Old 06-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Ric Moore

Default Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4, (Reinhold Rumberger)

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 10:10 +0100, Brian Wootton wrote:

> 1) in skype only, my voice gets totally distorted when using any
> microphone, Audacity record/replay works fine with the same
> hardware set-up.

I use my USB headphone with a boom mike for VoIP in OpenWonderland, a
Java based project which is an open source 3D meeting/educational
environment, cross-platform and heavily dependent on a working sound
system setup. They use Ubuntu as the model Linux development
installation. A major problem has been where a user has a microphone /
external speaker set up which makes feedback, and that transmits to all
the other users in the 3D world. Usually there is a huge distortion /
echo noted by the logged-in users. If you are using a setup similar to
mine, try reducing your mike volume. See if that helps. If your earcups
are not snug fitting, reduce the speaker volume as well.

Otherwise, I have also had problems with IRQ's being shared between my
USB hub and another device. I flashed my bios successfully and that
seemed to help... especially with my Athlon 3200 CPU. Scary procedure,
when you read all of the warnings about killing your motherboard. Type
dmesg in a terminal after a reboot, and see if you see conflicts with
IRQ's being shared. I'm old school, I like them having their own IRQ's,
whenever possible. Heh, "Plug N Play" was a whole new world for me, when
it first came out ...I was so used to jumpers.

"Trouble shooting with a shot-gun" ...Ric