Old 06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default Going nuts on Nepomuk

Trying to use Lucid with KDE SC 4.4 installed from kubuntu updates ppa

I made a fresh install, put back old data from a backup and have got
most things working. Except for the fact that some changes in the kernel
has rendered a working 3G-modem useless (still working on that one) my
main problem at the moment is that Strigi refuse to autostart. In fact I
doubt the whole Nepomuk thing is working even though I have ticked them
in System Settings - Desktop Search

Every time I boot I have to start Strigi manually, first I get a message
"Strigi service failed to initialize,
most likely due to an installation problem."
It then starts and seemingly starts to index but no tag or such things
exist in Dolphin and every time I reboot I come back to the same scenario.

Any ideas, I can not find any info on how to trace if Nepomuk even
works... or where any logs might be or even so much as a FAQ "out there"

Sinclair, somewhat longing back to 9.10 "stable"

Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 PM
Valter Mura

In data venerd́ 25 giugno 2010 13:35:01, O. Sinclair ha scritto:

> Trying to use Lucid with KDE SC 4.4 installed from kubuntu updates ppa
>
> I made a fresh install, put back old data from a backup and have got
> most things working. Except for the fact that some changes in the kernel
> has rendered a working 3G-modem useless (still working on that one) my
> main problem at the moment is that Strigi refuse to autostart. In fact I
> doubt the whole Nepomuk thing is working even though I have ticked them
> in System Settings - Desktop Search
>
> Every time I boot I have to start Strigi manually, first I get a message
> "Strigi service failed to initialize,
> most likely due to an installation problem."
> It then starts and seemingly starts to index but no tag or such things
> exist in Dolphin and every time I reboot I come back to the same scenario.
>
> Any ideas, I can not find any info on how to trace if Nepomuk even
> works... or where any logs might be or even so much as a FAQ "out there"
>
> Sinclair, somewhat longing back to 9.10 "stable"

Try here:

http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk

--
Valter
Kubuntu Linux: www.kubuntu.org

Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 25/06/2010 16:47, Valter Mura wrote:
> In data venerd́ 25 giugno 2010 13:35:01, O. Sinclair ha scritto:
>
>> Trying to use Lucid with KDE SC 4.4 installed from kubuntu updates ppa
>>
>> I made a fresh install, put back old data from a backup and have got
>> most things working. Except for the fact that some changes in the kernel
>> has rendered a working 3G-modem useless (still working on that one) my
>> main problem at the moment is that Strigi refuse to autostart. In fact I
>> doubt the whole Nepomuk thing is working even though I have ticked them
>> in System Settings - Desktop Search
>>
>> Every time I boot I have to start Strigi manually, first I get a message
>> "Strigi service failed to initialize,
>> most likely due to an installation problem."
>> It then starts and seemingly starts to index but no tag or such things
>> exist in Dolphin and every time I reboot I come back to the same scenario.
>>
>> Any ideas, I can not find any info on how to trace if Nepomuk even
>> works... or where any logs might be or even so much as a FAQ "out there"
>>
>> Sinclair, somewhat longing back to 9.10 "stable"
>
> Try here:
>
> http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk

Sadly that gives no clue whatsoever on how to try and figure out what
Neponuke needs to start/work, what Strigi depends on, where any logs
might be residing etc.

After MUCH searching I have a bad feeling that installing openoffice
Base that pulls in Sun Java and removes OpenJava (or whatever it is
called) is the problem. As it seems that strigi backend virtouos or
soprano or whatever it is called depends on java. Possibly.

seriously, I am consider backing down to 9.10 and stay there until KDE
SC 4 or 5 or something becomes stable and just not ambitious

As it is now my well working 3G Edge modem does not work any longer,
apparently due to changes in the kernel or not using HAL or whatever,
all USB connected items "flicker" occasionally (cease to function for a
while), networkmanager-kde is as crappy as ever etc etc. Most of that is
not KDE related, it is just a kernel that seems weird and full of
regressions.

However, sorry for the rant but can we (read the developers and
maintainers) focus on stability and functionality for a while before
dreaming up new innovations that noone uses?

I support and maintain around 150 users mixed WindowsXP, Windows7,
Kubuntu 8.04 and 9.10. NO USER sits and tags/rates their files or use
any computer search engine. Mostly they use wordprocessing/spreadsheets,
email software, internet browsing, listen to music and edit a photo now
and then. 3G USB modems are increasingly becoming the normal way to
connect outside offices/hotels.

