Old 06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Thomas Olsen

Default Kernel hell

Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I could
easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the situation ;-)
I have tried a variety of different kernels:

2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
2.6.34-020634-generic
2.6.32-23-generic
2.6.32-22-generic
2.6.32-22-generic
2.6.32-21-generic

Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never
reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop.
If anyone experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn't look promising. So now I
have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid kernel and see
if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X performance (if it even
runs) and crash other applications but I'd rather live with that than having
to reboot all the time.
Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so how
should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren't they somehow partly
kernel modules now?).
--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday, June 28, 2010, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
> crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
> frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I could
> easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the situation ;-)
> I have tried a variety of different kernels:
>
> 2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
> 2.6.34-020634-generic
> 2.6.32-23-generic
> 2.6.32-22-generic
> 2.6.32-22-generic
> 2.6.32-21-generic
>
> Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never
> reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop.
> If anyone experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn't look promising. So
> now I have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid
> kernel and see if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X
> performance (if it even runs) and crash other applications but I'd rather
> live with that than having to reboot all the time.
> Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so how
> should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren't they somehow partly
> kernel modules now?).

Have you considered that you may have a hardware problem???

I have both AMD64 and i386 versions of 10.4 running on 4 different machines
since beta with nary a crash... not one.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Monday 28 June 2010 14:16:08 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday, June 28, 2010, Thomas Olsen wrote:
>
> Have you considered that you may have a hardware problem???
>
> I have both AMD64 and i386 versions of 10.4 running on 4 different machines
> since beta with nary a crash... not one.

I ran an extensive 6 hrs. memtest which didn't show any errors and it didn't
appear until I installed Lucid.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Bruce Marshall

On Monday, June 28, 2010, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> > Have you considered that you may have a hardware problem???
> >

> > I have both AMD64 and i386 versions of 10.4 running on 4 different
> > machines since beta with nary a crash... not one.
>
> I ran an extensive 6 hrs. memtest which didn't show any errors and it
> didn't appear until I installed Lucid.

Then I would go back to 9.10 rather than have a mish-mash of kernels and
other problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Monday 28 June 2010 14:34:07 Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Monday, June 28, 2010, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > > Have you considered that you may have a hardware problem???
> > >

> > > I have both AMD64 and i386 versions of 10.4 running on 4 different
> > > machines since beta with nary a crash... not one.
> >
> > I ran an extensive 6 hrs. memtest which didn't show any errors and it
> > didn't appear until I installed Lucid.
>
> Then I would go back to 9.10 rather than have a mish-mash of kernels and
> other problems.

Argh! Hmm - don't wanna do that either. Go to think a bit about what to do.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM
Frans Ketelaars

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:39:56 +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:

> Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
> crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
> frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I
> could easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the
> situation ;-) I have tried a variety of different kernels:
>
> 2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
> 2.6.34-020634-generic
> 2.6.32-23-generic
> 2.6.32-22-generic
> 2.6.32-22-generic
> 2.6.32-21-generic
>
> Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never
> reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop. If anyone
> experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn't look promising. So
> now I have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid
> kernel and see if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X
> performance (if it even runs) and crash other applications but I'd
> rather live with that than having to reboot all the time.
> Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so
> how should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren't they somehow
> partly kernel modules now?).

I googled: -> "*ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking" crash <- and found
among others this:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/intel-82845g-788563/

That link as well as the google results suggest to me that it's a
problem with the Intel integrated graphics and happens with a lot of
distro's.

Unfortunately you can't add a video card to your computer AFAIK .

Good luck!

-Frans

Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
"D. R. Evans"

Thomas Olsen said the following at 06/28/2010 05:39 AM :
> Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
> crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very

Are you running lmsensors, or any other kind of sensor program?

If so, try turning them off (or, even better, removing them entirely from
the system so there's no possibility of them running).

A couple of years ago I experienced a very similar situation to yours
(although fortunately for me, my crashes were days or weeks apart instead
of hours), and after many months I eventually figured out that a sensor
module was the cause.

Doc

--
Web: http://www.sff.net/people/N7DR

Old 06-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 16:52:36 Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 13:39:56 +0200, Thomas Olsen wrote:
> > Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
> > crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
> > frustrating and effectively breaks your workflow to put it mildly. I
> > could easily come up with other, more harsh ways to describe the
> > situation ;-) I have tried a variety of different kernels:
> >
> > 2.6.35-020635rc1-generic
> > 2.6.34-020634-generic
> > 2.6.32-23-generic
> > 2.6.32-22-generic
> > 2.6.32-22-generic
> > 2.6.32-21-generic
> >
> > Some I can (sometimes) boot and let me work for 0-20 hours, others never
> > reaches the login screen or goes into an infinite reboot loop. If anyone
> > experience the same or similar the relevant bug report is at
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/585734 and it doesn't look promising. So
> > now I have come to the conclusion that I need to install a pre-Lucid
> > kernel and see if I can get it running. It will probably degrade X
> > performance (if it even runs) and crash other applications but I'd
> > rather live with that than having to reboot all the time.
> > Is it at all a viable solution to install a pre-Lucid kernel and if so
> > how should it be done. What about graphic drivers (aren't they somehow
> > partly kernel modules now?).
>
> I googled: -> "*ERROR* EIR stuck: 0x00000010, masking" crash <- and found
> among others this:
>
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/intel-82845g-788563/
>
> That link as well as the google results suggest to me that it's a
> problem with the Intel integrated graphics and happens with a lot of
> distro's.

For whatever reason I didn't think of googling it. I'll have a look at it.

> Unfortunately you can't add a video card to your computer AFAIK .

Nope. It's a lunchbox form factor PC so there's no room for anything.

> Good luck!

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 17:14:54 D. R. Evans wrote:
> Thomas Olsen said the following at 06/28/2010 05:39 AM :
> > Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had kernel
> > crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day. It's very
>
> Are you running lmsensors, or any other kind of sensor program?
>
> If so, try turning them off (or, even better, removing them entirely from
> the system so there's no possibility of them running).
>
> A couple of years ago I experienced a very similar situation to yours
> (although fortunately for me, my crashes were days or weeks apart instead
> of hours), and after many months I eventually figured out that a sensor
> module was the cause.

Actually I tried to install lm-sensors a while ago but it didn't work on my
system. I can see that I failed to un-install them and will do now.
What is the module called? I didn't see anything from lsmod that looked like
it had anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Old 06-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Thomas Olsen

On Tuesday 29 June 2010 17:43:20 Thomas Olsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 June 2010 17:14:54 D. R. Evans wrote:
> > Thomas Olsen said the following at 06/28/2010 05:39 AM :
> > > Ever since I finally installed Kubuntu 10.4 Lucid Lynx I have had
> > > kernel crashes at least once a day, sometimes up to ten times a day.
> > > It's very
> >
> > Are you running lmsensors, or any other kind of sensor program?
> >
> > If so, try turning them off (or, even better, removing them entirely from
> > the system so there's no possibility of them running).
> >
> > A couple of years ago I experienced a very similar situation to yours
> > (although fortunately for me, my crashes were days or weeks apart instead
> > of hours), and after many months I eventually figured out that a sensor
> > module was the cause.
>
> Actually I tried to install lm-sensors a while ago but it didn't work on my
> system. I can see that I failed to un-install them and will do now.
> What is the module called? I didn't see anything from lsmod that looked
> like it had anything to do with it.
>
> Thanks!

I un-installed lm-sensors but if I try to un-install libsensors4 I get:

tol@tanghus:~$ sudo aptitude purge libsensors4
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done