Old 06-27-2010, 01:38 AM
Lance DeVooght

Default Remote control of desktop

Hi all.

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I have a challenge that I hope to
get help with.

I will be giving my mother a laptop (hopefully) with Kubuntu 10.04
installed,

I want to be able to remotely login to her laptop and control her desktop.
That way I can fix any problems she runs into, such as the need to install
a new application. I could also use it to walk her through any operation
that she is unfamiliar with.

The problem is, mom has no broadband in her home. She lives in a very remote
location in northern Michigan.

But, I was hoping that when she visits a McDonnalds or a friend's house
where she can get on their wifi (yes she does get into the big city
occasionally), then I could connect to her laptop.

However, in the above scenario she would not have an Internet routable IP
address (using NAT) and also no ability (physically, or technically) to set
up port forwarding on the router.

Is there a way to connect to mom under these circumstances?

TIA,

Lance

Old 06-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Bruce Marshall

On Saturday, June 26, 2010, Lance DeVooght wrote:
> But, I was hoping that when she visits a McDonnalds or a friend's house
> where she can get on their wifi (yes she does get into the big city
> occasionally), then I could connect to her laptop.

But normally she uses dial-up??

Set up a dyndns address for her.... and connect that way. Might be slow
but better than nothing.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:20 AM
Lance DeVooght

Bruce Marshall wrote:

> On Saturday, June 26, 2010, Lance DeVooght wrote:
>> But, I was hoping that when she visits a McDonnalds or a friend's house
>> where she can get on their wifi (yes she does get into the big city
>> occasionally), then I could connect to her laptop.
>
> But normally she uses dial-up??
>
> Set up a dyndns address for her.... and connect that way. Might be
> slow but better than nothing.

No, I guess I should have made that clear.
She has NO Internet access from home.
Besides, I don't even want to contemplate how painful remote access
to a live desktop would be over a slow dial-up connection.

My sister lived with her for awhile and tried to use a dial-up account.
It was slowwwww, unreliable, and ridiculously expensive. Oh, and did I
mention that it was sloooowwwww? She is a long way from the phone company's
point of presence, so even the, mythological, 56K was not achievable.

I read recently that there are places in rural India with better Internet
access than is available in parts of Michigan--here in the middle of the
good ole' U S of A. Go figure.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:21 AM
"Adil ALPMAN"

I understand ur problem very clear Dear Lance. My suggestion is TeamViewer
for you...

You dont need any port forwarding, any nat and any extra modem or router
settings with this program...

Even ur moms laptop hasnt got wine, this program has got iy internally for
itself... (because of, it is a windows program normally but u can find it
its linux version which using with integrated wine)

Please download program then try to use it (it doesnt need any installation
just download [i think its offical .deb version can work in kubuntu, if not
u can use its .tar.gz package] and use...

Please dont hesitate to ask if u will have any problem with it...

Have a nice work...

Adil ALPMAN

Old 06-27-2010, 04:49 AM
Lance DeVooght

Adil ALPMAN wrote:

> I understand ur problem very clear Dear Lance. My suggestion is TeamViewer
> for you...
>
> You dont need any port forwarding, any nat and any extra modem or router
> settings with this program...
>
> Even ur moms laptop hasnt got wine, this program has got iy internally for
> itself... (because of, it is a windows program normally but u can find it
> its linux version which using with integrated wine)
>
> Please download program then try to use it (it doesnt need any
> installation just download [i think its offical .deb version can work in
> kubuntu, if not u can use its .tar.gz package] and use...
>
> Please dont hesitate to ask if u will have any problem with it...
>
> Have a nice work...
>
> Adil ALPMAN

Thanks Adil, that looks like it may do what I need.
I will continue to seek native Linux solutions, but it
is good to see that if there are none then this might do it.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
"Adil ALPMAN"

U r welcome Lance, i want to advice completely linux program (solution) to
you, too, but there is no alternative better then this one, till now...

I hope it will be good for you...

Old 07-07-2010, 02:37 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Lance DeVooght <cyborghunter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to be able to remotely login to her laptop and control her desktop.
> That way I can fix any problems she runs into, such as the need to install
> a new application. I could also use it to walk her through any operation
> that she is unfamiliar with.

I do this all the time. I have a dyndns address for my home system.
I have the laptop ssh to my home system and do a remote forward. You
can do it on the ssh commandline, or put it in your .ssh/config file
like I do:
Host home
User myuser
Hostname my.dyndns.address
RemoteForward 2222 localhost:22
so now when I connect to port 2222 on my home machine it ends up going
to port 22 on my laptop.

