Old 07-09-2010, 02:34 AM
Ric Moore

Default can knotify be shut off?

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 04:07 +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On Friday 09 July 2010 03:46:10 Ric Moore wrote:
> > I'd like to be rid of this troublesum little deamon. It pops up, and
> > announces that I have updates, right in the middle of plotting against
> > the alien hordes, in warzone2100, and froze the entire game. It makes me
> > crazy at other times, too, but I had a rather fiendish strategy working
> > for me and I had to reboot. Grrrr.... don't mess with me in the middle
> > of the conquest of outer space. Oh hell no. I just want my computer to
> > act like one and do what I tell it to do, when I want it to do it. Ric
>
> Just RMB-click on the "i" icon in the systray and de-select all the
> notifications. Or did I misunderstand you?

I deleted the entire I icon and it's contents. I still get the update
software notification popping up. ps ax shows knotify running.

wayward4now@iam:~$ ps ax |grep knotify
1674 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/knotify4
2210 pts/1 S+ 0:00 grep --color=auto knotify
wayward4now@iam:~$

I'd just like a safe way to control the beastie, without wrecking
things. Thanks! Ric

Old 07-09-2010, 05:26 AM
Nils Kassube

Ric Moore wrote:
> I'd like to be rid of this troublesum little deamon. It pops up, and
> announces that I have updates, right in the middle of plotting
> against the alien hordes, in warzone2100, and froze the entire game.

That looks like two problems - irritating notifications and a buggy
game. While I don't know how to cure the game, I think you want to
uninstall the package "update-notifier-kde".

Nils

Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Ric Moore

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 07:26 +0200, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > I'd like to be rid of this troublesum little deamon. It pops up, and
> > announces that I have updates, right in the middle of plotting
> > against the alien hordes, in warzone2100, and froze the entire game.
>
> That looks like two problems - irritating notifications and a buggy
> game. While I don't know how to cure the game, I think you want to
> uninstall the package "update-notifier-kde".

So far, warzone2100 is amazingly free of bugs. It just can't handle
another app intruding into it's graphical window when it's running full
screen. That just kinda blew my mind that knotify would be so
persistent.

And, at that point, I was REALLY pounding the space-aliens at a distance
with mortars and barrage missiles, holding my tanks back in reserve. If
you have ~plenty~ of time to waste, warzone2100 is a really good effort
by it's devel team. It got me through last winter's snow storms.

Next thing you know, someone will endow knotify with GPP (Genuine People
Personalities) and it'll pop up and voice-announce, no matter what
you're doing, "Hey there! I'm knotify and I'm just GUSHING to tell you
that you have upgrades waiting!" It will all come down to tears. Ric