Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Perry

Default Partition and content

Hello,

In Hardy, Dolphin would display all the partitions (but swap), with the size
and label (when available) and, in the information part at right, the
partition name (e.g. sda11). I could also click to mount those partitions and
see what they contained (sda7 does not mount there, probably because it is
formated ext4)
Hardy also had a tool for partitions under systemConfiguration advanced tab.

Under Jaunty and Karmic none of this is available.

How do you go about this, inspect the content of e.g. sda5 ?

This is only (for me now) an academic question, but I would be glad to have an
answer.

greetings Perry

--
BOFH excuse #17: fat electrons in the lines

Old 07-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Mark Greenwood

On Monday 05 Jul 2010 18:27:12 Perry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Hardy, Dolphin would display all the partitions (but swap), with the size
> and label (when available) and, in the information part at right, the
> partition name (e.g. sda11). I could also click to mount those partitions and
> see what they contained (sda7 does not mount there, probably because it is
> formated ext4)
> Hardy also had a tool for partitions under systemConfiguration advanced tab.
>
> Under Jaunty and Karmic none of this is available.
>
> How do you go about this, inspect the content of e.g. sda5 ?
>
> This is only (for me now) an academic question, but I would be glad to have an
> answer.
>
> greetings Perry

It doesn't appear to be possible to get Konqueror or Dolphin to show partitions.

You can install partitionmanager, which is a KDE frontend to parted. That appears in the system settings->advanced tab.

Mark

Old 07-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Goh Lip

On 07/06/2010 01:27 AM, Perry wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Hardy, Dolphin would display all the partitions (but swap), with the size
> and label (when available) and, in the information part at right, the
> partition name (e.g. sda11). I could also click to mount those partitions and
> see what they contained (sda7 does not mount there, probably because it is
> formated ext4)
> Hardy also had a tool for partitions under systemConfiguration advanced tab.
>
> Under Jaunty and Karmic none of this is available.
>
> How do you go about this, inspect the content of e.g. sda5 ?
>
> This is only (for me now) an academic question, but I would be glad to have an
> answer.
>
> greetings Perry

Hi Perry, just retired my old working horse, Hardy (kde3.5.10) but for
kde4, at Dolphin, pressing F11 brings out the information panel on the
right side; right click on the icon there brings out the configuration
menu.

At bottom of dolphin, (like status bar in browser-speak), right click
there can bring up size and usage indicators. Clicking on partition
icons on left panel, like in hardy, would mount these partitions too;
are you not getting this result? Try double clicking and if successful,
you can change that to single-click at the settings tab --> configure
dolphin.

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 05/07/2010 20:33, Mark Greenwood wrote:
> On Monday 05 Jul 2010 18:27:12 Perry wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> In Hardy, Dolphin would display all the partitions (but swap), with the size
>> and label (when available) and, in the information part at right, the
>> partition name (e.g. sda11). I could also click to mount those partitions and
>> see what they contained (sda7 does not mount there, probably because it is
>> formated ext4)
>> Hardy also had a tool for partitions under systemConfiguration advanced tab.
>>
>> Under Jaunty and Karmic none of this is available.
>>
>> How do you go about this, inspect the content of e.g. sda5 ?
>>
>> This is only (for me now) an academic question, but I would be glad to have an
>> answer.
>>
>> greetings Perry
>>

> It doesn't appear to be possible to get Konqueror or Dolphin to show partitions.
>
> You can install partitionmanager, which is a KDE frontend to parted. That appears in the system settings->advanced tab.

you will get almost the same result by setting the Device Notifier
widget to show all devices, not only "removable" which is the standard
setting

Sinclair

Old 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Perry

Le Monday 05 July 2010 21.00:45 Goh Lip, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
> On 07/06/2010 01:27 AM, Perry wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > In Hardy, Dolphin would display all the partitions (but swap), with the
> > size and label (when available) and, in the information part at right,
> > the partition name (e.g. sda11). I could also click to mount those
> > partitions and see what they contained (sda7 does not mount there,
> > probably because it is formated ext4)
> > Hardy also had a tool for partitions under systemConfiguration advanced
> > tab.
> >
> > Under Jaunty and Karmic none of this is available.
> >
> > How do you go about this, inspect the content of e.g. sda5 ?
> >
> > This is only (for me now) an academic question, but I would be glad to
> > have an answer.
> >
> > greetings Perry
>
> Hi Perry, just retired my old working horse, Hardy (kde3.5.10) but for
> kde4, at Dolphin, pressing F11 brings out the information panel on the
> right side; right click on the icon there brings out the configuration
> menu.
Hi Goh
I have this information panel already, but it seems *unreactive*, it hardly
displays more info what is on the left pane (just Type:folder and modified:
06.07.2010), and only when I click on the partition (in Hardy hovering did it)

