Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 AM
"O. Sinclair"

Default "95%" SOLVED: How to get mobile broadband, LAN and WIFI working again at the same netbook??!!

On 24/06/2010 23:36, Bas Roufs wrote:
> Hello Mark, Sinclair and Everybody
>
> Thanks for your latest input, Mark.
>
> The following question has been answered for at least "95%" now:

>> You might want to try the gnome networkmanager ....
> So far, the attempt with respect to this package has been successful
> with both mobile broadband and wired LAN. As soon as I can try some
> WIFI connection, I will report also those test results to this forum.

> By following this instruction, I did manage to get nm-applet. So, one
> question remained earlier today:
>
>>> The only question remaining now is the following: how can I change the
>>> start-up settings in such a way that the "nm-applet" automagically
>>> appears AND STAYS in the systray?
>
> The following answer proved to be effective for me:
>> In System Settings->Advanced->Autostart, add a new Program. If you can't find it by
>> browsing the list of 'Known Applications', just type '/usr/bin/nm-applet' into the box.
> Network manager did not appear in the list of "known applications".
> However, by typing '/usr/bin/nm-applet' into the box, I managed to
> integrate networkmanager into Autostart. This became clear tonight
> immediately after restarting the laptop.
>
> OK, I am very satisfied now. Respectfully Yours,

Good to hear you eventually got it working - I am pretty sure you will
find networkmanager-gnome does the job on wireless. It has a "somewhat
better" reputation than networkmanager-kde, sadly.

Sinclair