This whole "advanced functionality" is a bit like Windows DCOM or COM+
that few users are aware of and that can seriously mess up your system
if anything is done wrong. Believe me, I support one of those nightmare
Windows apps that are "anything one byte wrong in DCOM COM+ and you are
history, start all over". The whole Akonadi and Nepomuk this far feels
the same to me - take one wrong turn and you have to trace what you did
and then reinstall minus that move/installation.

There is a whole lot of steam coming off here. KDE is beatiful but I am
seriously worried over the direction the development is taking.
Apps/functions that many think need attention, examples KBluetooth and
NetworkmanagerKDE, seems to be at standstill while we are being
guinea-pigs for something that is wonderful technically but pretty
useless in real work.

Yours angry after a lost week and 2 attempts of installing 10.04 and SC 4.4
Sinclair

Old 06-28-2010, 07:28 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 28 June 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 25/06/2010 16:47, Valter Mura wrote:
> > In data venerd́ 25 giugno 2010 13:35:01, O. Sinclair ha scritto:
> >> Every time I boot I have to start Strigi manually, first I get
> >> a message "Strigi service failed to initialize,
> >> most likely due to an installation problem."

Strigi is completely independent of Nepomuk and KDE in general.
Nepomuk just uses it like any browser may use a web server. And like
you would (hopefully) not blame server configuration errors on the
browser, you shouldn't blame Nepomuk for your incorrectly configured
Strigi. (You *do* have the strigi-daemon package installed, don't
you?)

> >> It then starts and seemingly starts to index but no tag or such
> >> things exist in Dolphin and every time I reboot I come back to
> >> the same scenario.
> >>
> >> Any ideas, I can not find any info on how to trace if Nepomuk
> >> even works...

Simple: if you're able to tag files in dolphin, Nepomuk works...
Also, if it doesn't cause some error popup, that's a strong
indication that it works...

> >> or where any logs might be or even so much as a
> >> FAQ "out there"
> >>
> >> Sinclair, somewhat longing back to 9.10 "stable"
>
> After MUCH searching I have a bad feeling that installing
> openoffice Base that pulls in Sun Java and removes OpenJava (or
> whatever it is called) is the problem. As it seems that strigi
> backend virtouos or soprano or whatever it is called depends on
> java. Possibly.

That's not the/a problem.

> seriously, I am consider backing down to 9.10 and stay there until
> KDE SC 4 or 5 or something becomes stable and just not ambitious

It is rather stable, the main problem now is that not all apps have
(fully) transitioned to the new framework...
Also, in the case of Akonadi, there's a serious lack of testing.

<snip rant>

> However, sorry for the rant but can we (read the developers and
> maintainers) focus on stability and functionality for a while
> before dreaming up new innovations that noone uses?

You're seemingly confusing Kubuntu, KDE and the kernel. KDE has
nothing to do with the kernel, and they haven't done much innovating
since KDE 4.3. The last few releases had their main focus on
stability and Look&Feel - Kubuntu fucking up the configuration can't
be blamed on KDE and isn't a reason for them to stop development.

> I support and maintain around 150 users mixed WindowsXP, Windows7,
> Kubuntu 8.04 and 9.10. NO USER sits and tags/rates their files or
> use any computer search engine. Mostly they use
> wordprocessing/spreadsheets, email software, internet browsing,
> listen to music and edit a photo now and then. 3G USB modems are
> increasingly becoming the normal way to connect outside
> offices/hotels.

They don't need Nepomuk then, do they now? Maybe you should simply
disable it and save yourself some system resources while you're about
it...

<snipping COM rant>

Akonadi, DBUS, HAL and all the other innovations aren't like COM at
all. You're comparing comparing apples with cow dung here... :-P

--Reinhold

Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 28/06/2010 10:22, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
>
> Strigi is completely independent of Nepomuk and KDE in general.
> Nepomuk just uses it like any browser may use a web server. And like
> you would (hopefully) not blame server configuration errors on the
> browser, you shouldn't blame Nepomuk for your incorrectly configured
> Strigi. (You *do* have the strigi-daemon package installed, don't
> you?)

> Simple: if you're able to tag files in dolphin, Nepomuk works...
> Also, if it doesn't cause some error popup, that's a strong
> indication that it works...

