Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
ray burke

Default downloading wicd for Kubuntu 8.04

Can any one help

as I have been advised by searching for connection of my
wireless broadband usb stick (Dodo) to operate properly and bee recognised
as a modem that I have to install WICD but within the web page of
"http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php" it does not mention install for
Kubuntu?

ray

Old 07-02-2010, 05:13 AM
Nils Kassube

ray burke wrote:
> as I have been advised by searching for connection of my
> wireless broadband usb stick (Dodo) to operate properly and bee
> recognised as a modem that I have to install WICD but within the web
> page of "http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php" it does not
> mention install for Kubuntu?

Well, the description is for Ubuntu but Kubuntu shares the same
repository and wicd works more or less the same for both Ubuntu and
Kubuntu. I just can't tell you a GUI way to add the repo because I don't
have a 8.04 machine left. You can add the line

deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras

to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
you could do it with the command

kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
package manager.

Nils

Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 PM
ray burke

On 7/2/10, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> ray burke wrote:
> > as I have been advised by searching for connection of my
> > wireless broadband usb stick (Dodo) to operate properly and bee
> > recognised as a modem that I have to install WICD but within the web
> > page of "http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php" it does not
> > mention install for Kubuntu?
>

> Well, the description is for Ubuntu but Kubuntu shares the same
> repository and wicd works more or less the same for both Ubuntu and
> Kubuntu. I just can't tell you a GUI way to add the repo because I don't
> have a 8.04 machine left. You can add the line
>
> deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
>
> to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
> you could do it with the command
>
> kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
> package manager.
>

> Nils

Nils,

OK will attemp to do so, thanks

ray

Old 07-04-2010, 09:14 PM
ray burke

On 7/2/10, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> ray burke wrote:
> > as I have been advised by searching for connection of my
> > wireless broadband usb stick (Dodo) to operate properly and bee
> > recognised as a modem that I have to install WICD but within the web
> > page of "http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php" it does not
> > mention install for Kubuntu?
>

> Well, the description is for Ubuntu but Kubuntu shares the same
> repository and wicd works more or less the same for both Ubuntu and
> Kubuntu. I just can't tell you a GUI way to add the repo because I don't
> have a 8.04 machine left. You can add the line
>
> deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
>
> to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
> you could do it with the command
>
> kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
> package manager.
>

> Nils

Nils,
See my coments below

You can add the line

deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras *** understand this***

to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
you could do it with the command

kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list

from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
package manager. ***Dont understand this***

as how to enter which key?

ray

Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday, July 04, 2010 05:14:08 pm ray burke wrote:
> On 7/2/10, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > ray burke wrote:
> > > as I have been advised by searching for connection of my
> > > wireless broadband usb stick (Dodo) to operate properly and bee
> > > recognised as a modem that I have to install WICD but within the web
> > > page of "http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php" it does not
> > > mention install for Kubuntu?
> >
> > Well, the description is for Ubuntu but Kubuntu shares the same
> >
> > repository and wicd works more or less the same for both Ubuntu and
> > Kubuntu. I just can't tell you a GUI way to add the repo because I don't
> > have a 8.04 machine left. You can add the line
> >
> > deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
> >
> > to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
> > you could do it with the command
> >
> > kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> > page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
> > package manager.
> >

> > Nils
> >
> > --
>
> Nils,
> See my coments below
>
> You can add the line
>
> deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras *** understand this***
>

> to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
> you could do it with the command
>
> kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
> package manager. ***Dont understand this***
>
> as how to enter which key?
>
> ray

Quoting from the directions found on http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
on how to install wicd on Ubuntu (this part of the process is the exact same
for Kubuntu):

You'll also need to add the key used for signing Wicd by running the following
command in a terminal:

wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -

After that you can use your package manager to reload your package list and
then install wicd as you would any other application.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 07-04-2010, 09:30 PM
ray burke

On 7/5/10, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 04, 2010 05:14:08 pm ray burke wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, the description is for Ubuntu but Kubuntu shares the same
> > >
> > > repository and wicd works more or less the same for both Ubuntu and
> > > Kubuntu. I just can't tell you a GUI way to add the repo because I don't
> > > have a 8.04 machine left. You can add the line
> > >
> > > deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras
> > >
> > > to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
> > > you could do it with the command
> > >
> > > kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
> > >
> > > from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> > > page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
> > > package manager.
> > >

> > > Nils
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Nils,
> > See my coments below
> >
> > You can add the line
> >
> > deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras *** understand this***
> >

> > to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file and
> > you could do it with the command
> >
> > kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
> >
> > from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> > page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your favourite
> > package manager. ***Dont understand this***
> >
> > as how to enter which key?
> >
> > ray
>

> Quoting from the directions found on http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
> on how to install wicd on Ubuntu (this part of the process is the exact same
> for Kubuntu):
>
> You'll also need to add the key used for signing Wicd by running the following
> command in a terminal:
>
> wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
>
> After that you can use your package manager to reload your package list and
> then install wicd as you would any other application.
>

> --
> Clay Weber
> http://kubuntuforums.net
> http://flyballmaine.com
> http://emacdogsports.com

Clay,

Because I am a novice at Kubuntu I dont quite understand that Is why I
am asking for
help in lay mens terms?

ray

Old 07-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Clay Weber

On Sunday, July 04, 2010 05:30:39 pm ray burke wrote:
> On 7/5/10, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:

> > > Nils,
> > > See my coments below
> > >
> > > You can add the line
> > >
> > > deb http://apt.wicd.net hardy extras *** understand this***
> > >

> > > to your sources.list file. You need root privilege to edit that file
> > > and you could do it with the command
> > >
> > > kdesudo kate /etc/apt/sources.list
> > >
> > > from a terminal or from Alt-F2. Then add the key as described on the
> > > page you mentioned. After that you can install wicd from your
> > > favourite package manager. ***Dont understand this***
> > >
> > > as how to enter which key?
> > >
> > > ray
> >
> > Quoting from the directions found on
> > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
> >
> > on how to install wicd on Ubuntu (this part of the process is the exact
> > same for Kubuntu):
> >
> > You'll also need to add the key used for signing Wicd by running the
> > following command in a terminal:
> >
> > wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
> >
> > After that you can use your package manager to reload your package list
> > and then install wicd as you would any other application.
> >

> > --
> > Clay Weber
> > http://kubuntuforums.net
> > http://flyballmaine.com
> > http://emacdogsports.com
> >

> > --

> Clay,
>
> Because I am a novice at Kubuntu I dont quite understand that Is why I
> am asking for
> help in lay mens terms?
>
> ray

I don't think it can get any clearer than opening a terminal and typing in the
line given, surely with your time in here you do understand how to do that.

If you want to know WHY the need for the command, well that is because in a
reputable repository, all packages are 'signed' for security, and a 'key' is
needed to verify the packages. The package manager, I think, won't install
packages from external repositories without the key. The command given
downloads the key file, and then adds it to the list of keys.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 07-05-2010, 01:06 AM
ray burke

On 7/5/10, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> On Sunday, July 04, 2010 05:30:39 pm ray burke wrote:

> > > Quoting from the directions found on
> > > http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php
> > >
> > > on how to install wicd on Ubuntu (this part of the process is the exact
> > > same for Kubuntu):
> > >
> > > You'll also need to add the key used for signing Wicd by running the
> > > following command in a terminal:
> > >
> > > wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -
> > >
> > > After that you can use your package manager to reload your package list
> > > and then install wicd as you would any other application.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Clay Weber
> > > http://kubuntuforums.net
> > > http://flyballmaine.com
> > > http://emacdogsports.com
> > >

> > > --

> > Clay,
> >
> > Because I am a novice at Kubuntu I dont quite understand that Is why I
> > am asking for
> > help in lay mens terms?
> >
> > ray
>

> I don't think it can get any clearer than opening a terminal and typing in the
> line given, surely with your time in here you do understand how to do that.
>
> If you want to know WHY the need for the command, well that is because in a
> reputable repository, all packages are 'signed' for security, and a 'key' is
> needed to verify the packages. The package manager, I think, won't install
> packages from external repositories without the key. The command given
> downloads the key file, and then adds it to the list of keys.
>

> --
>
> Clay Weber
> http://kubuntuforums.net
> http://flyballmaine.com
> http://emacdogsports.com

Clay,

I have done those two things
"deb http://apt.wicd.net jaunty extras" within the third party
packages and then in terminal
"wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -"

but now how do I reload to get it to show within me adept_manager?

ray

Old 07-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Clay Weber

On Sunday, July 04, 2010 09:06:29 pm ray burke wrote:
> On 7/5/10, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:

> > > Clay,
> > >
> > > Because I am a novice at Kubuntu I dont quite understand that Is why I
> > > am asking for
> > > help in lay mens terms?
> > >
> > > ray
> >
> > I don't think it can get any clearer than opening a terminal and typing
> > in the
> >
> > line given, surely with your time in here you do understand how to do
> > that.
> >
> > If you want to know WHY the need for the command, well that is because
> > in a reputable repository, all packages are 'signed' for security, and
> > a 'key' is needed to verify the packages. The package manager, I think,
> > won't install packages from external repositories without the key. The
> > command given downloads the key file, and then adds it to the list of
> > keys.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Clay Weber
> >
> > http://kubuntuforums.net
> > http://flyballmaine.com
> > http://emacdogsports.com
> >
> > --
>
> Clay,
>
> I have done those two things
> "deb http://apt.wicd.net jaunty extras" within the third party
> packages and then in terminal
> "wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -"
>
> but now how do I reload to get it to show within me adept_manager?
>
> ray

you click the 'fetch updates' icon on Adept

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AdeptHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/Kubuntu/Hardy

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net

Old 07-05-2010, 05:22 AM
ray burke

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Clay Weber <claydoh@midmaine.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> > *command given downloads the key file, and then adds it to the list of
>> > *keys.
>> >

>> > *--
>> >
>> > Clay Weber
>> >
>> > *http://kubuntuforums.net
>> > *http://flyballmaine.com
>> > *http://emacdogsports.com
>> >
>> > *--
>> > *kubuntu-users mailing list
>> > *kubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> > *Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
>>
>> Clay,
>>
>> I have done those two things
>> "deb http://apt.wicd.net jaunty extras" within the third party
>> packages and then in terminal
>> "wget -q http://apt.wicd.net/wicd.gpg -O- | sudo apt-key add -"
>>
>> but now how do I reload to get it to show within me adept_manager?
>>
>> ray
>
> you click the 'fetch updates' icon on Adept

Clay,

OK thanks

ray