Old 06-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Default Who's working to get PA working in KDE/KUbuntu? Where is info about that? ; jor kubuntu

> {Please feel free to ignore parts of this that are irrelevant to this
> list.
> I only have time to write this one email.
> Sending to KUbuntu, DebianKDE, PulseAudio, KDE. Thanks }
>
> From my recent thread,
> Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4 ; jor KUbuntu
> and
> [pulseaudio-discuss] Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4 ; jor
> PA
> I read that PA is being worked on for KUbuntu 10.10,
> but not for the long term release 10.4.
>
> [And see other references at end.]
>
> Am I wrong here:
> Isn't it stupid to not get this very useful PA sw into the long term
> release system, 10.4?

I would suggest bringing this up in the kubuntu-devel list as they will
more likely have the answers you need.

I do not know if the pulseaudio integration is KDE SC 4.5-specific or not,
so it well could be difficult to port back to SC 4.4 as 4.5 uses qt 4.7,
and 4.4 uses qt 4.6. I highly doubt the powers that be would allow this
major of a jump in qt to be released as an update to 10.04, as they
haven't allowed it in the past.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates
this is just an overview of the hoops that need to be jumped through to
get something *added* to a release.

It kinda sucks but it is what it is

> ==
> Which begs this question:
> What is the proper way for a user to move forward with (K)Ubuntu as a
> function of calendar time & update Ubuntu releases?:
> 1) Upgrade from an LTS to all of the following interim releases, or
> 2) Stick with the LTS?

Personal preference and/or needs, really.

> I've pretty much been doing fresh installs for each new 6 month release,
> except for the KDE 4 debacle, when I might have stuck with KDE3 for a
> while, & stuck with 9.4 & kde4 from ppa, instead of going to 9.10.
>
> ==
> Back to my topic:
>
> 1) _Who_ is leading, _&_ also who is working on, the effort to get PA
> into KUbuntu?

It will be in the next alpha, due this week

> BTW, are KUbuntu people working on this issue separate from Debian people?
>
> Or, is it a joint effort, & everything PA for KUbuntu will come solely
> from Debian?

I don't know, on actual KDE releases kubuntu seems to get their new kde
software before Sid (ie iirc we had kde sc 4.4.4 before it was available
in Sid)

Fedora has been doing work on this as well (actually iirc Fedora 13 has
it), so I am sure some things may be coming from them.