>> After MUCH searching I have a bad feeling that installing
>> openoffice Base that pulls in Sun Java and removes OpenJava (or
>> whatever it is called) is the problem. As it seems that strigi
>> backend virtouos or soprano or whatever it is called depends on
>> java. Possibly.
>
> That's not the/a problem.
>
>> seriously, I am consider backing down to 9.10 and stay there until
>> KDE SC 4 or 5 or something becomes stable and just not ambitious
>
> It is rather stable, the main problem now is that not all apps have
> (fully) transitioned to the new framework...
> Also, in the case of Akonadi, there's a serious lack of testing.
>
> <snip rant>
>
>> However, sorry for the rant but can we (read the developers and
>> maintainers) focus on stability and functionality for a while
>> before dreaming up new innovations that noone uses?
>
> You're seemingly confusing Kubuntu, KDE and the kernel. KDE has
> nothing to do with the kernel, and they haven't done much innovating
> since KDE 4.3. The last few releases had their main focus on
> stability and Look&Feel - Kubuntu fucking up the configuration can't
> be blamed on KDE and isn't a reason for them to stop development.
>
>> I support and maintain around 150 users mixed WindowsXP, Windows7,
>> Kubuntu 8.04 and 9.10. NO USER sits and tags/rates their files or
>> use any computer search engine. Mostly they use
>> wordprocessing/spreadsheets, email software, internet browsing,
>> listen to music and edit a photo now and then. 3G USB modems are
>> increasingly becoming the normal way to connect outside
>> offices/hotels.
>
> They don't need Nepomuk then, do they now? Maybe you should simply
> disable it and save yourself some system resources while you're about
> it...
>
> <snipping COM rant>
>
> Akonadi, DBUS, HAL and all the other innovations aren't like COM at
> all. You're comparing comparing apples with cow dung here... :-P
>
> --Reinhold

Well - I agree with you that I confuse distribution issues with KDE
issues... as I have stated in other emails though I feel that an LTS
release should focus on stability and I am not getting that feeling from
10.04. Whether that is Ubuntu or Kubuntu or the choice of KDE SC version
I can not yet say.

as for the com+ dcom thing it was just an example of technology "under
the hood" that can seriously mess up your system - as it seems so far
that Akonadi et al can.

And as for Nepomuk - I have tried looking around (and I am no newbie)
for documentation on how it works, how I can try and find errors, logs
etc. I have found nothing.

As it is now, no I can not rate, tag or comment though the panels are
there in Dolphin. Neither is there any Nepomuk-info in Krunner

When I first disable Strigi, then Nepomuk and then enable them again I
get the following message on Strigi before it seemingly starts:
"The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by
any .service files"

this seems to be related to the backend that should be virtuoso. But
what it means, what Nepomuk or Strigi needs etc - I am in the dark.

Any pointers welcome

Sinclair

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 28 June 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
> On 28/06/2010 10:22, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> > On Monday 28 June 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
> > That's not the/a problem.
> >
> >> seriously, I am consider backing down to 9.10 and stay there
> >> until KDE SC 4 or 5 or something becomes stable and just not
> >> ambitious
> >
> > It is rather stable, the main problem now is that not all apps
> > have (fully) transitioned to the new framework...
> > Also, in the case of Akonadi, there's a serious lack of testing.
> >
> > <snip rant>
> >
> >> However, sorry for the rant but can we (read the developers and
> >> maintainers) focus on stability and functionality for a while
> >> before dreaming up new innovations that noone uses?
> >
> > You're seemingly confusing Kubuntu, KDE and the kernel. KDE has
> > nothing to do with the kernel, and they haven't done much
> > innovating since KDE 4.3. The last few releases had their main
> > focus on stability and Look&Feel - Kubuntu fucking up the
> > configuration can't be blamed on KDE and isn't a reason for
> > them to stop development.
> >
> >> I support and maintain around 150 users mixed WindowsXP,
> >> Windows7, Kubuntu 8.04 and 9.10. NO USER sits and tags/rates
> >> their files or use any computer search engine. Mostly they use
> >> wordprocessing/spreadsheets, email software, internet browsing,
> >> listen to music and edit a photo now and then. 3G USB modems
> >> are increasingly becoming the normal way to connect outside
> >> offices/hotels.
> >
> > They don't need Nepomuk then, do they now? Maybe you should
> > simply disable it and save yourself some system resources while
> > you're about it...
> >
> > <snipping COM rant>
> >
> > Akonadi, DBUS, HAL and all the other innovations aren't like COM
> > at all. You're comparing comparing apples with cow dung here...
> > :-P
>
> Well - I agree with you that I confuse distribution issues with
> KDE issues... as I have stated in other emails though I feel that
> an LTS release should focus on stability and I am not getting
> that feeling from 10.04. Whether that is Ubuntu or Kubuntu or the
> choice of KDE SC version I can not yet say.

