Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 AM
Gerardo

Default Help burning .vob to dvd

I ripped the main movie of a DVD using vobcopy and created a large .vob
file (4.2 GB). The .vob file has 4 audio tracks and 3 subtitle tracks
and plays well on vlc and mplayer. I would like to burn it to a DVD
without any menus. I tried

dvdauthor --title -o newdvd/ Movie.vob

but got the following error:
ERR: SCR moves backwards, remultiplex input.

I also tried

ffmpeg -i Movie.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy Movie.mpg

but the new movie loses the extra audio and subtitle tracks, which I
would like to preserve.

Any ideas?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:34 AM
Basil Chupin

On 28/06/10 15:11, Gerardo wrote:
> I ripped the main movie of a DVD using vobcopy and created a large .vob
> file (4.2 GB).

Why would you want to do that?

Why not simply use k9copy which is designed to do just this.

And then use k3b to burn the "ripped" files to DVD.

Or use k9copy and configure it to burn directly to the DVD.

> The .vob file has 4 audio tracks and 3 subtitle tracks
> and plays well on vlc and mplayer. I would like to burn it to a DVD
> without any menus. I tried
>
> dvdauthor --title -o newdvd/ Movie.vob
>
> but got the following error:
> ERR: SCR moves backwards, remultiplex input.
>
> I also tried
>
> ffmpeg -i Movie.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy Movie.mpg
>
> but the new movie loses the extra audio and subtitle tracks, which I
> would like to preserve.
>
> Any ideas?

See above.

BC

Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Gerardo

Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 28/06/10 15:11, Gerardo wrote:
>> I ripped the main movie of a DVD using vobcopy and created a large .vob
>> file (4.2 GB).
>

> Why would you want to do that?
>
> Why not simply use k9copy which is designed to do just this.
>
> And then use k3b to burn the "ripped" files to DVD.
>
> Or use k9copy and configure it to burn directly to the DVD.
>

>> The .vob file has 4 audio tracks and 3 subtitle tracks
>> and plays well on vlc and mplayer. I would like to burn it to a DVD
>> without any menus. I tried
>>
>> dvdauthor --title -o newdvd/ Movie.vob
>>
>> but got the following error:
>> ERR: SCR moves backwards, remultiplex input.
>>
>> I also tried
>>
>> ffmpeg -i Movie.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy Movie.mpg
>>
>> but the new movie loses the extra audio and subtitle tracks, which I
>> would like to preserve.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> See above.
>
> BC

Because the origignal DVD is gone so I can't rip it anymore. I know I
could've used k9copy, but right now I'm stuck with that large .vob file.
Your answer doesn't help.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Monday, June 28, 2010 09:44:25 am Gerardo wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > On 28/06/10 15:11, Gerardo wrote:
> >> I ripped the main movie of a DVD using vobcopy and created a large .vob
> >> file (4.2 GB).
> >

> > Why would you want to do that?
> >
> > Why not simply use k9copy which is designed to do just this.
> >
> > And then use k3b to burn the "ripped" files to DVD.
> >
> > Or use k9copy and configure it to burn directly to the DVD.
> >

> >> The .vob file has 4 audio tracks and 3 subtitle tracks
> >> and plays well on vlc and mplayer. I would like to burn it to a DVD
> >> without any menus. I tried
> >>
> >> dvdauthor --title -o newdvd/ Movie.vob
> >>
> >> but got the following error:
> >> ERR: SCR moves backwards, remultiplex input.
> >>
> >> I also tried
> >>
> >> ffmpeg -i Movie.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy Movie.mpg
> >>
> >> but the new movie loses the extra audio and subtitle tracks, which I
> >> would like to preserve.
> >>
> >> Any ideas?
> >>

> > See above.
> >
> > BC
> >

> Because the origignal DVD is gone so I can't rip it anymore. I know I
> could've used k9copy, but right now I'm stuck with that large .vob file.
> Your answer doesn't help.

You may be able to use K3b to make an .iso from the .vob files and then be
able to burn that. Make the audio and video folders, copy the .vob files to the
video folder then drop it all in the iso and create. Use another dvd to get the
exact folder names and folder structure.
Test it by mounting the iso as a cd. Then see if you can play it as one using
a movie player. If you can do that then it will work as a dvd once you burn it.

You could also use different software to make the .vob files into an .avi or ,ogv
format then use devede to make a dvd. I'm not sure if devede supports .vob
files so try that first if you use this method. My dvd drive is broken so I can't test it.

