Old 06-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Brian Wootton

Default Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4, (Reinhold Rumberger)

On 26/06/10 03:12, kubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com wrote:

snip
> You pretty much have two choices:
> a) Use Lucid the LTS and forget about pulse.
> b) Use Maverick and be able to use pulse.
>
> If you absolutely need pulse you're going to have to go with option
> b, otherwise there is nothing stopping you from using Lucid with
> alsa.
>
> --Reinhold

As I've said previously, I have lucid on an amd64 and am quite
happy to use alsa and forget PulseAudio,
but....
1) in skype only, my voice gets totally distorted when using any
microphone, Audacity record/replay works fine with the same
hardware set-up.
2) skype help desk only seems to have heard of PulseAudio and
otherwise not too helpful
3) skype worked perfectly with karmic
4) if I attempt to remove all packages which reference Pulse-
Audio, kpackagekit wants to delete 120 odd dependencies,
which seems to include most of KDE.

Can you offer any thought which I might pass on to skype,
otherwise I guess I'll have to use win7 to phone all my skype
contacts which is a pain.
Apologies for binding on so much
brian