Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Georgi Kourtev

Default Keeping settings/files on another PC

Dear all,

I have a lap-top which i regularly back-up with the following command:

rsync -av /home/name /media/External_drive

I have a new installation of my home desktop. If I copy the /home (including
all ./ directories) from the back-up disk to the PC, would I have an identical
mirror of the laptop (i.e. files + settings)?

Or I have do adjust all on the new installation and than to copy just the
visible directories (like Documents, Picture alike).

Another aspect of this question -- is there a way to synchronizing the laptop
files with the desktop PC?

Both machines are with 10.04 LTS, KDE 4.4.5.

Thanks.
gk

Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

Georgi,
On 2 July 2010 15:47, Georgi Kourtev <gkourtev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a new installation of my home desktop. *If I copy the /home (including
> all ./ directories) from the back-up disk to the PC, would I have an identical
> mirror of the laptop (i.e. files + settings)?
Package versions and installed software? Not necessarily.
Settings? Yes unless some software decided to use hostname as a part
of the config.

> Another aspect of this question -- is there a way to synchronizing the laptop
> files with the desktop PC?
Rsync etc. does not handle modifications on both ends very well. The
usual solution is to synchronise to a common resource, in the cloud
(i.e., Ubuntu One) or not.
I tend to use Mercurial for anything that needs synchronised - on the
other hand probably using a versioning system for such is not for
everybody unless you want to know what document you were editing three
years ago and all of the mods and whys and store all versions on disk
for ever...

Old 07-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Perry

Le Friday 02 July 2010 16.47:23 Georgi Kourtev, vous avez écrit (you wrote) :
> I have a new installation of my home desktop. If I copy the /home
> (including all ./ directories) from the back-up disk to the PC, would I
> have an identical mirror of the laptop (i.e. files + settings)?
>
> Or I have do adjust all on the new installation and than to copy just the
> visible directories (like Documents, Picture alike).

If you don't save all the ./directories, you may still want to save some,
eg: your mail, calendar and address-book, those are hidden somewhere in
~/.kde/share/apps/... (unless Lucid changed all this, but it is the case up
to Karmic).

Cheers Perry

--
BOFH excuse #278: The Dilithium Crystals need to be rotated