You should remember that K/Ubuntu have to run on a lot of different
systems. Using outdated software isn't really an option here. Also,
even though LTS releases are supposed to be more stable than others,
Ubuntu still focuses on getting the most recent software versions
out. If you absolutely need a rock-solid distro, Ubuntu really isn't
the right choice.

> And as for Nepomuk - I have tried looking around (and I am no
> newbie) for documentation on how it works, how I can try and find
> errors, logs etc. I have found nothing.
>
> As it is now, no I can not rate, tag or comment though the panels
> are there in Dolphin. Neither is there any Nepomuk-info in
> Krunner
>
> When I first disable Strigi, then Nepomuk and then enable them
> again I get the following message on Strigi before it seemingly
> starts: "The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not
> provided by any .service files"

Entering that message in google gives me a lot of hits - do none of
them help at all?

> this seems to be related to the backend that should be virtuoso.
> But what it means, what Nepomuk or Strigi needs etc - I am in the
> dark.
>
> Any pointers welcome

Seeing as I don't care for the tagging or having my system
periodically tied up completely, I've never really bothered with
Nepomuk... (except to disable it)

A quick look around finds the following directory, which might
interest you:
/home/<user>/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend/
(other directories below /home/<user>/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/ don't
contain anything here, but might still be worth checking out)

You may also get some info from executing
nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
or
nepomukservicestub nepomukstrigiservice

BTW, I get an error similar to yours, but that isn't surprising as I
don't have strigi installed...

--Reinhold

Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM
"O. Sinclair"

On 28/06/2010 12:08, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> [...]
>> But what it means, what Nepomuk or Strigi needs etc - I am in the
>> dark.
>>
>> Any pointers welcome
>
> Seeing as I don't care for the tagging or having my system
> periodically tied up completely, I've never really bothered with
> Nepomuk... (except to disable it)
>
> A quick look around finds the following directory, which might
> interest you:
> /home/<user>/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend/
> (other directories below /home/<user>/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/ don't
> contain anything here, but might still be worth checking out)
>
> You may also get some info from executing
> nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
> or
> nepomukservicestub nepomukstrigiservice
>
> BTW, I get an error similar to yours, but that isn't surprising as I

Well as it is - when Nepomuk works I see no impact on resources though I
have heard others have problems. You got me a bit on the track with the
.kde/share.... directories, as I restored user data I guess I put back
old stuff there. I emptied them... and voila Nepomuk started to work.

BUT still refuses to autostart and I have manually restart 2-3 times.
And no internet links regarding the error message has given any help

Sinclair

Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Reinhold Rumberger

On Monday 28 June 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
> Well as it is - when Nepomuk works I see no impact on resources
> though I have heard others have problems. You got me a bit on the
> track with the .kde/share.... directories, as I restored user
> data I guess I put back old stuff there. I emptied them... and
> voila Nepomuk started to work.
>
> BUT still refuses to autostart and I have manually restart 2-3
> times. And no internet links regarding the error message has
> given any help

If you restored your old config, there might be some leftovers in
~/.kde/share/config.

If that doesn't help, try the following command to find out which
related packages you have installed - there may be something strange
or missing:
dpkg --get-selections | grep -i "nepomuk|strigi"

--Reinhold

Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM
"O. Sinclair"

On 28/06/2010 14:13, Reinhold Rumberger wrote:
> On Monday 28 June 2010, O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Well as it is - when Nepomuk works I see no impact on resources
>> though I have heard others have problems. You got me a bit on the
>> track with the .kde/share.... directories, as I restored user
>> data I guess I put back old stuff there. I emptied them... and
>> voila Nepomuk started to work.
>>
>> BUT still refuses to autostart and I have manually restart 2-3
>> times. And no internet links regarding the error message has
>> given any help
>
> If you restored your old config, there might be some leftovers in
> ~/.kde/share/config.
>
> If that doesn't help, try the following command to find out which
> related packages you have installed - there may be something strange
> or missing:
> dpkg --get-selections | grep -i "nepomuk|strigi"
>
> --Reinhold

maybe something with .kderc?? But how to know which or what...

the dpkg --get and so on gives:
kdegraphics-strigi-plugins install
kdepim-strigi-plugins install
strigi-daemon install