Old 07-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Terry Talim

Default Major help needed - I want to install support using ndiswrapper

Major help needed. *I want to install support using ndiswrapper for a d-link wireless usb. *I extracted it to my user directory. *However, I cannot make head nor tail of the installation notes on the web. *They tell of using a "make" command:

Installing ndiswrapper:

Go to the directory holding your ndiswrapper, and run:

sudo make install

According to what I'm told - "make" is not a command.

Other notes say I need to install the build-essential in order *to use the make command.

I write: "sudo apt-get install build-essential"

Next the I get this:

"E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable0
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Reading package lists .....Done
Building dependency tree...Done
Initializing package states...Done
Building tage database...Done
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 resource temporarily unavailable)

E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?"

When I then try and use the "make" command it is still not recognised

Trying to re run the build-essential stuff just gives the reply:

"E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable0
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?"

And the "make" command still doesn't work...geez I am such a noob at this...help please...

Bill TalimEmail: melan@gmail.comSites: http://geologyonlinecourses.com/ and http://onlinenutritiondegrees.net/

Old 07-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Tuesday 06 July 2010 23:16:39 Terry Talim wrote:
> Major help needed. I want to install support using ndiswrapper for a
> d-link wireless usb. I extracted it to my user directory. However, I
> cannot make head nor tail of the installation notes on the web. They tell
> of using a "make" command:
>
> Installing ndiswrapper:
>
> Go to the directory holding your ndiswrapper, and run:
>
> sudo make install
>
> According to what I'm told - "make" is not a command.
>
> Other notes say I need to install the build-essential in order to use the
> make command.

This shouldn't be necessary as ndiswrapper is in the repository. Run:

sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common

> I write: "sudo apt-get install build-essential"
>
> Next the I get this:
>
> "E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily
> unavailable0
> E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another
> process using it?

This may sound confusing but is really self-explanatory. Another process is
accessing the local package cache and has it locked. Are you maybe running
kpackagekit at the same time or using apt-get or aptitude in another Konsole
window? If so shut it down and try again.

Apparently you found the installation notes for ndiswrapper. Skip them and
read about how to use it instead. Sorry but I don't know anything about it.

--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen