Old 06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
"giovanni_re"

Default Proper PulseAudio installation for KUbuntu 10.4 ; jor KUbuntu

What's the proper set of packages, & setup actions, to get PulseAudio
working properly on KUbuntu 10.4?

== Background
To assist in Skype setup on a KUbuntu 10.4 system, a friend familiar
with PA on Ubuntu suggested I install some specific PA packages:
padevchooser & pavucontrol. I installed those 2 packages. Which gave
me:
dpkg -l | grep PulseAudio
ii gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio 0.10.21-1ubuntu3
GStreamer plugin for PulseAudio
ii libpulse-browse0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries (zeroconf suppor
ii libpulse-mainloop-glib0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries (glib support)
ii libpulse0
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio client
libraries
ii padevchooser 0.9.3-2ubuntu4
PulseAudio Device Chooser
ii paman 0.9.4-1ubuntu2
PulseAudio Manager
ii paprefs 0.9.9-2ubuntu1
PulseAudio Preferences
ii pavucontrol 0.9.9-1
PulseAudio Volume Control
ii pavumeter 0.9.3-1ubuntu1
PulseAudio Volume Meter
ii pulseaudio
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-esound-compat
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio ESD
compatibility layer
ii pulseaudio-module-gconf
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 GConf module for
PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-module-x11
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 X11 module for
PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 Zeroconf module for
PulseAudio sound server
ii pulseaudio-utils
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 Command line tools for
the PulseAudio sound

I see here:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/AboutPulseAudio
"The following obsolete or out-of-date UI tools have been Developed for
PulseAudio as well:
* PulseAudio Manager
* PulseAudio Volume Meter
* PulseAudio Device Chooser "

So, the chooser is out of date. There's no indication on that page what
it has been replaced with, if anything.

So, firstly, what is the proper set of packages to get a proper PA
system installed on KUbuntu?

I see here:
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup
"Install All Utilities
Make sure to install all auxiliary GUI tools for the PulseAudio sound
server:
* PulseAudio Volume Control
* PulseAudio Volume Meter
* PulseAudio Manager OBSOLETE
* PulseAudio Device Chooser OBSOLETE
* PulseAudio Preferences
The packages are pavucontrol pavumeter paman padevchooser paprefs. "

So, someone should update that page & remove those "oblolete" packages
from the
"Make sure to install" list! And make sure the resultant list is
correct.

Moreover, there should be a list of the proper .deb packages to install
for an Ubuntu (I'm guessing the #1 most used GNU/Linux distro).

What packages should be installed?
Would installing just the
ii pulseaudio
1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu14 PulseAudio sound server
package be sufficient? Or, should others be installed as well.

What GUI tools should be installed to allow a user to easily monitor &
see what settings are in place in the PA system - especially with a view
to debugging to determine why some audio on the system isn't working,
like "why can Audacity output properly, but DragonPlayer makes no
output?" {which is my current problem}.

All that info should be on that web page.

=====
"Current Status
The PulseAudio daemon and utilities are still under heavy development.
Although they are generally considered stable, they haven't seen enough
testing to warrant a first completely stable release."

So, what are the important things to be aware of?
And what are estimated dates for future feature releases?

That is crucial info, given that
http://pulseaudio.org/
shows no releases since Nov 2009 - 6 months ago.

===== Home page improvements:
The PA home page would be greatly improved for potential users if
several items were added to it:
1) A few sentences about "what is the purpose of PA? What uses/needs
does it fulfull? For users? For developers?
2) Here is the suggested set of sw you should install.

======
I'm sending this question to the KUbuntu & PulseAudio mailing lists.

=========
So, what is the proper set of packages to get a proper PA system
installed on KUbuntu?

Thanks for your help

Old 06-24-2010, 07:05 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-06-24 at 00:27 -0700, giovanni_re wrote:
> What's the proper set of packages, & setup actions, to get PulseAudio
> working properly on KUbuntu 10.4?

This reply is a bit late to help, but what I did when I freshly
installed Lucid was to install with Gnome first. That correctly set up
Pulse, which I had nothing but troubles with before. I made sure it
worked as well as pulse can work, for my setup of multi channel sound
and a USB headset ...THEN I installed KDE, with Gnome as my fall back
position should anything go ape. That worked.

Now, if I could figure out how to fix the 2.0 USB front panel slot that
no longer wants to allow me to plugin my headset, I'll be a happy
camper. For whatever reason all the slots on the back side are 1.0
<sighs> Ric