.
> > >
> > > How can I free up enough space so that we can get back into the
> > > GUI and start deleting these illegally named files and folders?
> > >
> > > Nigel
> >
> > OK! I managed it from the cmd line:
> >
> > sudo rm -r /home/username/.thumbnails
> >
> > I did it for all the users on the laptop and now we can log in :-)
> > Then I told them to get some 'housekeeping' done!!
>
> You may also want to consider installing mc, that way you can just
> simply select those files instead of having to enter their names...
>
> --Reinhold

There's also a grub option (I think) which will automatically empty /tmp at boot - although it seems that it wasn't in fact /tmp in your case... :-)

Mark

Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 AM
Chris Jones

> There's also a grub option (I think) which will automatically empty /tmp at boot - although it seems that it wasn't in fact /tmp in your case... :-)

Yes. If /tmp and /home are on the same partition, it doesn't matter which one filled up ... It sounds like the users filled up / by stuffing files in their /home/XYZ areas. The message about /tmp just happened to be the first thing to complain.

How about turning on user quotas ? Then at least if one of them do it again, it won't affect the other users.

cheers Chris

Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
William Hamra

On 10 July 2010 13:24, Chris Jones <christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:

>> There's also a grub option (I think) which will automatically empty /tmp at boot - although it seems that it wasn't in fact /tmp in your case... :-)
>
> Yes. If /tmp and /home are on the same partition, it doesn't matter which one filled up ... It sounds like the users filled up / by stuffing files in their /home/XYZ areas. The message about /tmp just happened to be the first thing to complain.
>
> How about turning on user quotas ? Then at least if one of them do it again, it won't affect the other users.
>
> cheers Chris

YES! quotas are wonderful. my sisters dont realize ust how much video
files can take... and keep shooting videos and loading them to their
home, plus... it seems they think my computer is the neighbourhood's
central storage, loading everything found on neighbours' cameras when
visiting us....
needless to say, my home partition was in a sad state, i sweeped it,
deleted everything that's not theirs, and employed quotas... for
once... they are finally *thinking* before downloading something, and
considering what's really needed and what's not... :-)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Old 07-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Nigel Ridley

On 07/10/2010 01:24 PM, Chris Jones wrote:

>> There's also a grub option (I think) which will automatically empty /tmp at boot - although it seems that it wasn't in fact /tmp in your case... :-)
>
> Yes. If /tmp and /home are on the same partition, it doesn't matter which one filled up ... It sounds like the users filled up / by stuffing files in their /home/XYZ areas. The message about /tmp just happened to be the first thing to complain.
>
> How about turning on user quotas ? Then at least if one of them do it again, it won't affect the other users.
>
> cheers Chris

So how does one set up 'quotas'?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Chris Jones

> So how does one set up 'quotas'?

Tty typing "ubuntu user quota" into google....