> At bottom of dolphin, (like status bar in browser-speak), right click
> there can bring up size and usage indicators.
No need to right click, it is always there.
> Clicking on partition
> icons on left panel, like in hardy, would mount these partitions too;
hopefully *this works* ;O))
> are you not getting this result? Try double clicking and if successful,
> you can change that to single-click at the settings tab --> configure
> dolphin.
The only thing missing is I cannot see a clear partition name like sda5

@ Mark:
>It doesn't appear to be possible to get Konqueror or Dolphin to show
partitions.
It used to.

>You can install partitionmanager, which is a KDE frontend to parted. That
appears in the system settings->advanced tab.
I had installed gparted, it probably does the same thing as partition manager,
I can find sda5 but I do not expect to be able to explore the content of sda5
from there.

@ Sinclair:
>you will get almost the same result by setting the Device Notifier
>widget to show all devices, not only "removable" which is the standard
>setting
I will have to dig into this, it might be helpful, and perhaps even solve my
problem. Will report on that later when I learn how to do that.

Thanks all for input. Perry

--
BOFH excuse #218: The UPS doesn't have a battery backup

Old 07-07-2010, 02:59 AM
Goh Lip

On 07/07/2010 01:21 AM, Perry wrote:

> I will have to dig into this, it might be helpful, and perhaps even solve my
> problem. Will report on that later when I learn how to do that.

Perry, if all doesn't work, maybe as last resort,
sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm <or>
sudo install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop

Good luck - Goh Lip

Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 06/07/2010 19:21, Perry wrote:
> Le Monday 05 July 2010 21.00:45 Goh Lip, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
>> On 07/06/2010 01:27 AM, Perry wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> In Hardy, Dolphin would display all the partitions (but swap), with the
>>> size and label (when available) and, in the information part at right,
>>> the partition name (e.g. sda11). I could also click to mount those
>>> partitions and see what they contained (sda7 does not mount there,
>>> probably because it is formated ext4)
>>> Hardy also had a tool for partitions under systemConfiguration advanced
>>> tab.
>>>
>>> Under Jaunty and Karmic none of this is available.
>>>
>>> How do you go about this, inspect the content of e.g. sda5 ?
>>>
>>> This is only (for me now) an academic question, but I would be glad to
>>> have an answer.
>>>
>>> greetings Perry
>>
>> Hi Perry, just retired my old working horse, Hardy (kde3.5.10) but for
>> kde4, at Dolphin, pressing F11 brings out the information panel on the
>> right side; right click on the icon there brings out the configuration
>> menu.
> Hi Goh
> I have this information panel already, but it seems *unreactive*, it hardly
> displays more info what is on the left pane (just Type:folder and modified:
> 06.07.2010), and only when I click on the partition (in Hardy hovering did it)
>>
>> At bottom of dolphin, (like status bar in browser-speak), right click
>> there can bring up size and usage indicators.
> No need to right click, it is always there.
>> Clicking on partition
>> icons on left panel, like in hardy, would mount these partitions too;
> hopefully *this works* ;O))
>> are you not getting this result? Try double clicking and if successful,
>> you can change that to single-click at the settings tab --> configure
>> dolphin.
> The only thing missing is I cannot see a clear partition name like sda5
>>
>> Regards - Goh Lip
>>

> @ Mark:
>> It doesn't appear to be possible to get Konqueror or Dolphin to show
> partitions.
> It used to.
>>
>> You can install partitionmanager, which is a KDE frontend to parted. That
> appears in the system settings->advanced tab.
> I had installed gparted, it probably does the same thing as partition manager,
> I can find sda5 but I do not expect to be able to explore the content of sda5
> from there.
>
> @ Sinclair:
>> you will get almost the same result by setting the Device Notifier
>> widget to show all devices, not only "removable" which is the standard
>> setting
> I will have to dig into this, it might be helpful, and perhaps even solve my
> problem. Will report on that later when I learn how to do that.
Right-click on the device-notifier widget in the Systray (the one that
comes alive when you insert a flashdisk or CD/DVD). Choose "Device
Notifier Settings". It should come up a window with settings with
"General" set to display "Removable Devices only". Change that to "All
devices" and OK.
When you now click on the notifier you see all devices, hover over one
and you get info on size and occupied/free space

