Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
"giovanni_re"

Default Proper PulseAudio - What are KU devs doing about this? - installation for KUbuntu 10.4 ; jor KUbuntu

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:45:52 +0100, "Mark Greenwood" <captain_bodge@yahoo.co.uk> said:
> > 2) Here is the suggested set of sw you should install.
>
> In any up to date distro where it is supported (eg Ubuntu 10.04), it will
> be preinstalled and preconfigured, as it's pretty much a requirement for
> Gnome these days.

> Under KDE there is a feeling that it's not required as
> KDE has Phonon. In my view (and it seems only the Kubuntu devs disagree
> with me on this) this is a mistake, as Phonon does not provide half the
> functionality of pulseaudio.

Specifically, who is that?

&, it would be great to get a reply from those persons as to their perspective on this issue.

Because, personally, I think it would be well advised to get the functionality of PulseAudio into KUbuntu ASAP.

Kubuntu developers - what are your thoughts, & plans, about getting PA into KUbuntu?

If other distros have this working currently
{Distro Support
The following Distributions are known to provide fully integrated support:
* Mandriva: 2010.0 onwards
* Fedora: 13 onwards
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/KDE }

can't this be gotten into KU 10.4?
Why waste 3 months till 10.10 to get this functionality into KUbuntu?

> A lot of work went into KDE over the last 6 months to make it
> pulseaudio-friendly. However these changes arrived slightly too late for
> the 10.04 Kubuntu release and there were build issues and packaging
> problems that would have been too risky to address at the late stage when
> the problem was identified. Not to mention the fact there appear to be
> two versions of Phonon upstream. I raised the bug, but I didn't spot it
> until the 10.04 RC.
Join in the Global weekly meetings via VOIP about all Free SW HW & Culture

Old 06-28-2010, 10:43 PM

> On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:45:52 +0100, "Mark Greenwood"
> <captain_bodge@yahoo.co.uk> said:
>> > 2) Here is the suggested set of sw you should install.
>>
>> In any up to date distro where it is supported (eg Ubuntu 10.04), it
>> will
>> be preinstalled and preconfigured, as it's pretty much a requirement for
>> Gnome these days.
>
>> Under KDE there is a feeling that it's not required as
>> KDE has Phonon. In my view (and it seems only the Kubuntu devs disagree
>> with me on this) this is a mistake, as Phonon does not provide half the
>> functionality of pulseaudio.
>
> Specifically, who is that?
>
> &, it would be great to get a reply from those persons as to their
> perspective on this issue.

This question might be better asked in the kubuntu-devel list or in
#kubuntu-devel on freenode as you will more likely get a response there,
imo.

Clay