--
Alan

"Now no one has to tell an old Aberdeene pub-crawler how to applaud, captain."
Montgomery Scott

Old 06-29-2010, 05:13 AM
Basil Chupin

On 28/06/10 23:44, Gerardo wrote:
> Basil Chupin wrote:
>
>> On 28/06/10 15:11, Gerardo wrote:
>>
>>> I ripped the main movie of a DVD using vobcopy and created a large .vob
>>> file (4.2 GB).
>>>

>> Why would you want to do that?
>>
>> Why not simply use k9copy which is designed to do just this.
>>
>> And then use k3b to burn the "ripped" files to DVD.
>>
>> Or use k9copy and configure it to burn directly to the DVD.
>>

>>> The .vob file has 4 audio tracks and 3 subtitle tracks
>>> and plays well on vlc and mplayer. I would like to burn it to a DVD
>>> without any menus. I tried
>>>
>>> dvdauthor --title -o newdvd/ Movie.vob
>>>
>>> but got the following error:
>>> ERR: SCR moves backwards, remultiplex input.
>>>
>>> I also tried
>>>
>>> ffmpeg -i Movie.vob -acodec copy -vcodec copy -scodec copy Movie.mpg
>>>
>>> but the new movie loses the extra audio and subtitle tracks, which I
>>> would like to preserve.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> See above.
>>
>> BC
>>

> Because the origignal DVD is gone so I can't rip it anymore. I know I
> could've used k9copy, but right now I'm stuck with that large .vob file.
> Your answer doesn't help.

No? At least you know how to do it correctly next time, right?

BC

Old 06-29-2010, 05:25 AM
Basil Chupin

On 29/06/10 01:37, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:
> On Monday, June 28, 2010 09:44:25 am Gerardo wrote:
>
>> Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Why would you want to do that?
>>>
>>> Why not simply use k9copy which is designed to do just this.
>>>
>>> And then use k3b to burn the "ripped" files to DVD.
>>>
>>> Or use k9copy and configure it to burn directly to the DVD.

>>> See above.
>>>
>>> BC
>>>

>> Because the origignal DVD is gone so I can't rip it anymore. I know I
>> could've used k9copy, but right now I'm stuck with that large .vob file.
>> Your answer doesn't help.
>>

> You may be able to use K3b to make an .iso from the .vob files

The trouble is he created one big, massive, blob of a vob file 4.2GB big
- so there are no multiple files to play with.

The only thing I can suggest, which I have never used so know nothing
about it, is to try dvdstyler.

BC

Old 06-29-2010, 11:50 PM
"Alan Dacey Sr."

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 01:25:34 am Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 29/06/10 01:37, Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:

> >> Because the origignal DVD is gone so I can't rip it anymore. I know I
> >> could've used k9copy, but right now I'm stuck with that large .vob file.
> >> Your answer doesn't help.
> >>

> > You may be able to use K3b to make an .iso from the .vob files
>
> The trouble is he created one big, massive, blob of a vob file 4.2GB big
> - so there are no multiple files to play with.
>
> The only thing I can suggest, which I have never used so know nothing
> about it, is to try dvdstyler.
>
> BC

I got a hold of a dvd so I have some vob files to play with. I just used DivX
Converter to make a 230MB avi file from a 1024mb vob file.

I also found that Devede handles vob files quite well. It has an option to
make a menu-less iso ready for burning. So I would try out devede and
see if it can handle what you made. It does use ffmpeg behind the
scenes but is a lot more user-friendly.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:48 AM
Gerardo

Alan Dacey Sr. wrote:

> I got a hold of a dvd so I have some vob files to play with. I just used DivX
> Converter to make a 230MB avi file from a 1024mb vob file.
>
> I also found that Devede handles vob files quite well. It has an option to
> make a menu-less iso ready for burning. So I would try out devede and
> see if it can handle what you made. It does use ffmpeg behind the
> scenes but is a lot more user-friendly.

Devede makes the DVD, but drops the extra audio tracks. I got pretty
close to getting what I need by:

ffmpeg -target ntsc-dvd -i oldmovie.vob -vcodec copy -acodec copy
newmovie.mpg -acodec copy -newaudio -acodec copy -newaudio -acodec copy
-newaudio -scodec copy -newsubtitle -scodec copy -newsubtitle -scodec
copy -newsubtitle

The process ran for a few minutes, then I got the error:
"av_interleaved_write_frame(): Error while opening file"
which seems to be an FFmpeg bug (https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/issue807)