Hope it helps, it is not as good but it works

Old 07-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Perry

Sorry for long delay, been terribly busy.
Le Wednesday 07 July 2010 08.43:18 O. Sinclair, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
> > I will have to dig into this, it might be helpful, and perhaps even solve
> > my problem. Will report on that later when I learn how to do that.
>
> Right-click on the device-notifier widget in the Systray (the one that
> comes alive when you insert a flashdisk or CD/DVD).
I cannot tell for sure which widget in the Systray comes alive when I insert a
removable media, I just see a new information window appear.
In fact I know no simple way to find the name (that you would use in a shell)
when I see the Icon... I'll come back later on this point. (***)
In this case the Icon is explicit enough: a blue screen showing the usb symbol
capped with with a half CD, which I discovered was named knotify4, but when I
right click on it...
> Choose "Device
> Notifier Settings". It should come up a window with settings with
> "General" set to display "Removable Devices only".
I doesn't,
when I click again to configure the notification the only available choice it to
configure a keyboard shortcut (and trying the Alt+D,S suggestion caused the
icon to vanish from the Systray, I had to add this damn plasmoid back)
> Change that to "All devices" and OK.
> When you now click on the notifier you see all devices, hover over one
> and you get info on size and occupied/free space
Well, I think Dolphin already displays this information, but I haven't found
since Hardy a program that would at the same time display the partition name
(eg. sda5) and open it.
After all this will not deprive me of my sleep.

(***) Under Hardy the K-Launcher (kickoff) had an option to launch a program as
a shell command, thus you could find it name and do other things; I also miss
this feature. Could it be because for Hardy I installed first the gnome part,
and then kde above it?

@ Goh
I tired this suggestion, without much hope and to no avail.
>sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
I think there was something special Hardy had on my installation, but neither
Jaunty nor Karmic. Was it Gnome?

Greetings Perry

--
BOFH excuse #436: Daemon escaped from pentagram

Old 07-13-2010, 12:47 AM
Goh Lip

On 07/13/2010 01:11 AM, Perry wrote:

> @ Goh
> I tired this suggestion, without much hope and to no avail.
>> sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
> I think there was something special Hardy had on my installation, but neither
> Jaunty nor Karmic. Was it Gnome?

I now don't have Hardy, Jaunty nor Karmic. So I cannot go and recheck.
But I am fairly certain Karmic has the features; and I don't think
installing gnome first would affect it as well. Sorry, Perry, I cannot
go more with this except perhaps "sudo install --reinstall kubuntu-desktop".

Regards - Goh Lip

Old 07-13-2010, 06:40 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 12/07/2010 19:11, Perry wrote:
> Sorry for long delay, been terribly busy.
> Le Wednesday 07 July 2010 08.43:18 O. Sinclair, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
>>> I will have to dig into this, it might be helpful, and perhaps even solve
>>> my problem. Will report on that later when I learn how to do that.
>>
>> Right-click on the device-notifier widget in the Systray (the one that
>> comes alive when you insert a flashdisk or CD/DVD).
> I cannot tell for sure which widget in the Systray comes alive when I insert a
> removable media, I just see a new information window appear.
> In fact I know no simple way to find the name (that you would use in a shell)
> when I see the Icon... I'll come back later on this point. (***)
> In this case the Icon is explicit enough: a blue screen showing the usb symbol
> capped with with a half CD, which I discovered was named knotify4, but when I
> right click on it...
>> Choose "Device
>> Notifier Settings". It should come up a window with settings with
>> "General" set to display "Removable Devices only".
> I doesn't,
> when I click again to configure the notification the only available choice it to
> configure a keyboard shortcut (and trying the Alt+D,S suggestion caused the
> icon to vanish from the Systray, I had to add this damn plasmoid back)
>> Change that to "All devices" and OK.
>> When you now click on the notifier you see all devices, hover over one
>> and you get info on size and occupied/free space
> Well, I think Dolphin already displays this information, but I haven't found
> since Hardy a program that would at the same time display the partition name
> (eg. sda5) and open it.
> After all this will not deprive me of my sleep.
I am not sure we are on the same version. I run 10.04 Lucid with KDE
updated to 4.4.5 . There were many changes to the Device Notifier
between Karmic and Lucid. However, my version does not show the sdaX either

Sinclair