Old 07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Michael Renner

Default lucid amd64: nspluginviewer crash

Moin,

it seems to me, that many web pages use flash content: The KDE Crash Handler
often reports, the nspluginviewer closed unexprectedly with signal 11, seg
fault.
Application: nspluginviewer (nspluginviewer), signal: Segmentation fault
[KCrash Handler]
#5 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
#6 0x00007fe322b7895a in nsPluginInstance::getCurrentPageURL() const () from
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
#7 0x00007fe322b79e4a in nsPluginInstance::startProc(unsigned long) () from
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
#8 0x00007fe322b7a8e3 in nsPluginInstance::NewStream(char*, _NPStream*,
unsigned char, unsigned short*) () from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-
alternative.so

Any hint?
--
|Michael Renner E-mail: michael.renner@gmx.de |
|D-81541 Munich Germany ICQ: #112280325 |

Old 07-07-2010, 04:41 PM
James Tappin

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 18:28:48 +0200
Michael Renner <michael.renner@gmx.de> wrote:

MR> Moin,
MR>
MR> it seems to me, that many web pages use flash content: The KDE Crash
MR> Handler often reports, the nspluginviewer closed unexprectedly with
MR> signal 11, seg fault.
MR> Application: nspluginviewer (nspluginviewer), signal: Segmentation
MR> fault [KCrash Handler]
MR> #5 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
MR> #6 0x00007fe322b7895a in nsPluginInstance::getCurrentPageURL()
MR> #const () from
MR> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
MR> #7 0x00007fe322b79e4a in nsPluginInstance::startProc(unsigned long)
MR> #() from
MR> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
MR> #8 0x00007fe322b7a8e3 in nsPluginInstance::NewStream(char*,
MR> #_NPStream*,
MR> unsigned char, unsigned short*) () from
MR> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin- alternative.so
MR>
MR> Any hint?

Try rekonq! nspluginviewer is very buggy (for me it mostly goes into a
runaway state - 100% CPU when doing nothing). The downside of rekonq is
it can't yet handle some non-html links (e.g. pdf and mpg) unless that
was fixed in the last couple of days before the 0.5 release.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 07/07/2010 18:41, James Tappin wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 18:28:48 +0200
> Michael Renner<michael.renner@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> MR> Moin,
> MR>
> MR> it seems to me, that many web pages use flash content: The KDE Crash
> MR> Handler often reports, the nspluginviewer closed unexprectedly with
> MR> signal 11, seg fault.
> MR> Application: nspluginviewer (nspluginviewer), signal: Segmentation
> MR> fault [KCrash Handler]
> MR> #5 0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()
> MR> #6 0x00007fe322b7895a in nsPluginInstance::getCurrentPageURL()
> MR> #const () from
> MR> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
> MR> #7 0x00007fe322b79e4a in nsPluginInstance::startProc(unsigned long)
> MR> #() from
> MR> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin-alternative.so
> MR> #8 0x00007fe322b7a8e3 in nsPluginInstance::NewStream(char*,
> MR> #_NPStream*,
> MR> unsigned char, unsigned short*) () from
> MR> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/flashplugin- alternative.so
> MR>
> MR> Any hint?
>
> Try rekonq! nspluginviewer is very buggy (for me it mostly goes into a
> runaway state - 100% CPU when doing nothing). The downside of rekonq is
> it can't yet handle some non-html links (e.g. pdf and mpg) unless that
> was fixed in the last couple of days before the 0.5 release.

as it is Rekonq and Arora also crash on flashplugin if you use kde SC
4.4.4, quote from earlier thread (there is a solution at the end of the
quotes):
> As it turns out both Arora and Rekonq crashes on every site that uses
> > flash... and that is quite a few.
> >
> > There are hints on internet that this is related to the latest
> > flashplugin, 10 something. Anyone have an idea on how to back to an
> > earlier version of Flash in Lucid?

Its a bug in the latest 4.4.4 bundle of qtwebkit, apparently gtk_init()
is not
called before loading flash, this will be fixed in qtwebkit2

Not, this effects konqueror as well if you use the webkit viewer.

There's a patch on the rekonq mailing list that works around it and I
imagine
that will make its way into rekonq trunk fairly rapidly.
-------------------------
OK I managed... I checked for "flashplugin" via Kpackagekit and found 2
versions:
10.1.53.64 and
10.0.45.2

uninstalling 10.1.53 and installing 10.0.45 solved the problem, I now
browse happily with Rekonq!

The same could apply to you if you use Konqueror with webkit, Arora or
Rekonq

No idea on flashplugin for amd64 though.... the older version is a
remain from "install version KDE", I then upgraded via kubuntu ppa to
4.4.4 and that is when the problems started

Sinclair