Old 07-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

Default How to move a program icon on the panel of kde 4.4.2

On Thursday 08 July 2010, user1 wrote:
> I am using kde 4.4.2 and lucid 10.04.
>
> I have added a program icon to my panel, but I want to move it to
> another position on the panel?

You click on the panel cashew and drag it.

--Reinhold

Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM
user1

On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:34:17 +0200, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:

> On Thursday 08 July 2010, user1 wrote:
>> I am using kde 4.4.2 and lucid 10.04.
>>
>> I have added a program icon to my panel, but I want to move it to
>> another position on the panel?
>
> You click on the panel cashew and drag it.

Thanks, but how do you drag a program icon into the area with hidden
icons, and how do you move the program icons inside the area with hidden
icons.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 08 July 2010, user1 wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:34:17 +0200, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Thursday 08 July 2010, user1 wrote:
> >> I am using kde 4.4.2 and lucid 10.04.
> >>
> >> I have added a program icon to my panel, but I want to move it
> >> to another position on the panel?
> >
> > You click on the panel cashew and drag it.
>
> Thanks, but how do you drag a program icon into the area with
> hidden icons, and how do you move the program icons inside the
> area with hidden icons.

What "area with hidden icons"?

--Reinhold

Old 07-08-2010, 03:40 PM
user1

> What "area with hidden icons"?

An area lower right side of my panel with an icon button called "Show
hidden icons"

Old 07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Thursday 08 July 2010, user1 wrote:
> > What "area with hidden icons"?
>
> An area lower right side of my panel with an icon button called
> "Show hidden icons"

You mean the system tray? I don't think you can add arbitrary icons
there just yet, but if you right-click on it you can choose to hide
and always show icons on a per-icon basis via the system tray
settings.

--Reinhold

Old 07-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Jonas Norlander

2010/7/8 user1 <bqz69@telia.com>:
> I am using kde 4.4.2 and lucid 10.04.

You should add the Kubuntu Updates PPA [1] repository and update to
KDE 4.4.5. There are many bug fixes and new functions and it should be
pretty safe to do it.

[1] https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/ppa

/ Jonas

Old 07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Myriam Schweingruber

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 17:57, Reinhold Rumberger <rrumberger@web.de> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 July 2010, user1 wrote:
>> > What "area with hidden icons"?
>>
>> An area lower right side of my panel with an icon button called
>> "Show hidden icons"
>
> You mean the system tray? I don't think you can add arbitrary icons
> there just yet.

I don't think you will ever be able to, since the developers are
already starting to clean out the SysTray to get rid of Applications
using it, which is simply not the point of the SysTray. Its aim is for
system applications only.

http://www.fsfe.org

Old 07-09-2010, 10:31 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 09/07/2010 12:08, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:

>>> An area lower right side of my panel with an icon button called
>>> "Show hidden icons"
>>
>> You mean the system tray? I don't think you can add arbitrary icons
>> there just yet.
>
> I don't think you will ever be able to, since the developers are
> already starting to clean out the SysTray to get rid of Applications
> using it, which is simply not the point of the SysTray. Its aim is for
> system applications only.

Myriam - could you shed some light on that statement? What are "system
apps" and what are not? I for one want Kmail/Kontact, Kget, KlamAV and
others in there, hidden or not

Regards
Sinclair

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Myriam Schweingruber

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:31, O. Sinclair <o.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 09/07/2010 12:08, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:

>>> You mean the system tray? I don't think you can add arbitrary icons
>>> there just yet.
>>
>> I don't think you will ever be able to, since the developers are
>> already starting to clean out the SysTray to get rid of Applications
>> using it, which is simply not the point of the SysTray. Its aim is for
>> system applications only.
>>
> Myriam - could you shed some light on that statement? What are "system
> apps" and what are not? I for one want Kmail/Kontact, Kget, KlamAV *and
> others in there, hidden or not

Well, mostly apps that run as a deamon and where you can do some
actions on the icon itself, like the above mentioned. Add to that
Klipper, Knetworkmanager, Kbluetooth, Kleopatra, Konversation, Kopete,
Amarok, KGpg, etc. Of course also notifications, keyboard layout
changers, etc. To know more about the exact list of apps you would
need to ask in kde-devel I guess.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org