For your mom you'd probably want to forward to her VNC port which is
5900, I think.

So you'd want to create a script for you mom that starts a VNC server
in the background, then ssh's to your home system and port forwards
from your home port 5900 to her port 5900. Create a desktop icon for
this script so she just has to click it.

Then after she does that, you would vnc to localhost:0 which would get
forward3ed to her vnc server and voila! You are controlling her
desktop.

HTH,

Michael

Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Lance DeVooght

Michael,

If I understand you correctly, then, yes that sounds like it may work.
However, cobbling all of those pieces together and automating it
with scripts will take a considerable amount of study on my part.
I am not a new Linux user, but I have not worked with ssh and VNC,
not having had a need.

Never the less, I do have a DynDNS account (that I haven't been using)
and I don't mind a challenge. So, I'll probably jump in and give it a try.

A few questions though please?

You say, "I have the laptop ssh to my home system and do a remote forward."
I'm not sure what all of that means, but then you seem to contradict it
with, "For your mom you'd probably want to forward to her VNC port which is
5900, I think."
In addition, you describe doing ssh forwarding on your, "Host home," not
your laptop. Why?

And, why do you do the whole, "RemoteForward 2222 localhost:22" thing?
I mean, what's the point of port 2222?

Thank you very much,

Lance

Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Michael Hirsch

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Lance DeVooght <cyborghunter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Michael,
>
> If I understand you correctly, then, yes that sounds like it may work.
> However, cobbling all of those pieces together and automating it
> with scripts will take a considerable amount of study on my part.

There is an "autossh" that may help with some of it, but there really
isn't a whole lot here. Practice on the command line, then paste the
commands into a script and you are mostly done.

> I am not a new Linux user, but I have not worked with ssh and VNC,
> not having had a need.
>
> Never the less, I do have a DynDNS account (that I haven't been using)
> and I don't mind a challenge. So, I'll probably jump in and give it a try.
>
> A few questions though please?
>
> You say, "I have the laptop ssh to my home system and do a remote forward."
> I'm not sure what all of that means, but then you seem to contradict it
> with, "For your mom you'd probably want to forward to her VNC port which is
> 5900, I think."

Not a contradiction, but a different application. I forward to the
ssh port (22) because I want to ssh. You should forward to the VNC
port because you want to VNC.

> In addition, you describe doing ssh forwarding on your, "Host home," *not
> your laptop. Why?
>
> And, why do you do the whole, "RemoteForward 2222 localhost:22" thing?

All the "magic" of this technique is in that line. That line in the
.ssh/config file tells ssh that when the laptop logs in to my home
desktop, it instructs the desktop to forward any connection to port
2222 on the desktop to port 22 on the laptop. So now there is a
tunnel from my home to my laptop, without any need to modify routers
fiddle with DNS or anything.

I recommend reading the ssh man pages

> I mean, what's the point of port 2222?

It is what I use. I need some port on my desktop and port 22 is
already in use, so I chose 2222. It can be almost anything. I
suggest that you use the same port number on home and laptop to reduce
confusion.

Try this. You'll need to have both your home system and your mom's
system available.
1. Generate an ssh key for your mother.
2. Configure your home system and router so that she can "ssh
lance.dyndns.org" (or whatever your home IP address is) and login to
your machine.
3. On the laptop, setup her .ssh/config file so that she can login
with just "ssh lance". So you'll need a simple entry in the config
file that looks like
Host lance
Hostname lance.dyndns.org
4. Test that it works.
5. Add this line to the configuration your built in the previous step.
RemoteForward 5900 localhost:5900
6. "ssh lance" from the laptop and stay logged in.
7. Run a vnc server on the laptop on port 5900 (i.e. vnc port :0)
8. Test that it woks.
7. Try to vnc to localhost:0 from the desktop.

If all that works for you, then you just have to put steps 6 and 7
into a script on the laptop and you are done.
Michael

Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Lance DeVooght

Michael,

Thanks for not taking offense to the word "contradict."
I forgot to emphasize the "seem to" before that and say that I know that
it is surely a matter of my own ignorance.

I will indeed (and have begun to) read the ssh and VNC documentation.

I really appreciate the walk-through that will help a great deal.

Perhaps one (or two) last bit of clarification?
The home desktop (and only the desktop) only runs a ssh server?
And mom's laptop (and only the laptop) only runs a VNC server?

Or, put another way the laptop is a ssh client only and the desktop is
a VNC client only... yes?

Hmmm, re-reading your directions, it seems that mom's laptop would need to
be running ssh-server also... no?

Oh, and yes, I have no given mom her laptop yet, so I still have it.

Anyway, thanks again,

Lance