-   -   screen trashed, Help (http://www.linux-archive.org/kubuntu-user/39448-screen-trashed-help.html)

Fred Schuelzky 01-16-2008 11:49 PM

screen trashed, Help

I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
and don't know what to do .

Thanks
Fred

"Andrew Jarrett" 01-17-2008 12:10 AM

screen trashed, Help

On Jan 16, 2008 7:49 PM, Fred Schuelzky <phredsky@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
> and don't know what to do .
>

> Thanks
> Fred

How so? Is the problem resolution, fonts, etc.?

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Fred Schuelzky 01-17-2008 12:29 AM

screen trashed, Help

Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 7:49 PM, Fred Schuelzky <phredsky@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
>> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
>> and don't know what to do .
>>

>> Thanks
>> Fred
>>

> How so? Is the problem resolution, fonts, etc.?
>
> Andrew

Hi Andrew
I think the problem is resolution. The login screen looks like a lot of
little screens. I had to pull the plug.

Thanks
Fred

"Andrew Jarrett" 01-17-2008 12:49 AM

screen trashed, Help

On Jan 16, 2008 8:29 PM, Fred Schuelzky <phredsky@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> > On Jan 16, 2008 7:49 PM, Fred Schuelzky <phredsky@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
> >> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
> >> and don't know what to do .
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >> Fred
> >>

> > How so? Is the problem resolution, fonts, etc.?
> >
> > Andrew
> >

> Hi Andrew
> I think the problem is resolution. The login screen looks like a lot of
> little screens. I had to pull the plug.
>

> Thanks
> Fred

What brand video card do you have? Were you using the restricted
drivers (the ones provided from the nvidia or ati)?

Try using your install CD for Kubuntu. Boot off of the CD and if the
graphics work (doesn't have to be perfect), then copy the file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf (generated by the live CD) to the etc/X11 directory
on your Kubuntu installation. Restart and if you copied it correctly
you should have a working display. After this you can play with video
card drivers, resolution, etc. I'm not exactly sure of the origin of
your problem, but this should put you back on track.

Andrew

--
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2

Fred Schuelzky 01-17-2008 01:10 AM

screen trashed, Help

Andrew Jarrett wrote:
> On Jan 16, 2008 8:29 PM, Fred Schuelzky <phredsky@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Andrew Jarrett wrote:

>>> How so? Is the problem resolution, fonts, etc.?
>>>
>>> Andrew
>>>

>> Hi Andrew
>> I think the problem is resolution. The login screen looks like a lot of
>> little screens. I had to pull the plug.
>>

>> Thanks
>> Fred
>>

> What brand video card do you have? Were you using the restricted
> drivers (the ones provided from the nvidia or ati)?
>
> Try using your install CD for Kubuntu. Boot off of the CD and if the
> graphics work (doesn't have to be perfect), then copy the file
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf (generated by the live CD) to the etc/X11 directory
> on your Kubuntu installation. Restart and if you copied it correctly
> you should have a working display. After this you can play with video
> card drivers, resolution, etc. I'm not exactly sure of the origin of
> your problem, but this should put you back on track.
>
> Andrew

Thanks Andrew

First my graphics adapter is a nvidia Ge Force 6100 n Force 405. I
believe i did use the restricted drivers. This afternoon I was playing
with themes and changed my display to a different resolution, I think it
was 1280 x 768 trying to make the screen easier to read. I also d/l
thunderbird and tried to add the Lightening add-on it wouldn't work. I
finally gave up on that one.
Any way Ill try to boot up the live cd and see what happens.

Thank you
Fred

"Howard Coles Jr." 01-17-2008 02:20 AM

screen trashed, Help

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 06:49:46 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
> and don't know what to do .

try going to tty2, which is a shell, and see what it looks like.
Hit [ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2] to do that.

If the login prompt looks Ok its probably just a config issue with xorg.conf

If you still can't see anything, its probably a driver issue.

What kind of video card do you run?

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

"Howard Coles Jr." 01-17-2008 03:00 AM

screen trashed, Help

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 08:10:32 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Andrew Jarrett wrote:

> >> Hi Andrew
> >> I think the problem is resolution. The login screen looks like a lot of
> >> little screens. I had to pull the plug.
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >> Fred
> >
> > What brand video card do you have? Were you using the restricted
> > drivers (the ones provided from the nvidia or ati)?
> >
> > Try using your install CD for Kubuntu. Boot off of the CD and if the
> > graphics work (doesn't have to be perfect), then copy the file
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf (generated by the live CD) to the etc/X11 directory
> > on your Kubuntu installation. Restart and if you copied it correctly
> > you should have a working display. After this you can play with video
> > card drivers, resolution, etc. I'm not exactly sure of the origin of
> > your problem, but this should put you back on track.
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Thanks Andrew
>
> First my graphics adapter is a nvidia Ge Force 6100 n Force 405. I
> believe i did use the restricted drivers. This afternoon I was playing
> with themes and changed my display to a different resolution, I think it
> was 1280 x 768 trying to make the screen easier to read. I also d/l
> thunderbird and tried to add the Lightening add-on it wouldn't work. I
> finally gave up on that one.
> Any way Ill try to boot up the live cd and see what happens.

You don't have to copy a brand new xorg.conf file. Chances are there's a
backup version in the /etc/X11 directory already. Even if there's not
editing the one that's there to have a resolution that works is easy enough.

sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

scroll down until you find the "Screen" Section
Looks like:
Section "Screen"
In that area you'll find display settings with the resolutions inside double
quotes. Just change the one for your color depth.
You'll find yours by finding the "Defaultdepth" entry just below the "Screen"
part. It'll have a number like 16 or 24 beside it.
Go to that depth (or change all the depths just in case) and change it to what
worked. (hit "i" to insert). (be careful in the default version of VI that
comes with Gutsy. If you are in insert mode and hit the arrow keys you'll
add new lines with D's or A's and such. so after you have changed some text
and want to go to a different line hit the [Esc] key.)
"1600x1250" or "1400x1050" or "1280x768" if its a 15" wide screen typical of a
lot of laptops today.
Hit [Esc] then " : " then type wq and restart. You should be good to go.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

Fred Schuelzky 01-17-2008 03:41 AM

screen trashed, Help

Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 06:49:46 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
>
>> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
>> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
>> and don't know what to do .
>>

> try going to tty2, which is a shell, and see what it looks like.
> Hit [ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2] to do that.
>
> If the login prompt looks Ok its probably just a config issue with xorg.conf
>
> If you still can't see anything, its probably a driver issue.
>
> What kind of video card do you run?

Hi Howard
It has been one of those days, 1st Kubuntu screen trashed, then my hi
speed modem needs to be rebooted 4 times to finally come up, then I
wanted to print your instructions and my lazer jet is feeding 3 or 4
sheets at a time.
Howard I have a nvidia Ge Force 6100 n Force 405. I did got to terminal
and everything looked fine so it must be in my xorg.conf file. I've
been a little hesitant about working from a command line, but nothing
ventured nothing gained.
I can do the change from terminal right? BTW what is the command to
quit terminal??

Thanks
Fred

"Howard Coles Jr." 01-18-2008 01:41 AM

screen trashed, Help

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 10:41:21 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 January 2008 06:49:46 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> >> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
> >> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
> >> and don't know what to do .
> >
> > try going to tty2, which is a shell, and see what it looks like.
> > Hit [ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2] to do that.
> >
> > If the login prompt looks Ok its probably just a config issue with
> > xorg.conf
> >
> > If you still can't see anything, its probably a driver issue.
> >
> > What kind of video card do you run?
>
> Hi Howard
> It has been one of those days, 1st Kubuntu screen trashed, then my hi
> speed modem needs to be rebooted 4 times to finally come up, then I
> wanted to print your instructions and my lazer jet is feeding 3 or 4
> sheets at a time.
> Howard I have a nvidia Ge Force 6100 n Force 405. I did got to terminal
> and everything looked fine so it must be in my xorg.conf file. I've
> been a little hesitant about working from a command line, but nothing
> ventured nothing gained.
> I can do the change from terminal right? BTW what is the command to
> quit terminal??

exit
or
logout

either will work.

Ok, so the xorg.conf file is a little messed up. There are two ways to fix
it:
1. run the reconfigure switch on xorg

2. Edit the xorg.conf file and put the resolution back like it was.
(of course you COULD, boot up to a live CD and copy the xorg.conf from that to
your real location as well).

The problem with 1 is at the moment I can't for the life of me remember the
syntax. I've been fighting TSM's Admin Center on Red Hat Enterprise 5.1.

There may be a backup copy of xorg.conf from the last time it was edited.
look for files that start "xorg.conf" and then have something like .<date
here> or .bak Look for the one with the most recent date and copy it to the
real xorg.conf file as follows:
sudo cp xorg.conf.<whatever> xorg.conf
if it prompts you to overwrite hit y.

Let us know what you find in that directory.

ls -l will give you a long list with the dates to the side.
ls -lh will give you long list with human readable sizes (10 MB, 1 GB, etc.)

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

"Howard Coles Jr." 01-19-2008 02:21 AM

screen trashed, Help

On Wednesday 16 January 2008 10:41:21 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> Howard Coles Jr. wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 January 2008 06:49:46 pm Fred Schuelzky wrote:
> >> I just installed Gutsy on my new new computer, everything was fine until
> >> I booted up today, the desktop graphics are unreadable. I'm a noobie
> >> and don't know what to do .
> >
> > try going to tty2, which is a shell, and see what it looks like.
> > Hit [ctrl]+[Alt]+[F2] to do that.
> >
> > If the login prompt looks Ok its probably just a config issue with
> > xorg.conf
> >
> > If you still can't see anything, its probably a driver issue.
> >
> > What kind of video card do you run?
>
> Hi Howard
> It has been one of those days, 1st Kubuntu screen trashed, then my hi
> speed modem needs to be rebooted 4 times to finally come up, then I
> wanted to print your instructions and my lazer jet is feeding 3 or 4
> sheets at a time.
> Howard I have a nvidia Ge Force 6100 n Force 405. I did got to terminal
> and everything looked fine so it must be in my xorg.conf file. I've
> been a little hesitant about working from a command line, but nothing
> ventured nothing gained.
> I can do the change from terminal right? BTW what is the command to
> quit terminal??

Sorry for the delay, but for some reason Kontact just decided to do things
differently, and I couldn't send email until I reconfigured my gmail
connection.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.